• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

Wow.  *****   [ five starts ]

too bad I can't  do both the " Chef " and " Trophy"  emoji at the same time

Im not sure , as I haven't studied this closely :

eG'er are Upping they Game I think

I think next time I'll used either smoked oysters or smoke my frozen ones......the hint of bacon was good but it needed more.  Maybe just add more bacon....hmmm...

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

More ravioli ......this time I mixed a bit of strained cottage cheese (Ronnie doesn't like ricotta unless it's homemade) with some parm. cheese and diced crisp bacon and some blanched, diced spinach.  Topped with an oyster in most and egg yolk--one a piece

Fantastic, @Shelby. What a great meal 🤗 !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dante - A valiant effort (and something I would never attempt, so I offer this feedback with full disclosure of such!)

I have eaten many soup dumplings, even from the famous Ding Tai Fung - and I would suggest trying to get your crimp at the top of the dumpling to increase the odds of soup retention -

Seen here:

20140106-279071-DinTaiFung-dumplingdroop

Not sure what (if any) accompaniment you serve it with, but I would recommend either Chinese black (or pink) vinegar with julienne of ginger.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

For some reason, I find this extraordinarily beautiful, kind of a Van Gogh seascape, had he done those, a sense of motion.

I was thinking more Hieronymus Bosch 👹 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

52 minutes ago, TicTac said:

@Dante - A valiant effort (and something I would never attempt, so I offer this feedback with full disclosure of such!)

I have eaten many soup dumplings, even from the famous Ding Tai Fung - and I would suggest trying to get your crimp at the top of the dumpling to increase the odds of soup retention -

I riffed on that idea once to make soup-filled ravioli, which I served as an appetizer ("inside-out chicken noodle soup"). We had a few casualties, but it was a small enough batch that I could get away with it.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Bastardized mie goreng. Bucatini cooked in alkaline water, then pan fried with a sauce made of oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, chilies and a take on home made kecap manis; made with caramel, soy sauce, star anise, cinnamon and cloves. Broccoli, browned onion, haminados eggs.

IMG_20200312_201821.jpg

IMG_20200312_201829.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

On 3/12/2020 at 7:56 AM, shain said:

I picked some mallow leaves from the garden, combine with zucchinis and Sirene cheese for a casserole. Flavored with lemon zest and zaatar.

Labneh, zaatar, olive oil, tomatoes.

IMG_20200306_150642_1.jpg

This slid past me.   There is a huge crop of mallow this year.   I never knew you could cook with it, altho as a child I delighted in picking and eating the "fairy cheeses".    THANKS for this new window.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Some meals at home this past few days.

A favourite combo - MaPo Tofu and Eggplant with Toban Bean Paste

1667699240_MaPoTofuEggplant0827.jpg.0d5936671b4e81c3cc000cf1c2e7a839.jpg

Picked up some turkey thighs and breasts that were marinated with sea salt and pepper - in cryovac. They are Granny's and brought in as a new product by our Safeway. Most of us would reason that it would be cheaper to buy a whole turkey, so they did not sell.  However, at a price reduction, $2.00 / package, they are great for 2 seniors with leftovers for next day. I did a breast and the thighs in the air fryer. I added Greek seasoning.

1383007489_BonelessTurkeyBreasts0816.thumb.jpg.7da9f0ce7caac28edaf6e1b18fc05a1e.jpg

80001394_AirFryerTurkeyVeg0823.jpg.fdd59a73f13175f583921e6a5ca998b5.jpg

Trying very hard on portion control - the struggle is real! Individual lasagna which I never would have thought possibly enough, but it was!

1909035109_IndividualLasagna0830.jpg.273cb0b3ddbce3804458f5d044767a0b.jpg

Another attempt at portion control - a bowl with some stir-fried beef tenderloin trimmings, mixed veg, and some burnt rice from the rice pot.

1584098224_BeefRiceVegBowl0856.jpg.552800b977379ae65875b7b5dbdd5f96.jpg

With this Cov-id-19 looking over us, it's a good time to do the Eat from the Freezer Challenge again : Beer Battered Pickerel Fish 'n' Chips in the air fryer

298861024_AirFryerFishChips0839.jpg.e0b6fa844853f973f9612f574aa3c50e.jpg

And, last night - Char Siu Baby Back Ribs with gai lan and brown /;wild rice mix

1850322817_CharSiuribs0863.jpg.2eb110dc19bc74600d182d650cdd9a04.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This slid past me.   There is a huge crop of mallow this year.   I never knew you could cook with it, altho as a child I delighted in picking and eating the "fairy cheeses".    THANKS for this new window.

😊

Make sure to pick tender leaves, if you do. It cooks like chard, but has a milder, somewhat wheaty flavor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

My household has expanded as my nephew's college closed campus for the rest of the semester and my niece's high school did the same.  They opted to move in here as my wifi is faster than at their Mom's house, and they will be going to school online for the rest of the academic year.  Mom lives one town over, so has been coming for dinner every night, and as soon as her office closes down (likely tomorrow), she is moving in too.  I have one more bedroom left; any takers?  🙂  

All  meals for the foreseeable future will be served family style.  I skipped photos for the first few days while I adjusted to this new routine, but here is tonight's dinner.  Crabless crab rangoons (nephew is allergic to crustaceans)

rangoons.thumb.jpg.4eec75eac5b0b68b2eb083392df9f8c2.jpg

Fried rice with not enough vegetables for the younger ones to object (and especially none of my niece's DREADED PEAS)

346508979_friedrice.thumb.jpg.5a33aa49188807e93fca99dd9a3d37d9.jpg

Chicken and pepper stir fry

413718752_chickenstirfry.thumb.jpg.1536da5c7276791aa4b48e0c4c9b8c2e.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

I almost think I could eat dirt out of those beautiful dishes and serving pieces.  'Even my half-assed cooking would shine and that's saying a lot.

I always try to "read" them like hieroglyphics.  The bowl in the last picture say "Eat this, it will blow your mind".  Am I close?

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

Roasted salmon fillet, steamed asparagus, and reheated leftover seafood paella rice (just rice, had eaten the seafood...but it gave the rice such great flavor, I had taken it home and frozen it after a dinner out in Feb, which I normally wouldn’t do).

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Last year we kicked most processed/refined sugar out of our house, this year the goal is to drastically reduce meat (fish is fine!) and dairy - I found the idea online for 'faux' pulled pork sliders....

King Oyster (shredded with a fork) and Enoki Mushrooms / Spanish Onions - all sauteed till golden.  Tossed in a home made BBQ Sauce - served on GF (Aiden's does a great GF bread) ciabatta rolls; along side Ramp soup and a salad - creamy ramp/Meyer lemon dressing.

My 7 year old gave it a 4/5 stars (and he dislikes mushrooms at the best of times!).

Will repeat.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

Roasted salmon fillet, steamed asparagus, and reheated leftover seafood paella rice (just rice, had eaten the seafood...but it gave the rice such great flavor, I had taken it home and frozen it after a dinner out in Feb, which I normally wouldn’t do).

Years ago a Vietnamese friend taught me to save all those bits and dabs of sauce or a super flavorful dish. and freeze. They amp up dishes wonderfully. Impossible to re-create but provide pleasure.