• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

10 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Husband asked if I could make "hamburgers" "juicy".    Like how?   Like can you add something...like oatmeal?    Or panko?    Oh...you mean like fried meatloaf?     YES!

Okay,     Fried meatloaf, garlicky and buttery zucchini, frying peppers.   Fried meatloaf?    Feel like I'm in a limbo contest.

LOL I routinely used some form of panade in my burgers for years, only stopping eventually because I eat so few burgers any more I can't be bothered about it. Usually added some box-grater onion as well, and some garlic and a splash of soy and worcestershire. I've always considered that beef needs all the help it can get.

Life's sense of irony being what it is, I'm now with a GF whose meatloaf recipe consists solely of ground beef and onion soup mix. I made a lovely moist meatloaf the first year we were together, and she picked at it for a while before confessing sheepishly that "It's good, it's just that it's not what I think of as...meatloaf..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Started with a large platter of primo avocado, quintessential flavor,   No adorning needed.

Husband asked if I could make "hamburgers" "juicy".    Like how?   Like can you add something...like oatmeal?    Or panko?    Oh...you mean like fried meatloaf?     YES!

Okay,     Fried meatloaf, garlicky and buttery zucchini, frying peppers.   Fried meatloaf?    Feel like I'm in a limbo contest.

1271078159_ScreenShot2020-03-11at5_31_52PM.thumb.png.58fd4ed30e215a7aeeb0083d834585b4.png

As for suggestions about how to make a juicy hamburger, James Beard would put a little piece of ice in the middle of the hamburger to keep it from cooking as much as the outside and Anne Rosenzweig, owner of the Lobster Club in NYC would put a pad of butter in the middle.  She combined fresh thyme, sage, parsley, chives and rosemary in a blender, stirred it into softened butter, then inside a piece of plastic wrap, she rolled it into a log and refrigerated it until ready to cut off a piece and put inside the hamburger.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm either going to die from Coronavirus or boredom, whichever arrives first, so decided to forget healthy! Breaded chicken with chips and tomatoes. I cooked and ate this or similar last week too I think, but enjoyed it, so why not do it again?

20200312_194907.thumb.jpg.bef36a39b190db76f0ba576e54074d46.jpg

20200312_194915.thumb.jpg.49ce13ea465ebddaa135e96cc09b7e16.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I picked some mallow leaves from the garden, combine with zucchinis and Sirene cheese for a casserole. Flavored with lemon zest and zaatar.

Labneh, zaatar, olive oil, tomatoes.

IMG_20200306_150642_1.jpg

IMG_20200306_151716.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@liuzhou - that looks delicious!  I am admiring the perfect coating on that chicken and the perfect color of those chips!  

Made a batch of @Michael Ruhlman's Rotisserie Chicken and Leek soup.  Veggies and chicken scraps getting ready to simmer:

60564355590__A283D37E-DEB9-4CD2-A33F-13ED5E015A8D.thumb.JPG.f93abeac4bcd233de46579273f3282af.JPG

Leeks sautéing:

60564354613__C109787E-0136-4E03-A825-935B1417291A.JPG.8016ef23c0d13bacdc2894e7c4ae43b1.JPG

Lovely 45 minute stock:

IMG_1518.jpg.8c0a3fb1a4139c3192890cfb69b949f1.jpg

Leeks and chicken:

IMG_1519.thumb.jpg.0f11ac4493c6c5d69c89a07befa570a0.jpg

SOUP:

IMG_1526.jpg.aefbcceb2d9bd7a7e8f9c82c4e400271.jpg

So easy and so good.  It has a really deep, rich flavor.  I don’t think anyone would suspect that this was a “shortcut” soup.  I added some tiny egg noodles and a little parsley.  This was one of the recipes that I tested when some of us at @Marlene's website, Cooks Korner, were testing recipes for his cookbook “Twenty”.  It has been a favorite since then. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Pork shoulder (aka country style ribs), smoked for 1 hour at low heat, then high heat to finish.  Was hoping for a pulled pork effect, but didn't work, so I sliced it.  Chewy but tasty.  Served with snap peas in butter.

bbq-pork.jpg.9dff7c959bfac2555b97dcfc9ef0dbc7.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

14 hours ago, shain said:

I picked some mallow leaves from the garden, combine with zucchinis and Sirene cheese for a casserole. Flavored with lemon zest and zaatar.

Labneh, zaatar, olive oil, tomatoes.

IMG_20200306_150642_1.jpg

IMG_20200306_151716.jpg

Ah! in these odd times I remembered dandelion greens outside but forgot about the mallow patches further out. . It rained last 2 days so they should be perky.Tomorrow! Do have eggs and a bit of dairy :) Tons of citrus n the trees.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Tomato, mushroom pizza...

Pizza03132020.png

Have no fear.  The basil was from my dining room.  No leftovers.

• Like 11

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

As for suggestions about how to make a juicy hamburger, James Beard would put a little piece of ice in the middle of the hamburger to keep it from cooking as much as the outside and Anne Rosenzweig, owner of the Lobster Club in NYC would put a pad of butter in the middle.  She combined fresh thyme, sage, parsley, chives and rosemary in a blender, stirred it into softened butter, then inside a piece of plastic wrap, she rolled it into a log and refrigerated it until ready to cut off a piece and put inside the hamburger.

I just make sure there is enough fat in the meat I grind for burgers 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 7:25 PM, haresfur said:

But Coles and Woolies will take delivery orders - at least where I live. Seems to be pretty popular since I'm always having to dodge employees, picking orders.

Yes we can do click and collect online, but not delivery yet. It's getting closer though. 🙂

Edit: The staff doing the online orders are a pet peeve of mine! Not them personally but the carts are soooo big and seemingly always where I want to be 😅. First world problems huh. 

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Chicken paella. 

BEAUTIFUL!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Thanks!

It tasted (almost) as good as it looks!

I can almost smell it. A local chef (Bernard Ibarra) did paella for a bit at farmers market. You could see people's noses sort of lift like a cartoon and seek out the location.The description in the Time Life Foods of the World Spain is what always comes to mind. Thanks for the mental feast. 

• Like 1

Solo dinner tonight for me :  brown bread made from my great-grandmother's recipe, a salad, baked beans made with half a pound of R ancho Gordo cranberry beans - also from family cookbook.

Johnnybird is supposed to get home tomorrow by 4 pm so we can have dinner together: rice of some kind or potatoes, petit filet slow roasted to a rare while tied with fresh tarragon, asparagus if I can get it at the Shoprite or some of the frozen yellow beans I have, torn between blue cheese butter and Bernaise sauce.

Sunday will be chicken chasseur, egg noodles and some veg.

• Like 8

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pulled pork, using a technique/recipe I am calling Blasphemy Pulled Pork.  It uses country-style ribs instead of the usual hunk of shoulder or butt.  They cook in a lot less time and every piece has some bark!  Recipe details at my Blasphemy Ribs site (see link in signature).  Served with mashed cauliflower.  

blasphemy-pp-plated.jpg.c742217754c2521da467f49be17c9aaf.jpg

blasphemy-pp-pulled.jpg.c7f63a0872a62cbc841ab749dc6204fc.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs