• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Cubeb!

First and only time I heard of that was from Prof Harold Hill.

And I thought thats a little overweight kid with wings and poor aim ...

(not Prof Hill !)

• Haha 1

First night in country.   Fast and pantry = jalapeno SPAM tacos.    Who'd have thought it?!     Canned pinto beans, revived aqed tortillas from friidge, guacamole salsa.    Fresh lettuce, cheese and fast tossed together tomato salsa.    Amazingly  palatable.  (A little wine helped.)   Will not be putting any SF tacquerias or Lodi taco trucks out of business.   

1146851894_ScreenShot2020-03-09at7_29_49PM.thumb.png.1f31d15a3096796709aae8f191302d6e.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.

7 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

SPAM

Of all the nasty things one might say about SPAM it is filled with UMAMI as well as salt. Even a little can punch up  the flavour of most things. 

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 3/9/2020 at 12:54 AM, rotuts said:

F.D.:

ive had Chef Boy-ar-Dee 

ravioli , in a can a few times

https://chefboyardee.com/products/ravioli/beef-ravioli-15-oz

Im still alive

Our house was centrally located in our small town.   All of my mother's grandchildren used it as a landing pad for parental pick-up.   A niece arrived one afternoon when my father was home alone.    After some small talk, he asked her if she was hungry.   "Yes,   He looked in the cupboard and asked her, "Do you like ravioli?"   "Yes"    So he opens a can of Chef Boyardee for this child, whose other grandmother was born in Genoa, and serves her a bowl.    She looks at the bowl and says, "These aren't ravioli."

• Haha 6

eGullet member #80.

Was in the mood for something warm and comforting even though it was in in low 80’s today 

corned beefs were on sale and while I usually pick them up and smoke’em  to make pastrami, I made corned beef and cabbage tonight.   

8CCDDA59-54E7-415A-81C3-5AA9B8568007.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 4

23 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Amazon in Australia is .. lacking. No food delivery of any sort here 😔. Probably a blessing.

But Coles and Woolies will take delivery orders - at least where I live. Seems to be pretty popular since I'm always having to dodge employees, picking orders.

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Jägertoast - typically a toast bread, topped with pork loin and smothered in mushroom cream sauce. In tonights version with SV chicken breast filling in for the pork loin - tasty nonetheless ...

A6DB6EDB-E39E-4427-B68C-B70CCA7D07E3.thumb.jpeg.0370e0ec5fe1222348cfd08b62853b28.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 3

@scamhi  If your wagyu is as nice as the waygu corned beef I am expecting tomorrow, it should be delicious.  I have been brining a choice brisket point for about 3 weeks and plan to cook both for St. Patrick's day to see how they compare.  Your beef looks so good though.

I made some chicken stock with a large roasting chicken yesterday  and when my son saw it, he wanted chicken pot pie so that's what we had today.  

20200311_170026.jpg

20200311_180142.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 4

Started with a large platter of primo avocado, quintessential flavor,   No adorning needed.

Husband asked if I could make "hamburgers" "juicy".    Like how?   Like can you add something...like oatmeal?    Or panko?    Oh...you mean like fried meatloaf?     YES!

Okay,     Fried meatloaf, garlicky and buttery zucchini, frying peppers.   Fried meatloaf?    Feel like I'm in a limbo contest.

1271078159_ScreenShot2020-03-11at5_31_52PM.thumb.png.58fd4ed30e215a7aeeb0083d834585b4.png

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.