• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

30km?  For pasta?

Edit:  No amazon 1 hour delivery?

Channeling my imaginary Italian grandmother, there is something heretical about ordering spaghetti from Amazon 1 hour delivery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

27 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Channeling my imaginary Italian grandmother, there is something heretical about ordering spaghetti from Amazon 1 hour delivery. 

I dunno know. How much time did your imaginary Italian Grandma spend in the wilds of Australia?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I dunno know. How much time did your imaginary Italian Grandma spend in the wilds of Australia?

You can get Amazon  hour delivery in the wilds of Australia?

I thought CCST's solution was pretty self-reliant.    Needs must.

eGullet member #80.

46 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

You can get Amazon  hour delivery in the wilds of Australia?

I thought CCST's solution was pretty self-reliant.    Needs must.

Sadly not, it seems.  I just checked.  Amazon Australia offers spaghetti speedily to major cities, if one can make do with Barilla.  Delivery to "remote areas" is 2-4 days at best.

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Sadly not, it seems.  I just checked.  Amazon Australia offers spaghetti speedily to major cities, if one can make do with Barilla.  Delivery to "remote areas" is 2-4 days at best.

that's what they say but alas sometimes the nomenclature (always wanted to use such a high sounding word) is different depending on where you are in the world. Here, remote areas can mean a city of several thousand, maybe the distance could be 900 miles OR it could mean remote areas as in a town of less than a 100 and 3000 miles who only get deliveries weekly or monthly then only half the year by 4 wheel drive.😃

Delivery wise, for me its usually at least an extra day and I am less than 60 miles from a capital city!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

27 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I don't use Amazon for food delivery.    My MO, stockpile spaghetti before TP.

I stockpile my spaghetti from Supermarket Italy.  At least the spaghetti I don't make myself.

• Delicious 1

D193E308-E364-41DA-ABF4-6A6F5E67F64C.thumb.jpeg.333945a2d2565d9d7e1cce3504423aa8.jpeg

Our first time back to Michiru, in Webster, since September of last year. 

D7B6FDE5-74FC-4953-B0E7-0FEC98A36738.thumb.jpeg.e6c62bd53f7de4eab6f5fbbe8f70603a.jpeg

Fried Calamari and Pan-fried Pork Gyoza,

A76F3834-9012-4141-98E5-6AFCA7120DD5.thumb.jpeg.cdc60acc7185293879cc95c1055e9d4b.jpeg

Hot and Sour Soup,

A40FD7CD-8531-47DF-9753-BBB08F2DDA28.thumb.jpeg.6408447e22010e5814fc86414e62f083.jpeg

Beef Szechuan Style,

EBB13DAD-EC8E-463C-9909-A0CA5BEB5437.thumb.jpeg.d0813d727076b90ec9399210804cb2a9.jpeg

and Vegetable Tempura.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

@robirdstx – you reminded me we need to have toasted ravioli soon.  That marinara looks fantastic.  And the later dinner of the skewered shrimp looked wonderful, too.  I love the charred edges on the onions.

@CantCookStillTry – lovely looking corned beef

@Ann_T – beautiful dumplings!  I just finished a grilled cheese snack, but I believe I could manage a half dozen of those!

@Margaret Pilgrim – nice looking tartar sauce.  I see dill, but what else is in it please?

Hot dog night -

DSCN0688.JPG.ee6f0da65a57b39da2f7cd44499fafb0.JPG

Mr. Kim’s.  Chili and cheese, kraut and mustard, beans, and asparagus.  Mine:

DSCN0689.JPG.7b1145af40e5c7f3de08d6e288c1bbcb.JPG

Chili and mustard, beans, kraut and leftover “German” green beans.

Went down to VA Beach to spend the day with my sister who is having some issues.  I can’t do much for her, but I can be there when my mom can bear for me to be away.   My sister is doing some weird stuff regarding food.  She’s convinced that she has eaten her way out of some of her medications.  Turns out, she basically lives on protein bars and British canned baked beans.  I offered to take her to lunch, but she doesn’t “trust” restaurant food anymore.  So, on the way home, STARVING, I decided to finally stop at Doumar’s in Norfolk – a place I’ve been hearing about for years.  A really good, basic griddle burger and fries:

IMG_1487.jpg.1d17d9e813264052907dbad719ccbb95.jpg

Their claim to fame is that they still make all their ice cream cones with this machine:

IMG_1489.thumb.jpg.3aa32c71f6b7907c99cbfb574c03602e.jpg

So, of course, I had to wait until I was not full and could handle a cone:

IMG_1491.thumb.jpg.d8c8001f8d62099fc21c3f01a78ba84c.jpg

Good ice cream – great cone.

The day after that I ended up having lots of Mom issues and needed comfort for dinner.  Ham, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on white bread:

DSCN0695.JPG.f5e6cf54124341a51d8a37959a7ca5c5.JPG

And Campbell’s alphabet soup:

DSCN0696.JPG.261889ceabcc232e2cbcd378bbe5f8c4.JPG

We’ve been getting some really great citrus lately – much better quality and variety than I remember being able to get in the last couple of years.  This is a Gold Nugget mandarin:

DSCN0697.thumb.JPG.49c325139c2f2085296596d9491d4be0.JPG

DSCN0698.thumb.JPG.f0c5cea9259f63552fd9c282939b467f.JPG

Very intensely flavored and juicy.

Last night – salad:

DSCN0699.JPG.9ae672cdc5a7f1442d854d77663a39b6.JPG

Chicken Kiev (purchased), squash and onions for Mr. Kim, and long grain and wild rice:

DSCN0700.JPG.562b5cb3d9dc394cbb1f9361ac61d2b6.JPG

Tonight was Sunday, which is considered a “little Easter”.  Means we can indulge in what we’ve given up for Lent.  We gave up eating in restaurants (Doumar’s above was an aberration brought on my extreme need).  Everyone was craving spoonbread, so it was off to our favorite meat n’ threes.  Fried chicken, fried jumbo shimp, chicken fried steak, curly kale, French fries and gravy, butter beans, yeast rolls, and SPOONBREAD! 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Maybe if it comes cooked

• Haha 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Dinner was supposed to have been @Wolfert's chicken with caramelized quinces and toasted walnuts.  It didn't happen.

After an hour of searching for cubeb in my spice collection, and agonizing whether voatsiperifery or grains of paradise would be a better match, I gave up and settled for a CSO chicken thigh, peas, and mashed potato.  Got the job done.

• Like 2

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1/2 lb Rancho Gordo Vaquero beans, soaked all day. Instant Pot high pressure for 1 minute with 15 min rest, too long actually. Chopped Duck Bacon and Kielbasa, green beans, chard, various spices and the leftover vinegar BBQ sauce that I forgot for dinner the other night. DH liked it so much he gave me a compliment!

Sorry no picture.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner was supposed to have been @Wolfert's chicken with caramelized quinces and toasted walnuts.  It didn't happen.

After an hour of searching for cubeb in my spice collection, and agonizing whether voatsiperifery or grains of paradise would be a better match, I gave up and settled for a CSO chicken thigh, peas, and mashed potato.  Got the job done.

Cubeb!

First and only time I heard of that was from Prof Harold Hill.

• Haha 1