• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Tonight, the third of my lazy evenings in a row. I promise I start cooking properly tomorrow again 😉

So, Raclette it was. 

DD647FDA-5098-458E-809A-16477B14A428.thumb.jpeg.1d64e3f2689bbcee6f194482b95d0d48.jpeg

With a couple of french cheeses (Raclette, Morbier, Reblochon, Gruyere, ...) and a variety of cold cuts and Weisswurst leftovers. 

3C3E619D-5D56-4959-872F-8BF9F803EC78.thumb.jpeg.80871d5bafacd231105954e879f26bc0.jpeg2300EE89-3263-4807-8FA6-734BB673D714.thumb.jpeg.b1c344dd0122f51c86d51ec40ca8768e.jpeg

Augmented by sweetcorn, fried onions, mandarin oranges, asparagus and my mom’s strawberry marmalade (for the strong cheeses).

1A16164E-73F0-4FDD-B9D6-3E714A743F18.thumb.jpeg.ea3d34fa44ef0625b72c640da57c1fda.jpeg

Roasted bread (from our last Strasbourg trip) and a good Portugese red - what else you need ...

8A37D4F8-8A72-4A7C-8C62-924D1D0AF030.thumb.jpeg.4e981fea3fb378c3a2b8e2e78921e56b.jpegF8E63F17-B649-4C5F-9FFB-F3E7458EAE29.thumb.jpeg.b5f36ca36523689e7f9ae4c3018450dd.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 6

9 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

So I can cook the roux to brownish? (These are Noob questions I know). I'm scared of burning so leave it quite pale 3/4 mins before adding the juices. Taking it further would be better not burnt? 

Yes you can, but the darker it is the less thickening you get from it

• Thanks 1

Super creamy fresh roe with morels. And Franconian Silvaner is the other half of dinner.

WTLAsnu.jpg

In Loreto

BboJzBC.jpg

Brought more yellowtail I caught to another restaurant to be cooked. The meal was shared with my guest house owners again. Soupy Veracruz-style.

SCRLqD2.jpg

Only aguachile does the yellowtail justice.

Lor6oms.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

Cabbage/ramen noodle/smoked chicken salad with beans and ribs

thumbnail_IMG_7469.jpg.cde9839e6d6e3935cbe7069d68657b00.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7470.jpg.ee2a349eca61f08ffbd2c5b36007273d.jpg

Beans and ribs were what I planned last night!  Around midnight reality caught up with me and dinner was bread and cheese.  Good bread though.  And Methode Rotuts.

The ribs are precooked sous vide but even with my new pressure cooker beans are not instant.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, TdeV said:

Sorry no pictures.

• Beef point brisket sous vide 2.5 days 133F, blow torched by DH
  • Pale gravy (made with cornstarch), but reasonably tasty. Thanks to @chromedome and @Duvel, my gravies may become darker in future. 🙂
  • Cider vinegar based unsmoked barbecue sauce (untasted, forgotten in microwave).
  • Mashed rutabaga with s+ p, plenty of butter (IP 4+ min, high pressure). Topped with toasted pinenuts.
  • Artichoke, halved, choke removed, sous vide 2 hours at 185F
  • Artichoke dressing: mayonnaise, garlic, lime zest + juice, thyme, parsley. Made by DH.
  • Anadama dinner rolls. Recipe called for 3 T molasses, only had 2; added 1 T pomegranate molasses
  • Dessert by dinner guest: ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, toasted pecans.

Can I come to dinner at your house?

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

There is no cooking task I detest more than breaking down a chicken.  Especially tonight as I desperately tried to channel my inner Child.  I now understand the true purpose of a toque:  to keep chicken out of the chef's hair.

Dinner02242020.png

Dinner had an apple theme.  Poulet Vallee D' Auge.  Autumn in Jersey as an aperitif.  It may not exactly be autumn but this is [New] Jersey.  Boneless (see above) chicken breast with Calvados laced sauce allemande.  For the sauce allemande I used More Than Gourmet mushroom and chicken essences.  I may have overdone it.  Those essences are concentrated.

Worse, I cut my thumb ripping open the cardboard box.  How can you break down a chicken without injury (not counting chicken in your hair) and then bloody yourself on cardboard?  ON CARDBOARD.  I ask you.

Beverage was to have been sparkling cider.  I COULDN'T GET THE CORK OUT.  In addition to the sauce allemande, sauce cranberry was served.  Because I am a red blooded American and I can.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 hours ago, BonVivant said:

In Loreto

Brought more yellowtail I caught to another restaurant to be cooked. The meal was shared with my guest house owners again. Soupy Veracruz-style.

SCRLqD2.jpg

Only aguachile does the yellowtail justice.

Lor6oms.jpg

That brings back memories of a family trip to Mexico when I was a kid. My father loved to fish and caught some Spanish mackerel which he marched into the kitchen of a Chinese restaurant to be cooked up. I thought it was a very odd thing to do but the results were excellent.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I had one more batch of pasta dough in the fridge that I needed to use.   I've seen ravioli with an egg yolk inside around the internet and probably here, too.  Every time I see it my mouth waters.  I never attempted here at home to make it because it seemed waaaaay above my skill level.  Well, last night I guess I got brave.  It wasn't that hard to do at all!  Plus with the sauce and pasta already made all I had to do was put it through my pasta roller and cut the circles out--well that and make the ricotta type filling.  I only filled two ravioli with the egg....seemed like over kill to do more than that lol.

Anyway, it was fun and oh man, they were good.  Might even be on my last meal ever list.

IMG_7474.jpg.37d3b937663c81d066cb3c843fef7880.jpg

IMG_7475.jpg.8f4e44d465143faf379723b69097311a.jpg

IMG_7476.jpg.5d313a060d4e2a559e0123720321f444.jpg

IMG_7479.JPG.1a4c76c5e7178d16959da8d354531b4f.JPG

IMG_7480.JPG.6a0679afbe788cb2874ab25bbb87adb0.JPG

Definitely not the prettiest picture though!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 9

44 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

surprised the yolk didn't firm up

looks very tasty indeed

next time you will make more im sure

Me too!  I boiled them for 3 mins. and then put them a med-hot skillet with butter for another minute or 2.  Still perfectly runny.

• Delicious 2

1 hour ago, kayb said:

What kind of seeds do you have atop that steak, @mgaretz?

Dill seeds.  I love the way they compliment steak.  Got the idea from McCormick's Montreal Steak Rub.  Has too much pepper for my taste these days, but loved the dill notes.  So I just use dill (and salt) now.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

So some prep work for Sukiyaki and Shabu Shabu Dinner wehn I get back from Traveling!!

This Was a partially frozen Prime Rib Cap  that I sliced (  oops that sting had to go  :) )-- I think if it were a bit more frozen..I would have gotten it a bit thinner for the Shabu.

49579846468_fb33540eea_b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Its good to have Morels

As promised, some “real” cooking: homemade corned beef (9 days curing, 52h@65 oC SV) with a bit of a BBQ note (liquid smoke, pimenton a la vera, brown sugar, cajun spice mix). All put on whole grain rye with some raclette cheese and grilled ... 

Very, very satisfying (with some help of a aperitif/digestive/whatever ...)

B7E549A3-8709-43FF-98E4-5326DFB0F733.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

There is no cooking task I detest more than breaking down a chicken.  Especially tonight as I desperately tried to channel my inner Child.  I now understand the true purpose of a toque:  to keep chicken out of the chef's hair.

Dinner02242020.png

Dinner had an apple theme.  Poulet Vallee D' Auge.  Autumn in Jersey as an aperitif.  It may not exactly be autumn but this is [New] Jersey.  Boneless (see above) chicken breast with Calvados laced sauce allemande.  For the sauce allemande I used More Than Gourmet mushroom and chicken essences.  I may have overdone it.  Those essences are concentrated.

Worse, I cut my thumb ripping open the cardboard box.  How can you break down a chicken without injury (not counting chicken in your hair) and then bloody yourself on cardboard?  ON CARDBOARD.  I ask you.

Beverage was to have been sparkling cider.  I COULDN'T GET THE CORK OUT.  In addition to the sauce allemande, sauce cranberry was served.  Because I am a red blooded American and I can.

It's been several years now but Martin Yan showed how to break down a chicken in 12 seconds. Pretty amazing. Takes me a minute or two. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

On 2/23/2020 at 3:00 PM, BonVivant said:

Super creamy fresh roe with morels. And Franconian Silvaner is the other half of dinner.

WTLAsnu.jpg

Where did you find sylvaner?  No picture of the bocksbeutel?

I used to adore that wine.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Been thinking about poke all day. So:

20200224_175413.thumb.jpg.34aab3bdd1565b6c22524e8e7851e146.jpg

Frozen ahi tuna steak from Aldi, steamed edamame, carrot shavings. Marinated in a mix of tamari, ponzu, mirin, ginger and rice wine. Would have added pineapple before serving, had I had any. 

Still good.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com