• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A future possibility, fpr Matt: mushroom ragu.     Many years ago I invited a work associate and husband to dinner on a Friday night.    Knowing his Friday meat proscription, I made a hearty sauce, substituting a ton of chopped portobello mushrooms for the meat and made an enormous lasagne.    It was, I thought, sublime, cheesy, "meaty" and robust.    Everyone chowed down except the husband who took a fork full and quietly ate all the sides.    The next day I asked my friend about it and she said that he was obdurate in not eating meat on Friday.    Wish I had asked the night before.   

@Margaret Pilgrim, I have saved a mushroom lasagna recipe that a friend gave me years ago.  I'm not really a fan of lasagna, but I'm sure I would love a mushroom version.    But unfortunately Matt doesn't like mushrooms.  And it isn't like he doesn't keep trying.  Every few years he will taste them again just in case his tastes have

changed.  Not so far.   

5 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@Margaret Pilgrim, I have saved a mushroom lasagna recipe that a friend gave me years ago.  I'm not really a fan of lasagna, but I'm sure I would love a mushroom version.    But unfortunately Matt doesn't like mushrooms.  And it isn't like he doesn't keep trying.  Every few years he will taste them again just in case his tastes have

changed.  Not so far.   

Understand.    Husband feels the same at Matt.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Why?

For round Swedish meatballs.  Seriously.

A4Box01092020.png

Dinner01112020.png

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159240-a4-box-induction-cooker/?do=findComment&comment=2229532

• Like 12

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Super cool.    In my former life, I would have jumped at this.    But I'd have to freeze 4/5 of the output of this pan.    Last night, I made 8 meatballs and we ate 3 -> 5 for lunch today.    Shurnken family and capacities.

• Like 5

eGullet member #80.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:25 AM, lindag said:

I got mine from Amazon.   It's this one.  Make sure you get the 8x10" to fit the CSO.

H'mm. Amazon tells me I bought this pan in 2018. But I'll be damned if I know where it is.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

H'mm. Amazon tells me I bought this pan in 2018. But I'll be damned if I know where it is.

Not in your Kindle library?😂

• Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It does not get much more down home than this.

20200218_175740.thumb.jpg.57df53670d8e919289573d5b2820f34f.jpg

Rancho Gordo Yellow Indian Woman beans, cooked in chicken stock with onion, garlic, and a couple of chunks of Broadbent country ham. Fried potatoes and onions. And a big wedge of cornbread. First meal I've cooked in two weeks.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 hours ago, kayb said:

Amazon tells me I've bought three.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Pizza02192020.png

Pizza tonight.  Mushroom pizza.  Perhaps my finest pizza to date, due largely to the exceptional dough left over from last night's bread.  This was not a 90 second pizza.  I let it go two minutes to get the mushrooms fully cooked and slightly charred.  Notice none ended up on the oven floor.  Basil from the dining room.

Good as it was I could only eat half before the Duvel ran out.  Sometimes life is hard.

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Had a little bit of oxtail ragu left over--mostly ragu, not much meat-- and I couldn't throw it out because it was too good (stuff is rich, though).  So, I supplemented it with a tiny bit of beef roast and made more pasta last night.

IMG_7440.JPG.ed8d1526b458909f2d15e5af09456d0b.JPG

IMG_7441.jpg.a8964ce905ceccb262e0bdefa6e7b26f.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Nibbles for dinner

4043336A-B4F4-4DD7-B71F-82610561FAF0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.0d820806be4b376d95a4fa916749cf9f.jpeg

At the left is a plate of fresh veggies to accompany the Salmon Roe Ikra from Shaya. At the top is a basket of Pita and at the bottom is a bowl of Hummus, both also from Shaya.
In the middle, from Ottolenghi's Simple is a plate of the Lamb Arayes with Tahini and Sumac served with Sumac Yogurt Sauce.  He says these are most often made with pita but uses tortillas in this recipe. 

448D4652-3862-4A42-AAF3-77A7BB016819_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5cef1ee3bedf22faf5df235a3f5eeeca.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

57 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Had to Google Duvel , thinking it a wine label I hadn't heard of.  I learn so much here.

Or you could have just checked his avatar.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Had a little bit of oxtail ragu left over--mostly ragu, not much meat-- and I couldn't throw it out because it was too good (stuff is rich, though).  So, I supplemented it with a tiny bit of beef roast and made more pasta last night.

IMG_7440.JPG.ed8d1526b458909f2d15e5af09456d0b.JPG

IMG_7441.jpg.a8964ce905ceccb262e0bdefa6e7b26f.jpg

We need a pouting emoji.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

IMG_E0159.thumb.JPG.a9163a7bf354dc3a575317499c941455.JPG

Having just returned from a week in Paris, I wanted something to remind us of all the great bistro food there. So here are two classics, céleri rémoulade and les carottes rapées.

And then we wanted a rice dish, so...

IMG_0161.thumb.JPG.8a797ea62bf5bb4f622ed402070a9d85.JPG

Paella.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?