• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Duvel 

you are again correct as usual.

this is one of my very favorite ' toppings '  for  pasta in the shape of bowties  or

Campanelle  .

I also like the idea that you didnt crips up the bacon , and its texture more matches the peas.

try this on your favorite pasta shape some time.

and WoW !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

The little one requested Bacon & Peas. It is amazing how good something can taste thats just made from bacon, peas, onions & parmesan ...

Wow. I want to leap up and make this right this minute. The little one has amazing taste. 

Edited by Anna N
There’s an echo there. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Still cooking just for ME.   (Last night I had a soup-plate of oatmeal liberally doused with heavy cream, salt and cracked pepper, and a mug of chicken bouillon.  Divine!)  

Garlicky green scramble with La Tur cheese chunks.    Blistered shishitos.     Happy  ME.

photo-1.thumb.JPG.5952dd188afbf10a1959a186e5954260.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

eGullet member #80.

8A51EC20-9D3F-4DBE-9371-AAED060147CC.thumb.jpeg.9d17552c06916140641ef3b3c6cdc76d.jpeg

Inspired by @Duvel’s little one. Peas and bacon (with pasta).

• Like 20
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Perfectly decent Pork & Beef Bolognese Sauce, made somewhat crap with an emersion blender treatment for he with worn out jaw. 

Son's dinner pictured - Captain Clicks just had the meat sauce. 

20200211_202821.thumb.jpg.d4af4c6634f96466d9b38986b530152c.jpg

Repurposed by request 24 hours later because someone (who I would NEVER accuse of not being committed to recovery) 'Misses Crunch' ... after maybe 36 hours 😅🤦‍♀️

20200211_202844.thumb.jpg.c1ebdfbde24e38d997775cc51fcc9e02.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 20

I keep seeing these things called Burger Bombs on blogs etc. lately so I decided to finally look at the recipes and see what it is.  Turns out it's like a bierock only the dough isn't sweet and it's like a bacon cheeseburger inside.  I felt the need to make these although I did tinker with the recipe a bit.

First I made a batch of @cyalexa's hamburger/hotdog dough (discovered my digital scale bit the dust and I have no back up--I like to weigh my bread ingredients and I couldn't)  and got that rising.  The recipes that I saw used refrigerated biscuit dough.  That would be good, too, I just didn't have any.

Then, I chopped up some onion and bacon and cooked that for a bit.  Then added a pound of venison burger, Lawry's salt, pepper and garlic and let that cook up.  Then a good dollop of cream cheese got plopped in and stirred until melted.  Next a few squirts of mustard, ketchup, a bit of worcestershire sauce and a TB or so of BBQ sauce were stirred in. Last I added some chopped up pickles.  Thought that would be good.   Let that all cool off.

Next roll out the dough into a rectangle and cut squares out.  Place some meat and sharp cheddar slices on and wrap it it up.

IMG_7406.jpg.d18213dbe1365a3bf4868843617672f2.jpg

IMG_7407.JPG.e0614ba72b4fed1ca89886c96c54cb66.JPG

I brushed with egg white and sprinkled Everything Bagel seasoning on top.  Baked in the CSO on the bread setting at 375F for 22-25 mins.

IMG_7410.JPG.b17f51bd137f43217ea14bcd41f2004b.JPG

IMG_7411.JPG.9c9fb08404be46a7cea122b9ca359d6c.JPG

We think more onions and an addition of mushrooms would be good.  Also more cheese.  But it was a fun new recipe to try :) 

• Like 22
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

I keep seeing these things called Burger Bombs on blogs etc. lately so I decided to finally look at the recipes and see what it is.  Turns out it's like a bierock only the dough isn't sweet and it's like a bacon cheeseburger inside.  I felt the need to make these although I did tinker with the recipe a bit.

First I made a batch of @cyalexa's hamburger/hotdog dough (discovered my digital scale bit the dust and I have no back up--I like to weigh my bread ingredients and I couldn't)  and got that rising.  The recipes that I saw used refrigerated biscuit dough.  That would be good, too, I just didn't have any.

Looks good. I sometimes wrap cooked and cold burgers and cheese in puff pastry.  

• Like 1
  • Delicious 2

F.D.:  @Anna N 

ive been thinking of your Delightful Dish

would some lightly saute'd 

finely chopped onion , perferably Red ?

possibly finely chopped and then in an iceBath

to remove some Winter Harsh Onion flavor ?

as its been said before

Im very much a Theoretician on these things.

55 minutes ago, rotuts said:

F.D.:  @Anna N 

ive been thinking of your Delightful Dish

would some lightly saute'd 

finely chopped onion , perferably Red ?

possibly finely chopped and then in an iceBath

to remove some Winter Harsh Onion flavor ?

as its been said before

Im very much a Theoretician on these things.

I used a plain cooking onion. I don’t see any reason to try to tame onions that will be cooked. The heat will sweeten them up.  

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I used a plain cooking onion. I don’t see any reason to try to tame onions that will be cooked. The heat will sweeten them up.  

I agree. Using a red onion for example adds zero if cooked and it is generally more expensive. 

It is late for lunch yet early for dinner.  But whatever I call it it will be my main meal for the day. 

F5469770-3406-4E5C-B323-AA45802DF854.thumb.jpeg.9b871deb93edf3cc46d6deb39ce65b13.jpeg

Lamb mince over a baked potato.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@heidih 

"" Using a red onion for example adds zero "

it adds ' redness '  a natural pigment.

which might be Zero

or not. vegetable pigments are something to 

consider.  not so much , of course 

the Green in unripened Bell Peppers

such as GBP's.

no onion ever broke anyones bank

that being said 

i don't use a lot of onion

and keep the " Reds "  in the refrigerator

after partial use.

I think they are not Amused

and become  a bit Stong.

those I then use after a Fresh Cold Water bath

and it tames them

for me.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Still using up some of the leftovers from the Corned Beef and Cabbage from the other night:

73E43A61-68EE-4506-8661-35A9260E3384.thumb.jpeg.e96b85d31c00d0edb1e10d685c77e262.jpeg

Ham and Bean Cabbage Soup - Smoked Ham, 1 cup diced; Cannellini Beans, 1 can (15.5 oz.) drained; 4 cups Corned Beef Broth; leftover Cabbage and Carrots, chopped - all ingredients mixed together and slow simmered to heat through. Will be served with Pumpernickel Bread and Butter.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Last night was sous vide bison sirloin steaks. Done perfectly; unfortunately, the meat was tough.Bought these on sale at Safeway.  I seared the meat on the Starfrite grill pan, along with mushrooms and tofu.
397349741_SousVideBison0693.thumb.jpg.231a5947ec37a8f68c70ace7143f581d.jpg

Tonight, I made a Weight Watcher's recipe: Duck in Plum and Red Wine Sauce.I really wanted the seared duck breast that AnnaN posted, but...
This was a whole duck I had in the freezer and needed to be used. Cut off the breasts, the fat, and seared them in a hot pan with  sprayed with Pam. Then they were roasted in a 400F oven for 10 minutes. The sauce was sauteed shallots, red wine, chicken stock, star anise,  and thinly sliced plums. We really enjoyed the duck, with crispy potatoes from the air fryer, and steam vegetables. Total meal was 8 Smartpoints per serving. The rest of the duck I roasted and drained the fat into a jar.

1082358349_DuckinPlumRedwinesauce0697.thumb.jpg.1ef351d6d048fcd9ca2cba2e47082213.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

@liamsaunt, delicious looking! I had you in mind when I made my Catfish coconut soup a few weeks ago (and you are a much better photographer 🙃). I put the coconut milk into the soup more than an hour before the soup was done; it was rich, and creamy. By the time the soup was done, the intense creaminess was gone. I've read plenty of recipes which call for putting in the coconut milk at the beginning of the long cooking time. Are these recipe writers all wrong, or is it not the creaminess which the recipe-writer is after?

• Thanks 1