• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Dinner last night was snacks while watching the Super Bowl game.

03C4F8C2-4D5E-4889-A822-5990E996D84A.thumb.jpeg.f5eac13b21ca8c713c739863ebddfc05.jpeg

Dill Dip with Pumpernickel and Carrots

FC321EFF-9710-4389-B575-9E1CA2E3F612.thumb.jpeg.cd52fa5958dac1ed5920e8951ca46560.jpeg

Little Smokies in a combination of KC Masterpiece BBQ and Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic sauces

7FC4C1E9-03BA-400E-B8C2-32490A42A6AD.thumb.jpeg.992294be283f508accf5795ac18d8c2f.jpeg

Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip served with Corn Tortilla Chips

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Wanted to try this super cheap, simple and local place purely out of curiosity. The vast majority of tourists in this village go to (fancy) restaurants catered to them. If you want to check out "comidas economicas" joints, such as this one, you must be able to turn off your clean-freak mode and change your mentality. 12 days into the holiday and I have not experienced any physical problem from eating on street, at cheap and expensive restaurants.

(Deep-)fried tacos with 2 different meat fillings. Fortunately, the white sauce was not mayo. 

FXreh1V.jpg

OjN235B.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

Wanted to try this super cheap, simple and local place purely out of curiosity. The vast majority of tourists in this village go to (fancy) restaurants catered to them. If you want to check out "comidas economicas" joints, such as this one, you must be able to turn off your clean-freak mode and change your mentality. 12 days into the holiday and I have not experienced any physical problem from eating on street, at cheap and expensive restaurants.

That sounds like the advice I received when traveling in Egypt: if you like the food, don't look in the kitchen. :) We almost always ate at the cheap places too, and we loved the food.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 2/2/2020 at 7:42 AM, Shelby said:

Needed hot wings because I'm not making any today for the game

I know that feeling.   Tasty looking wings.

Last night was Taco Night. Hard shell tacos.

An easy work night dinner. Made the salsa in the morning

and just had to cook the beef when I got home.

1281458575_HardShellTaconightFebruary2nd2020.thumb.jpg.0a2307acec974ca1c54d11c2be5072a2.jpg

Ate watching the second half of the Game.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

43 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That sounds like the advice I received when traveling in Egypt: if you like the food, don't look in the kitchen. :) We almost always ate at the cheap places too, and we loved the food.

This is similar to practically all local places we've seen in SE Asia... but if you look closely, you should at least see certain things - different people who handle money vs handle food; raw meats being kept cold, etc...

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 3:09 PM, PeterS said:

I live in the Netherlands, this stuff is grown locally (actually, its the first harvest for this company). For 150 grams (3 medium size pieces) of wasabi i pay 60 euro (88 CAD), so I would say 26 CAD for 1 piece is pretty decent! 

Wow!!!

I can only imagine (see; hope) for your sake that it is a blip on the proverbial pricing radar and that once they have their supply under control prices will level out.  Certainly being closer to Japan than I, you should be able to source imported wasabi for less than that...?

edit to add - if that fails, I could probably ship you some at a cheaper rate!? ;)

Edited by TicTac (log)

Boringish work night meal with a new technique trialed. Breaded pork Chop, Peas and Mash thats not mashed. 

Not going to lie I think I make darned good Mashed Pots using a ricer, melted butter & warm milk method - I get smooth, fluffy but still... solid feeling mash (this is hard to describe!). Decided to try a version using warm butter and an electric whisk. It made a very smooth, light and creamy Mash - which for me didn't quite hit the spot (Seemed a bit like the 'just add water' powder mash of school dinners). 

Of course now my Husband is in love with the new version and I hate it. 'Cause life. 🙄

20200129_183246.thumb.jpg.592b78e5d645e1e85d1a14f3773d3c58.jpg

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 7
  • Haha 6

Last dinner in Guerrero Negro, just around the corner from the hotel. We are always the first to arrive. Less crowded, sit where we want.

Y8alhG2.jpg

CoTbRD7.jpg

They only have the 3 and chicken

urLQOC2.jpg

Ei4TdrO.jpg

Ojsett8.jpg

bN6R93j.jpg

D3Wjw6R.jpg

jLqEUhq.jpg

jGxlDse.jpg

If you don't here from me again for a week that means I got bitten by rabid dogs and died... Or when I return to warm and sunny Loreto in a week's time. There are so many feral dogs in this one-horse village and they are nasty. One already had a go at us!

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 12
  • Confused 2

Not pretty, but if it's not tasty it's all @Anna N's  fault for putting it into my mind!

Minced beef with rice and braised leeks.

20200205_202911.thumb.jpg.4464907200ab09003c686e460a07ef6b.jpg

20200205_202918.thumb.jpg.09dc8e012ed7b30242e9c1ce0b9551dd.jpg

It was much tastier than it looks. Apart from the onions and beef it had loads of cayenne and on a mad whim, I threw  in some capers. I'll do that again.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

It was much tastier than it looks. Apart from the onions and beef it had loads of cayenne and on a mad whim, I through in some capers. I'll do that again.

Rebel. You’re colouring outside the lines

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, BonVivant said:

jGxlDse.jpg

If you don't here from me again for a week that means I got bitten by rabid dogs and died... Or when I return to warm and sunny Loreto in a week's time. There are so many feral dogs in this one-horse village and they are nasty. One already had a go at us!

I have never understood why one of my favorite Mexican beers is called Bohemia, but it surely is good.

Tacos all look wonderful. I recommend some kind of squirt bottle filled with a solution of ammonia and water for the dogs. Just don't forget and drink from it.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I have never understood why one of my favorite Mexican beers is called Bohemia, but it surely is good.

Mexico also a land of numerous  immigrants. Bohemia in Czech Republic well known for beer. Dos Equis brewed by a German in late 1800s.

• Thanks 1