• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

With John home I make a bunch of stuff and let him decide what he wants for breakfast/lunch/dinner especially during the week.  Weekends IF he is around is a bit more organized.

Tonight it was breakfast for dinner …. thin gluten-free pancakes, turkey bacon, turkey sausages, blueberries and real maple syrup.

He will probably follow it up in an hour or two with the leftover pork pho he had last night.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

don't really care for fish (except Halibut) but Moe really enjoys fish so I made this dinner just for him.

Stopped at the fish store this morning before work and bought Petrale Sole and west coast handpicked shrimp for Moe's dinner.

642755500_SolewithmushroomandshrimpFebruary1st2020.thumb.jpg.34bebd2acc105351c61f50bed2af743a.jpg

Sole was baked in the steam oven and served with a mushroom and shrimp dill sauce.

Along with roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Along with roasted potatoes and steamed green beans.

Although I would love some fish, those potatoes are calling loudest to me. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, PeterS said:

Wagyu teppanyaki with fresh wasabi (grown locally, very excited!). Not pictured: king oyster mushroom fried in wagyu fat

IMG_4426.JPG

Curious as to where you are and what you pay for a fresh wasabi root.  There are very few places around here (oddly enough, the most ethnically diverse city in the world) that sell them, and the one fairly 'local' Japanese place sells them at $26 CDN a piece!

• Like 2

fresh wasabi is very expensive

its very had to grow , needing constant running water

like lilly pads.  Ive never tasted it  and its said from those who

I trust , that the flavor dissipates in minutes.

sorry for the interruption .

• Like 2

I'd love to try fresh wasabi someday.

Needed hot wings because I'm not making any today for the game

thumbnail_IMG_7368.jpg.5ef5713b2013b4cd97e43282cf9976da.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7369.jpg.3d75aa3c9c2b81ea57ec9dab0807e1cf.jpg

Then it was breakfast last night with crawfish boudin and a bit of hollandaise sauce.

thumbnail_IMG_7372.jpg.a47bcdba1c64317c5703ba362127183f.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Nothing like fresh wasabi.  A tingling heat that slowly creeps along your taste buds.  None of the harshness associated with typical horseradish 'wasabi'.

As mentioned, you want to grate it just before you use it as oxidization certainly lessens the nuances and impact of it.

The nice thing is that it will last for a couple weeks if properly stored.

• Like 2

I finally bought a pizza steel. Well, technically I bought a CNC-cut square piece of mild steel. So’ve spend my morning removing the sharp edges, cleaning and seasoning. And thanks to yesterdays dough prep, I could have my first steel baked pizza tonight. Now I need to rework my dough formula, but the first results are quite encouraging ...

San Marzano, Mozzarella di bufala, Parmigiano, drizzled with pureed basil in olive oil after a 3.5 min bake ...

0F36F40D-575E-487D-8230-E18E4ABFD3D2.thumb.jpeg.1cfc2a8a819d8215a9f9397c4ee5c298.jpeg

San Marzano, fennel salami, Parmigiano and mushrooms.

96152BDF-D086-41DE-841E-A25F3880012E.thumb.jpeg.9dab67d9ea7b5fb9ade7e15e43e76d38.jpeg

And the reason I felt I needed that piece of heavy metal 😉

8089EFC8-76D2-47FC-B389-F96B0EE9C81B.thumb.jpeg.55251de3bc0dfcad981ce050de1fd3e9.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Creamy tiny pasta with pecorino and lots of black pepper, and an egg yolk, and lemony brcoccoli.  Both recipes are from Alison Roman's new book Nothing Fancy.  The broccoli was very good but we all felt the pasta was pretty bland.

ditalini.thumb.jpg.d6ebc4b0906b094eff684ea4cb33ae77.jpg

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I finally bought a pizza steel. Well, technically I bought a CNC-cut square piece of mild steel. So’ve spend my morning removing the sharp edges, cleaning and seasoning. And thanks to yesterdays dough prep, I could have my first steel baked pizza tonight. Now I need to rework my dough formula, but the first results are quite encouraging ...

San Marzano, Mozzarella di bufala, Parmigiano, drizzled with pureed basil in olive oil after a 3.5 min bake ...

0F36F40D-575E-487D-8230-E18E4ABFD3D2.thumb.jpeg.1cfc2a8a819d8215a9f9397c4ee5c298.jpeg

San Marzano, fennel salami, Parmigiano and mushrooms.

96152BDF-D086-41DE-841E-A25F3880012E.thumb.jpeg.9dab67d9ea7b5fb9ade7e15e43e76d38.jpeg

And the reason I felt I needed that piece of heavy metal 😉

8089EFC8-76D2-47FC-B389-F96B0EE9C81B.thumb.jpeg.55251de3bc0dfcad981ce050de1fd3e9.jpeg

Very nice.  Rather than steel I went with 1 inch/2.54 cm thick aluminum for mine.  Last night I had leftover CSO pan pizza.*  I had not felt up to the pyrotechnics of a pseudo Neapolitan.

*and salad with Momofuku ranch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Getting ready to start John's dinner for tonight:

shrimp with broccoli and his gluten free pasta

He really wanted pasta and shrimp when he got home Tuesday but had other things to eat up.

He's getting it today.

Poulet aux vinegre tomorrow

I'm craving soup so a vegan split pea soup with carrots, potatoes, onions and croutons along with a spring mix salad.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Creamy tiny pasta with pecorino and lots of black pepper, and an egg yolk, and lemony brcoccoli.

Looks delicious, sounds good so the tasting notes are much appreciated. I have her other book but can’t remember if I’ve ever used it. :o

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, TicTac said:

Curious as to where you are and what you pay for a fresh wasabi root.  There are very few places around here (oddly enough, the most ethnically diverse city in the world) that sell them, and the one fairly 'local' Japanese place sells them at $26 CDN a piece!

I live in the Netherlands, this stuff is grown locally (actually, its the first harvest for this company). For 150 grams (3 medium size pieces) of wasabi i pay 60 euro (88 CAD), so I would say 26 CAD for 1 piece is pretty decent! 

• Like 2

9F468DDA-A710-4EC7-B08B-9F76FF2A2A10.thumb.jpeg.f21a49124104ae4f3abb2844b8727a08.jpeg

Lamb chops, sautéed marble-size potatoes and slightly overcooked frozen green peas. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Roasted salmon fillet after dusting with 5 spice and a brush of hoisin, sugar snap peas, packaged lemon pepper flavored “rice” made from veg (chickpea and lentil flour mostly). 13 more hours until my physical and then I am home free. Not that I am counting or anything....😉

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde