• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Norm Matthews 

interesting selection of Chips.

i see three type , all corn ?

Corn chips are the best ;

regular , BBQ    ( those being ' curls ' AKA Frito like )

and flat corn ?

I avoid chips like the plague.  I can't stop eating corn chips

too bad Tj's or else where doesnt have a lessSalt-WhyNotAddYourOwn   

style of corn chip.

• Like 1

There is a well known Chinese dish known as 手撕鸡 (shǒu sī jī) or 'hand torn chicken' and this isn't it.

This is 手撕鸭 (shǒu sī yā) or 'hand torn duck', which I've never heard of, but strange times call for strange dinners. The half quacker was braised with shallots, garlic, chilli, star anise and tangerine peel for a long time, then served with rice and 湖南酸菜 (hú nán suān cài ) or "Hunan pickled vegetables".

Attrition food, but tasty.

20200131_180639.thumb.jpg.013765557f758d8d27f7b9d5dc7f3995.jpg

20200131_180650.thumb.jpg.fe0817033eed1fefa31c7555521d03d5.jpg

I also garnered lots of fat and bones to be rendered or made into stock tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Norm Matthews 

interesting selection of Chips.

i see three type , all corn ?

Corn chips are the best ;

regular , BBQ    ( those being ' curls ' AKA Frito like )

and flat corn ?

I avoid chips like the plague.  I can't stop eating corn chips

too bad Tj's or else where doesnt have a lessSalt-WhyNotAddYourOwn   

style of corn chip.

Yes, all corn chips. Tostitos Cantina thin and crispy Fritos original and Fritos chili cheese.  The saltines are there in case the chili needs thickening. It didn't.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

Inspired by @liamsaunt I marinated some salmon in a mix of soy, oyster sauce and some spicy chili sauce my brother and sister in law made for us.  I did the salmon in the air fryer.  First time doing that and I liked it.  Served along with some drunken noodles.

thumbnail_IMG_7363.jpg.15a55a20e5ea1995931a3fd9eb7ccfe0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7364.jpg.3db228674820a496fe682b2afd7e7ec7.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, shain said:

Toasted pasta in walnut sauce with milk, nutmeg, pepper. Dollops of ricotta with lemon zest, Parmesan, nutmeg. Toasted walnuts and Parmesan.

IMG_20200124_150439.jpg

Recipe, or guidance, for the walnut sauce? I have a plethora of walnuts.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 hours ago, kayb said:

Recipe, or guidance, for the walnut sauce? I have a plethora of walnuts.

Here you go:

If you search for "pasta e noci" or "salsa di noci" you will find many variations. One that I really like is a quick one made by frying garlic in butter, adding walnuts and milk to form a creamy sauce (thinner than my recipe), generously applied to long pasta or green beans. Georgian cuisine makes use of a similar sauce for serving with cooked chicken, known as Satsivi.

If mentioning Georgian walnuts dishes, I can also suggest:

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

@BonVivant - oh, those lovely ceviches! I am so very glad you're posting all those photos and enjoying the food so much.

I had planned ceviche last night, but my husband wanted something more hearty done with the shrimp. I cooked a shrimp/pasta/garlic/parmesan dish instead, but didn't bother with pictures. It was good, and satisfying to us both after a difficult day. But it wasn't ceviche. And I want ceviche! I'll make it soon, even if I have to ambush him with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My first real cook after my surgery.  Carnitas, made in the IP, served with Spanish Rice (also made in the IP as regular rice, then spanished-up with some of the cooking liquid from the carnitas with some added tomato paste) and avocado.

carnitas6.jpg.171ccacbeaad07634899d2ec1c6d9f91.jpg

• Like 12

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

7 minutes ago, kayb said:

@shain -- thank you! I need to make some ricotta, and then I'll try this next week. I've never toasted pasta before cooking; about how long does it take?

@mgaretz -- glad to see you back in the kitchen

You're welcome. I'd guess 10-20, be watchful when it starts to color. 

~ Shai N.