• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

11 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Tonight's dinner: stir fried noodles, broccoli and shiitake mushrooms topped with broiled salmon.  I would have liked double the broccoli and half the noodles.  Next time.  

salmon.thumb.jpg.23f7456d527e3c9da40d9109e91aacfb.jpg

Send me your excess noodles.    On day 5 of fllu, they are the first thing that's  sounded good.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

eGullet member #80.

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

Not much to look at, but very tasty nonetheless ... Burger, Raclette cheese, pickles, french fried onions, blended BBQ sauce & mustard, all served on a toasted Brioche bun.

50244263-CF4E-4E57-AC15-F63C880E7140.jpeg

I'm trying hard to get my head around "blended BBQ sauce & mustard".

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It’s a simplified version of a “Carolina mustard sauce” I had. It blended mustard (and a bit of vinegar) with essentially all the ingredients for a “regular” BBQ sauce. Once I tried to take a shortcut and mix just the two sauces, sometimes adding a bit of vinegar depending on the acidity of the mustard. Works quite well, especially on pork or on anything with fried onions ...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dinner with the Illuminati numero un pizzaiolo: Pier Daniele Seu

When is a Pizza not a Pizza?

When presented to you by the top voted numero uno Pizza maker: Pier Daniele Seu

Did I like it?..........................

Well it's a Pizza but I still prefer the original Pizza sold only in Italy small Pizza shops baked in a rectangular tray cut with scissors and sold by the Etto.

kOdVCnV.jpg

j57IfrZ.jpg

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, Nicolai said:

Dinner with the Illuminati numero un pizzaiolo: Pier Daniele Seu

When is a Pizza not a Pizza?

When presented to you by the top voted numero uno Pizza maker: Pier Daniele Seu

Did I like it?..........................

Well it's a Pizza but I still prefer the original Pizza sold only in Italy small Pizza shops baked in a rectangular tray cut with scissors and sold by the Etto.

So that rectangular pizza cut with scissors - what was the crust like.? The first time I had it street side in Genoa it was a lovely snack  - the crust was flexible/soft - hazy memory. I'v always done mine that way - my kid defines pizza that way. The round thig = take-away to him. 

6 minutes ago, heidih said:

So that rectangular pizza cut with scissors - what was the crust like.? The first time I had it street side in Genoa it was a lovely snack  - the crust was flexible/soft - hazy memory. I'v always done mine that way - my kid defines pizza that way. The round thig = take-away to him. 

Well, I am glad you like the old style rectangular original pizza as I think it is the best.

The crust question is a difficult one as the sides are crisp but you do not always get a full side as it depends on the cut. The middle is usually baked to perfection as it will create a drama and a revolution for the Italian people having their pizza any other way.

The small Pizza shops, and they only sell pizza and calzone, they also offer a Pizza Bianca which is simply the baked version with no cheese or sauce or toppings whatsoever. And here you can taste the real dough base and frankly, it is delectable. You should try it if the opportunity arise.

Unfortunately, only in Italy and outside the main cities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicolai said:

You can obtain pizza al taglio also in other countries, but more importantly in Rome, where this style originated. Bonci is a good address ...

@Franci, @blue_dolphin, me and others have posted a couple of varieties in the Bread & the Dinner thread (including the race for the best crumb shot somewhere).

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nicolai said:

Well, I am glad you like the old style rectangular original pizza as I think it is the best.

The crust question is a difficult one as the sides are crisp but you do not always get a full side as it depends on the cut. The middle is usually baked to perfection as it will create a drama and a revolution for the Italian people having their pizza any other way.

The small Pizza shops, and they only sell pizza and calzone, they also offer a Pizza Bianca which is simply the baked version with no cheese or sauce or toppings whatsoever. And here you can taste the real dough base and frankly, it is delectable. You should try it if the opportunity arise.

733454068_2011_11_19Pizzarium3.jpg.19c70d7e3aa3654890e3884000a23c0b.jpg

Pizza al taglio topped with all sorts of goodies, at Pizzarium by Bonci, in Rome.

1580495056_2013_11_!4RomeRoscioli2.JPG.1dfb95d4e4fc9e0201a3d0de21f9e816.JPG

Pizza bianca stuffed with all sorts of goodies, at Antico Forno Roscioli, in Rome.

2039099537_Pizzabiancastructure.thumb.jpg.980fcf87ee73d1d920348644eca79eb7.jpg

Pizza Bianca, at my apartment, in NYC.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Reads worse than it eats, I think. Sauces from the Carolinas are mustardy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

Reads worse than it eats, I think. Sauces from the Carolinas are mustardy.

I often take a BBQ sauce (purchased - like Baby Ray's - don't hate on me, Baby Ray lovers!) and add a bit of ketchup, yellow mustard, franks red hot sauce, and any other items which might help liven it up!

In fact I just did that for some BBQ Chicken thighs tonight.

Blasphemy you say?  Nonsense!  Outright Deliciousness!!

Edited by TicTac
Grammar! (log)
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I thought I'd try a new recipe for chili tonight but ended up adding a lot of the ingredients from my old recipe so I am not sure I can call this one 'new", just a little different.

That looks so good.  What did you do with the  (non-green) onion?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

pickled onions work really well to contrast a rich chili. 

Or even a roast beef melt. 5846DE83-3A57-4F0E-9B64-2E3757ED1412.thumb.jpeg.b541c2cb255f8e1e679b5dc7c3198f7b.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, TicTac said:

You don't have to convince me.  I put pickled onions on sandwiches, salads, in soups...you name it!

These have quite a bit more bite then cocktail onions but my preference is the much more potent larger pickled onions. The onions that if you’re not careful when you attempt to pierce them with a fork, land up somewhere on the far side of the dining table or more likely on the floor. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog