• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

On 1/26/2020 at 1:03 PM, Duvel said:

Straightforward oxtail ragu, curtesy of yesterday’s meat special at our local butcher ...

8261136F-9BEF-4CF6-B9CC-1AB48C148E7E.thumb.jpeg.988924ec9ca5735371f1604e7ba94c56.jpeg

4AD3C73A-C356-4530-B1B2-9A7B7B6D334E.thumb.jpeg.4ba93d826291b2127c2174111b875b54.jpeg

oxtails are a wonderful product.  Glad I can find them locally, currently at our local BJ’s warehouse store.  Your ragu looks delicious 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

34 minutes ago, heidih said:

Were the sesame seeds toasted?. Don't see them added here usually. 

Sesame seeds were lightly toasted.  I add whatever crunch element I have free style ;)

• Like 4

That is interesting. Paprika and cauliflower had not occurred to me but it makes sense. Thanks!  Funny how we get certain combinations in our heads and need a nudge to fly :)

• Like 5

40763_sfs-buttery-spring-vegetables-74On Saturday I watched the latest episode of ATK while they made Buttery Spring Vegetables

I found all the vegs. at one of my nearby markets.

So, this is on my menu for dinner tonight.  I just have to pull a protein from the freezer...we'll see what I find.

The instructions are to put the cut-up turnips and asparagus into a steamer basket and steam over boiling water for 2 minutes.

Then add the sugar snap peas and steam for another 2 minutes.

Then add the radishes for another 2 minutes.

The sauce is made up of 1 Tbsp minced shallot, 1-½ tsps. white wine vinegar, ¾ tsp salt, ¼ tsp sugar, 6 Tbsps. butter cut into six pieces and chilled, followed by 1 Tbsps. minced chives.

Since I can't post the whole recipe (copyright), I will PM it to anyone who asks.

• Like 11

Vegan Buddha bowl from the new America's Test Kitchen cookbook Bowls.  It's cauliflower rice tossed with spinach and seasoned with red pepper flakes, garlic, and turmeric, topped with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, Indian-spiced crispy chickpeas, sauerkraut, and a creamy roasted red pepper-raw cashew-tahini dressing.  It sounded like such a weird combination that I just had to try it.  It was actually delicious and very satisfying.  

631243850_buddhabowl.thumb.jpg.189e6c5300279b97fce21d7e29e7bffd.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

28 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Vegan Buddha bowl from the new America's Test Kitchen cookbook Bowls.  It's cauliflower rice tossed with spinach and seasoned with red pepper flakes, garlic, and turmeric, topped with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, Indian-spiced crispy chickpeas, sauerkraut, and a creamy roasted red pepper-raw cashew-tahini dressing.  It sounded like such a weird combination that I just had to try it.  It was actually delicious and very satisfying.  

Certainly colorful and a mix of textures and flavors. So the sauerkraut was cold? How did you crisp the chickpeas?

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

Vegan Buddha bowl from the new America's Test Kitchen cookbook Bowls

It definitely looks pretty. I was not aware of the concept of “buddha bowls”, or maybe “bowls” in general. The idea is like a composed salad, just not mixed ? Is it by necessity cold ? 

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Certainly colorful and a mix of textures and flavors. So the sauerkraut was cold? How did you crisp the chickpeas?

No, the sauerkraut was warm.  The chickpeas were tossed with olive oil and baked at 350 for about an hour, then tossed with spices and salt.

22 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It definitely looks pretty. I was not aware of the concept of “buddha bowls”, or maybe “bowls” in general. The idea is like a composed salad, just not mixed ? Is it by necessity cold ? 

No, this was a warm bowl of food, other than the avocado of course!  The cookbook is divided into salads, grain/bean bowls, noodle bowls and then soups.   Most things are warm.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Duvel said:

It is a thing here in the US.  Sometimes warm, sometimes cold, like our "avocado toast" mania. Usually a grain, a protein, and various vegetables ....in a bowl. Dressings as you like. Perhaps a visual thing, and perhaps so you can eat the different ingredients as you please.  A good explanation is from Heidi Swanson (101Cookbooks)  https://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/vibrant-vegan-double-broccoli-buddha-bowl-recipe.html

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Thanks 1

I bought some really tiny mussels ... they were on offer due to their size and I did not really think it through what I could do with them. Finally, I decided to make a version of NE clam chowder - augmented by some dashi and a nice piece of cod. It turned out pretty tasty ... happy me 🤗

728711A2-51EF-4CDE-A007-E886D9FDC726.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

No, this was a warm bowl of food, other than the avocado of course!  The cookbook is divided into salads, grain/bean bowls, noodle bowls and then soups.   Most things are warm.

I don’t know where I got the idea because I have read your post over and over but I also thought that you said it was served cold. Apparently I have a completely out-of-control imagination. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, lindag said:

40763_sfs-buttery-spring-vegetables-74On Saturday I watched the latest episode of ATK while they made Buttery Spring Vegetables

I found all the vegs. at one of my nearby markets.

So, this is on my menu for dinner tonight.  I just have to pull a protein from the freezer...we'll see what I find.

The instructions are to put the cut-up turnips and asparagus into a steamer basket and steam over boiling water for 2 minutes.

Then add the sugar snap peas and steam for another 2 minutes.

Then add the radishes for another 2 minutes.

The sauce is made up of 1 Tbsp minced shallot, 1-½ tsps. white wine vinegar, ¾ tsp salt, ¼ tsp sugar, 6 Tbsps. butter cut into six pieces and chilled, followed by 1 Tbsps. minced chives.

Since I can't post the whole recipe (copyright), I will PM it to anyone who asks.

So, I made these buttery veg. Along with chicken thighs that I’d marinated in Yoshida Sauce an cooked in the CSO.

CE4B8B3E-1C3A-45A3-B301-FD4A7C4BF809.jpeg

• Like 9

Craving vegetables a lot lately.  Made a sort of olive and tomato salad to go with the last of the rueben fixings from Zingerman's

IMG_7349.jpg.220bef41a379064bbadea7e0932a8099.jpg

IMG_7350.JPG.d7138825bf4d2cd8a6e8a7ede3f786bc.JPG

Italian sausage and mozz. stuffed venison meatballs

IMG_7354.jpg.e2c4bf6af56c546476a16020e367b283.jpg

Couple of small mallards roasted in the CSO with some IP mushroom risotto

IMG_7357.JPG.a655007844cafafecbf42460e726c04b.JPG

IMG_7360.JPG.de2e5260685a1fd23b7b53b3fbbafb0f.JPG

IMG_7358.jpg.268fa9d91e5fa33fe718ac2afb7b95e3.jpg

IMG_7359.JPG.ead5855c9eb4e1bb9d240a4aef6e10e0.JPG

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Extra saucy coconut curry fish with pomegranate, another recipe from Half Baked Harvest.  She calls for cod, but I used hake from my fish share.  I also made some flatbread to help soak up all the tasty coconut sauce.

coccurryhake2.thumb.jpg.35c626dece6aace4572ed856c2428083.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1