• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

49 minutes ago, heidih said:

Heathen here as well -  microwave on paper towels on paper plate. No cleanup, super crispy

I actually consider that to be the best method when the intent is to have crumbled bacon. The unnaturally crisp texture of microwaved bacon is perfect for that specific purpose.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@Duvel 

so much WoW

so delicious 

Im sure

Id like to ask you 

to discuss privately 

how old are those Ox's?

no matter

its just  something 

way back in my mind

An Ox  not so Oldy

still make Fine Beef Tail Soup

or Ragu

cheers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

Id like to ask you 

to discuss privately 

how old are those Ox's?

To be honest - I don’t know. But next week ox cheeks are on offer and I will return and get my share 🤗

I will ask ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FA9AEE84-490F-4817-B2ED-0D6F9A54D506.thumb.jpeg.be54f21a6004c9cb9fe343eaa3199952.jpeg

Beef with broccoli – – another interpretation. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My eating habits of late have been pretty abysmal, so I undertook to cook myself something quick and relatively healthy tonight. 

20200126_174337.thumb.jpg.39b6e13690da5ff6d125bdd283dd2f0b.jpg

A hamburger patty with a liberal application of A-1 sauce, and a baked sweet potato with a significant amount of Kerrygold butter.

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Dinner last night was Vegetable Beef soup made with oxtails, soup bones and loads of fresh veg.  That  was my last package of oxtails from the freezer that I bought last year.  I stopped at the grocery today where I bought them and they told me they don’t order them anymore because they don’t sell well.  The butcher offered to order some for me if I bought a minimum of 9 lbs. at a price of $8 per pound.  I would consider it if I had the available freezer space,

Too bad, they make the most wonderful soup and broth.  I haven’t g]been able to locate them anywhere else around here.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, lindag said:

Dinner last night was Vegetable Beef soup made with oxtails, soup bones and loads of fresh veg.  That  was my last package of oxtails from the freezer that I bought last year.  I stopped at the grocery today where I bought them and they told me they don’t order them anymore because they don’t sell well.  The butcher offered to order some for me if I bought a minimum of 9 lbs. at a price of $8 per pound.  I would consider it if I had the available freezer space,

Too bad, they make the most wonderful soup and broth.  I haven’t g]been able to locate them anywhere else around here.

I just added oxtails to my grocery list.  I want to make a ragu--and now soup.  @Duvel was the first inspiration and now you're also inspiring me.  Ox tails used to be super cheap at the Walmart, but now not so much.  So, I'll look and if they aren't too expensive I'm going to get some.

• Like 3

Darn, now I want oxtails.  

1151491548_AppleCrispPieJanauary26th2020.thumb.jpg.095bb5241b913b62b083859b32273a19.jpg

I had enough pastry left for a single crust.  So I baked an apple crisp pie this morning before leaving for work.

419389284_AppleCrispPieJanauary26th20202.thumb.jpg.84c1d4e612613792a9b48044fbebffd0.jpg

Moe had to look at it all day so he decided that was all he wanted for dinner. 

I made a caramel sauce to finish it off. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Dinner01272020.png

From The Romagnolis' Table (p40):  pasta al pomodoro e basilico.*  Merely butter, tomatoes, parmesan, and basil.  Basil from my dining room, parmesan older than my granddaughter.  Gratuitous meatballs, sorry.

Glass of WhistlePig as a digestive.  Single barrel, barrel strength.  This is not a work night.

*"...and rather special and more delicate with homemade fettuccine."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've done something similar before. I'll do something similar again.

A bed of orzo with mixed crab and flying fish roe.

20200127_182832.thumb.jpg.3ef2497dd9033163c849c3a5e46f4cac.jpg

Topped with shrimp, obviously,  garlic, ginger, shallots, Sichuan peppercorn chilli and coriander leaf.

20200127_183316.thumb.jpg.0fa1358246144f5d9b84f1cd21797a01.jpg

20200127_183335.thumb.jpg.12a6d0525d4a2de1dce57a6d3c014682.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

18 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Recipe, please 🤗

Removed skin,  used a food processor to chop fish roughly.  I added 1 egg .--  I season using a prepared mix I have ( pick up in Carlsbad )

My Mirepoix  --  I chopped onions, celery, fresno peppers, fresh parsley, ( caper berries ) and some lemon zest

I add that to the fish mix from there I just add Panko till I can bid the mix

Form Patties/ rest in fridge about 1 hr.

I fry in black cast/  with olive and butter

I cook by eye ,  so dont have exact measurements

Cheers--they were awesome    I had some meyo, spinach and a pickle on a wheat bun

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Its good to have Morels

Citrusy chicken rested on herbs from Alison Roman's new cookbook Nothing Fancy.  I used lime juice.  The chicken had a great, bright flavor.  Served with her recipe for lemony steamed broccoli and some Southern-style (aka not sweet) cornbread.

1104167497_citruschicken.thumb.jpg.c24ff90ee129d0086bfe536899de0156.jpg

cornbread.thumb.jpg.36d4b0480ea5fd7e89d93eed3361af04.jpg

• Like 14