• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Mixed grill:  that is dry aged ribeye and Australian rib lamb chop.  Baked potato, salad.  I tremble to mention Momofuku.  Dinner was supposed to have been masala dosa.  However after 12 hours my dosa batter has not risen.  Somehow I doubt it will.  But I shall give it overnight.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Soup of roasted sweet potato, pumpkin and carrots; parsley root, Thai red curry paste, loads of ginger, star anise, bay, coriander seeds. Fished with coconut cream and pumpkin seeds.

Orange salad with chili, scallions, fish sauce, dark sugar, garlic, peanuts.

IMG_20200117_150426.jpgIMG_20200117_145823_1.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

~ Shai N.

One more.  An attempt at Salmon ala Troisgrois.    OK......I learned a lesson.  The Sorrel Sauce was fantastic.  But I overcooked the salmon.  Even though it was in a pan for less than a few moments, you really have to go quickly and plate.

IMG_3145.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Owtahear said:

Filet.....believe it or not I learned it was possible to cook one of these without Sous Vide.  Just old fashioned paying attention.

Awfully glad to hear this    I don't own a sous vide system.   Nor do I to to a restaurant for THEM to use one.

eGullet member #80.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, Ann_T said:

@weinoo, I toss them in a bag with seasoned cornstarch, shake, most of it off,   and bake on parchment paper at 450°F in the CSO on the Bake Steam setting.  Turning once half way through.

They don't need to be marinated.    Yesterdays were seasoned with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.   Sometimes I rub them first with fresh garlic before tossing with the cornstarch.   Cornstarch makes for the best light crispy coating. 

Which CSO are you using @Ann_T?

5 hours ago, Owtahear said:

Filet.....believe it or not I learned it was possible to cook one of these without Sous Vide.  Just old fashioned paying attention.

My brother gave me a sous vide for Christmas andI have used it once: to pasteurize eggs for a salad dressing.  I cook my meat (that I don't eat) your way 🙂

So tonight, for the first time that I can recall, my husband and I were alone for dinner on Saturday night.  I usually do not take pictures on weekends because I normally have anywhere from 6-12 people here eating and everyone has stuff they will or will not eat. I admit I am part of the problem.  I will not eat most meat.  But tonight, it was just me and hubby.  And we still could not agree! So, choose your dinner!   Waygu flat iron steak with fries and marinated tomato salad

80600717_steakdinner.thumb.jpg.ebe587bfca18688233b314b3eff0d11b.jpg

Or, blackened shrimp with remoulade and same sides

1804884132_shrimpdinner.thumb.jpg.05d1cd4ddf11ae307b344095f4508e85.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'll go with the shrimp, please.

I'd probably go with the shrimp too...though my doctor told me not to eat shrimp.

• Sad 1

MasalaDosa01262020.png

Masala dosa.  Clearly my dosa rolling needs more work.  Mango pickle, mango chutney, Momofuku ranch.*

*just kidding, mint raita.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Owtahear said:

I knew that. 😊

@Owtahear Beautifully cooked steak. And roasted potatoes. 

1726718017_ChickenPotPieJanuary25th2020.thumb.jpg.d41a3d82b689497c712acebd084d9b65.jpg

I made chicken pot pies for dinner last night.

Before leaving for work I poached the chicken breasts and then cooked the vegetables in the broth.

Used the broth and heavy cream to make the sauce.

When I got home from work, all I had to do was make the pastry and get the pies into the oven.

1354328298_ChickenPotPieJanuary25th20201.thumb.jpg.8a7b76ddd074424e3901a9e5b832ab69.jpg

Served with garlicky green beans.

My favourite Chicken Pot pie recipe.

I used the last of the Anson Mills Pastry flour I received in a Secret Santa gift. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 6

19 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

all I had to do was make the pastry

All you had to do....LOL that would take me all day and in the end I'd still end up using Pillsbury pre-made that I have in the fridge 🤣

Found some canned clams--like a case of 12 that I bought for some reason lol--so clam chowder and cheese toasties

IMG_7330.JPG.0e3e91e9f2d9bee80dc6170cafb5e305.JPG

IMG_7332.JPG.e50a285338f2c190a13575cb3a72bef4.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG.3334014c03386af37f743d5321afb247.JPG

Fried shrimp (excuse the messy cutting board) and mushroom pasta

IMG_7333.jpg.3ae6925f5bf64eef0e291f8b9f168ec5.jpg

IMG_7334.JPG.2eeabe4a2873448ee523b2afa2f27770.JPG

Venison meatloaf.  I had some with my gravy.

thumbnail_IMG_7340.jpg.e107f14573d23246b4c55798f3086d4e.jpg

Venison Cabbage rolls and buttered noodles

thumbnail_IMG_7345.jpg.7454058e68738ded365022acf44dd755.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7347.jpg.e0f441f0f30d7372039f5127cd5b2df0.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

17 minutes ago, Shelby said:

clam chowder

This looks so good. Care to share the recipe? I have one single can of clams but then there’s only me. I’m OK with short division.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

it is nice to have a little meatloaf w

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy 

sort of a textural counterpoint.

but the real point is the MPwG !

I come down on the side of no G on the MP

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

@gfweb

of course , I was referring

to really really good gravy.

not jarred nor canned.

its OK to start w a SoupBase

but much better w a 4 to 8 x iPot's stock.

unfortunately

ive never found a really good Meat  soupBase or stock base

and Im not going to iPot beef for stock

my loss

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This looks so good. Care to share the recipe? I have one single can of clams but then there’s only me. I’m OK with short division.

😁

A couple pats of butter in the pot and cook diced (or chopped in my case because I have no patience to cut small things lol) onion, garlic, celery and carrots until soft. Add the juice from the can of clams and a cup or two of chicken broth.  Add a bay leaf.  Add peeled diced (chopped lol) potatoes or non-peeled diced red potatoes, cover and cook until potatoes until they are done.  Turn heat down very low or remove from heat and add a cup or so of heavy cream and the clams.  Season with salt and pepper as you go to your liking.  A sprinkle of bacon crumbles is good on top or some parsley or both.  I didn't have the energy to make bacon lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I come down on the side of no G on the MP

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb

of course , I was referring

to really really good gravy.

not jarred nor canned.

its OK to start w a SoupBase

but much better w a 4 to 8 x iPot's stock.

unfortunately

ive never found a really good Meat  soupBase or stock base

and Im not going to iPot beef for stock

my loss

I am a heathen.

thumbnail_IMG_7348.jpg.54904c142697005f1c9a7ebf43ec9ff8.jpg

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

A sprinkle of bacon crumbles is good on top or some parsley or both.  I didn't have the energy to make bacon lol.

Heathen here as well -  microwave on paper towels on paper plate. No cleanup, super crispy

• Like 3