• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

25 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalker.

I went into Victoria yesterday for some shopping and

before I left I asked Moe what he would like for dinner. His response was wings.

So that is what we had.

1685286063_BuffaloWingsandFriesJanuary22nd20203.thumb.jpg.8a04192a0d418352a3ee82a5ad230852.jpg

Platter for Two.

318224906_BuffaloWingsandFriesJanuary22nd2020.thumb.jpg.2a72d92ceb4bba08502f1bb0082c9be6.jpg

Buffalo Wings with fries.

Baked in the CSO on Bake Steam setting.

I prefer the sauce on the side so the wings stay crispy.

How do you get them so nice and crispy - what temp/time/marinate/etc. are you using?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

28 minutes ago, weinoo said:

How do you get them so nice and crispy - what temp/time/marinate/etc. are you using?

@weinoo, I toss them in a bag with seasoned cornstarch, shake, most of it off,   and bake on parchment paper at 450°F in the CSO on the Bake Steam setting.  Turning once half way through.

They don't need to be marinated.    Yesterdays were seasoned with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.   Sometimes I rub them first with fresh garlic before tossing with the cornstarch.   Cornstarch makes for the best light crispy coating. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

13 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

Chicken Ballotine a la Jacque Pepin

The several times I've made it I used Julia's instructions.    I fell in love with her when she wrote (and I paraphrase), at this point it looks all wrong, a mess, but keep going and it will turn out fine.    My mantra in so many situations.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The several times I've made it I used Julia's instructions.    I fell in love with her when she wrote (and I paraphrase), at this point it looks all wrong, a mess, but keep going and it will turn out fine.    My mantra in so many situations.

Haven't checked hers out. I'll look it up when I get home from work.

3 minutes ago, Robenco15 said:

Haven't checked hers out. I'll look it up when I get home from work.

Julia can give you the confidence to do all kinds of daunting stuff and it works out!  First souffle, stuffed veal breast (challenging but incredible), baguette. Let us know how it goes. 

• Delicious 1

Midweek dinner party last night.     Conscientious use of assorted "planned overs" and easily prepared and/or do ahead dishes made it pretty easy.

Pork rillettes, cornichons, baguette slices, homecured olives; sparkling wine
Cauliflower (and bacon) soup served with crispy panko crumbed fried oyster on top, drizzle of curry oil
Thick cut red snapper, seared, finished in oven, caper salsa, camargue rice, grilled radicchio with balsamic dribble
Papillon blue and La Tur cheeses, prune and walnut pate
Chocolate sherbet with crushed dried oranges and soft whipped cream
DH’s famous fresh mint tea
Navarro Gewertztraminer, planned to pair only with the soup, was requested throughout

A good time with good friends.

• Like 7

eGullet member #80.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:32 AM, shain said:

Pasta mista, some of it fried. Chickpeas, Italian soffritto,  rosemary, parsley, garlic, parm.

Shai, enticing pictures, as usual. Why fry some of the pasta? Texture?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I hope @shain shares. I see fried pasta in that region- there are some packaged products in our "Kosher" section  in US

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TdeV said:

TdeV and Shain, THANK YOU for this recipe!    Relying strictly on one recipe I found, you make fresh pasta and indeed fry half of it.    I have to wrap my arms more firmly around this, but I will try it!     Again, thanks so much!

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Dinner01232020.png

Philips grilled spareribs, sweet potato.  Momofuku ranch and stuff not shown.  Sad thing about Momofuku ranch, I eat it with a spoon.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Chinese New Year's Eve dinner for one.

Pork ribs with  郫县豆瓣酱 (Pí xiàn dòu bàn jiàng), garlic, ginger, Shaoxing wing, soy sauce, scallion and coriander leaf. Shanghai bok choy. Rice.

20200124_195541.thumb.jpg.3e5ef2bc84857ff426281ddfdb56d2dc.jpg

20200124_195551.thumb.jpg.430a1d5ee107f55381b208973dc1f079.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 15
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

C90EC2E2-F8A0-49EF-88EB-886C98840B22.thumb.jpeg.cb8ed697229dbc43fc69fecbc601d942.jpeg

Needed a better photographer than me to do justice to last night’s dinner. Artichoke and spinach gratin. Jarred artichoke hearts, baby spinach, gruyere cheese and buttered Panko.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, TdeV said:

13 hours ago, heidih said:

I hope @shain shares. I see fried pasta in that region- there are some packaged products in our "Kosher" section  in US

13 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

TdeV and Shain, THANK YOU for this recipe!    Relying strictly on one recipe I found, you make fresh pasta and indeed fry half of it.    I have to wrap my arms more firmly around this, but I will try it!     Again, thanks so much!

The pasta is fried for texture (and to a lesser degree flavor). Some version call for mixing the fried pasta with the hot sauce, so that it softens and gains a chewy texture. Other, me among them (being the crunch addict that I am), add the fried pasta as topping.

I make this dish every year, usually with freshly made pasta. But this time I opted to use packaged dry pasta. Frying it requires the pasta to be soaked in cold salted water for an hour (you can cook it instead, but then it tends to stick). Baking also works perfectly well (though you still need a decent amount of oil).

The sauce itself also changes between versions. The simplest call for simply chickpeas and a few herbs. More complex version cook the chickpeas in stock. Some use soffritto.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

32 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Thanks, Shai. Different pasta shapes are to provide different textures? Have you chosen shapes which require the same cooking time?

Answered in the recipe thread. But more than additional textures (which is fun), I had odds and ends of pasa boxes to use up.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

I was talking with a friend who just returned from a 10 day work trip to India.  He said he was craving a steak   AAAAHHHHHH.  I woke up this morning thinking the same thing!  It has probably been 4 years since I have a NY strip.  I don't grill at home as Johnnybird does not approve of "burned" meat as it causes cancer.  Too much to do today to stop or go out so seeing if I can reply to his messages I'm going to make a s bison burger for dinner tonight and the remainder of meat will go into a smooch for when he gets home sometime next week.

I have some sautéed pork and some Indian-ish broccoli and cauliflower dish foe tomorrow.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Tried my hand at potato gnocchi for the first time tonight. Fixed them up with a sauce of brown butter, sundried tomatoes, spinach, and parm.

I used just enough flour for the dough to come together, but had to cut in more at two points during the dough-making process and as a result they ended up sliiightly gummy. Still, Im very pleased with the result. 

ps gumminess also could have been because i, due to equipment limitations, had to pulverize the potatoes through a pasta strainer instead of ricing them.

6F58F711-819A-476F-B2FD-898087DA6808.jpeg

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, wobblewedge said:

Tried my hand at potato gnocchi for the first time tonight. Fixed them up with a sauce of brown butter, sundried tomatoes, spinach, and parm.

I used just enough flour for the dough to come together, but had to cut in more at two points during the dough-making process and as a result they ended up sliiightly gummy. Still, Im very pleased with the result. 

ps gumminess also could have been because i, due to equipment limitations, had to pulverize the potatoes through a pasta strainer instead of ricing them.

6F58F711-819A-476F-B2FD-898087DA6808.jpeg

For a first attempt, they look lovely!    If you have leftovers, I'll gladly come by and critique.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

eGullet member #80.