• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

From sublime to ridiculous....dinner for granddaughter who is sleeping over tonight.   

Pork belly, mac and cheese, cauliflower and GREEN GODDESS DRESSING, a new adventure and new favorite food!

342483600_ScreenShot2020-01-21at5_45_15PM.thumb.png.c052361fbf275b26052afb9271544e6c.png

Ridiculous?  What is ridiculous?  (Except for the cauliflower, of course.)

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, would you please share your version of Chicken Cacciatore.  Most recipes are based on a tomato sauce I prefer it without. 

Recipe from The Romagnolis' Table (1975) -- perhaps my most well worn cookbook.  The mushrooms are my own addition.  Plus I usually cheat.  The Romagnolis instruct one brown the chicken pieces on all sides in oil, thus seasoning the floor and wall.  Sometimes I do this (if short on time and I don't mind a few burns on my hands and face).

Better, in my opinion, to cook the chicken parts sous vide.  Then dry carefully and brown in the CSO.  What I showed in the picture was about 10 minutes on 500C steam broil.

Meanwhile I sautee the mushrooms and garlic (I do like garlic) then add the chicken pieces along with handful of rosemary and a couple bay leaves (since Bugialli's probably not watching).  Then to the pan over high heat add lots of white wine vinegar.  Let that boil off.  Then add white wine.  Let that boil down a bit,  salt to taste, cover and simmer.  (OK, in truth I usually salt when adding the wine vinegar.)

Since by my method the chicken is already fully cooked, the braising time is not critical.  I braise for about 20 minutes.

When ready to serve, remove chicken pieces and keep warm.*  Add a bit of water to the pan and bring to the boil over high heat.  Should make an emulsion.  Return the chicken pieces to the pan and serve.  If mushrooms are not desired just leave them out.  But why would you?

*CSO of course.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

10 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Why does deionized water make a difference when vacuum sealing?

It doesn't.  The deionized water is to extract the kombu.  Can't make dashi with hard water.

• Like 2

@JoNorvelleWalker 

The Romagnolis' Table (1975) is a fine  book.

they had a fine cooking show on WGBH  , BOS PBS  back when it as a real PBS

and they opened a restaurant in Salem , N of Boston  

I loved the show and went to the restaurant several times

excellent food , Northern Italian  , not Red Sauce Italian

it didn't last very long.   People might have been looking , back then

for Italian American.      nothing wrong w I.A.food

but its not Northern Italian

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

cuGGU71.jpg?1

Ends Meat grass-fed porterhouse, about 1.75 lbs. Only aged 21 days as that's what I wanted, trying to break Significant Eater into the funk slowly.

Reverse sear, oven at 225℉, till the steak reached about 115° internal temp. Then slammed in cast iron.

Served with green beans and roasted baby potatoes. Cabernet Sauvignon from Stonestreet.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

20 minutes ago, weinoo said:

cuGGU71.jpg?1

Ends Meat grass-fed porterhouse, about 1.75 lbs. Only aged 21 days as that's what I wanted, trying to break Significant Eater into the funk slowly.

Reverse sear, oven at 225℉, till the steak reached about 115° internal temp. Then slammed in cast iron.

Served with green beans and roasted baby potatoes. Cabernet Sauvignon from Stonestreet.

Hard to tell from the pic, but did you put any seasoning on it besides black pepper?

Huge fan of dry aged steaks - a local butcher (Cumbrae's) that supplies most of the top restaurants in Toronto puts out some amazing beef and has an 8 week aged rib-eye that is out.of.this.world.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

I’ve done it twice. Mostly because I just wanted to learn to do it.  

Yeah, you get it. The first time I tied it up no problem. This second time I couldn’t figure it out for some reason, lol. It worked out in the end. 

Thanks @JoNorvelleWalker.

I went into Victoria yesterday for some shopping and

before I left I asked Moe what he would like for dinner. His response was wings.

So that is what we had.

1685286063_BuffaloWingsandFriesJanuary22nd20203.thumb.jpg.8a04192a0d418352a3ee82a5ad230852.jpg

Platter for Two.

318224906_BuffaloWingsandFriesJanuary22nd2020.thumb.jpg.2a72d92ceb4bba08502f1bb0082c9be6.jpg

Buffalo Wings with fries.

Baked in the CSO on Bake Steam setting.

I prefer the sauce on the side so the wings stay crispy.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 17
  • Delicious 2

Been jonesing for German for a while. So yesterday afternoon I set about making rouladen.

20200122_160526.thumb.jpg.a3cc86adc0fb1f1f1ba0861adf7a01f3.jpg

Rolling up a brat and a kosher dill in a jacquarded steak I had pounded thinner.

20200122_160755.thumb.jpg.abb61199d7a7938746bcfcfe57f2526f.jpg

Ready to go in the skillet to be browned, then simmered in beer flavored with Caraway.

20200122_191014.thumb.jpg.135f541a9e45118495dd3d181103c568.jpg

And the final product, with red cabbage and a latke.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com