• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

@Nicolai 

Nice  , or Ultra Nice 

it remains to be seen  

After the first Pic , I thought I might need some M.R. 

Hydration Therapy , sooner , rather than later

Soooo  phantasmagoric  !

Ill review tomorrow 

once my visual acuity  returns to My Personal Normal

remember , PVA  is mine , not so much yours

but I did see some Tasty Items

I think

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Last of Iberico blood sausage, with Sauerkraut and chestnut-tempeh dumplings.

vzzpwS4.jpg

In Sicily:

All lovely but can you explain the chesnut tempeh dumplings please. New combo to me.

Mimi Thorisson's chicken standby: lightly seared chicken breast, splash of marinara, melting cheese -> oven until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.   Here, with garlicky beet greens.

photo-1.thumb.JPG.c26b264c22b6e7545954eb50af898a69.JPG

Husband invoked a corollary of the 90's chardonnay invective:  ABC....ANYTHING BUT CHICKEN.     Sorry, Mimi.    Even you can't revive his saturation with this meat.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

eGullet member #80.

18 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Mimi Thorisson's chicken standby: lightly seared chicken breast, splash of marinara, melting cheese -> oven until chicken is cooked through and cheese is melted.   Here, with garlicky beet greens.

photo-1.thumb.JPG.c26b264c22b6e7545954eb50af898a69.JPG

Husband invoked a corollary of the 90's chardonnay invective:  ABC....ANYTHING BUT CHICKEN.     Sorry, Mimi.    Even you can't revive his saturation with this meat.

Beautiful beet greens but you lost me with the chardonnay invective.  All that comes to mind is Carol Kane in The Dead Don't Die, but that is probably not the reference ("...cheap chardonnay," as Bill Murray adds).

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful beet greens but you lost me with the chardonnay invective.  All that comes to mind is Carol Kane in The Dead Don't Die, but that is probably not the reference ("...cheap chardonnay," as Bill Murray adds).

ABC, "anything but chardonnay," became wine snobs chant some years ago, referring to not well made bottles.    These same people slurp white Burgundies.....so go figure.   

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

11 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

ABC, "anything but chardonnay," became wine snobs chant some years ago, referring to not well made bottles.    These same people slurp white Burgundies.....so go figure.   

Oh at least here in the 80's it was the girl at the pick up bar  always "chardonnay". Heavy oak and yucky then. Food follows the path of life travel... we do move on

No photos, but, it being colder than the proverbial well-digger's nether portions, I opted for an Instant Pot of taco soup. Three kinds of canned beans (one must be chili beans, the other two I used black and cannelini as that was what I had on hand); a can of whole kernel corn; two cans of tomatoes and one of tomato sauce; a sauteed diced onion and three or four cloves of minced garlic; and a pound of ground beef browned with copious quantities of Penzey's taco seasoning. A standby from years past. Must be served with Fritos corn chips scattered atop. Had to stop by the grocery on the way home from church for the Fritos and chili beans, but I had the rest on hand.

It, and some Glenlivet, served to ward off the chill. It is presently 21. I am contemplating emigrating to Barbados.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

early dinner , take out from RiceNoodle

my favorite place and favorite order :

1142259537_RiceNoodle-1.thumb.jpg.c04b9b581d48e0bd5f5f334bd2868c33.jpg

Duck , broad rice noodles , green peppercorn and thai basil   

w TodMunPla and two ' dips ' :  standard crushed sweet peanut , and pickled jalapeños  , very hot

the TodMunPla   was good , but not as crispy as at the restaurant , of course.

next time I might have to eat that there !

come to think of it , I could easily manage eating this right now !

but @Home   there is Ice Cold Hoponius Union Beer in an Iced Mug

( not shown , Im probably already drinking it )

this for me is an outstanding dish.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

5 hours ago, kayb said:

It, and some Glenlivet, served to ward off the chill. It is presently 21. I am contemplating emigrating to Barbados.

Indeed.  Been at Barbados is but one of many synonyms collected by Ben Franklin in The Drinker's Dictionary:

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Franklin/01-02-02-0029

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9ABD23FA-E90E-4DB9-AEDC-956472D7128C.thumb.jpeg.c43c8c91b5f627f5ee8d0fddd1658826.jpeg

Perfectly simple. Simply good.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog