• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby - I meant to ask - re: the corned beef sandwich kit.  How was the cole slaw?  I can't get my head around a mail order salad.  Did it come dressed?  Or did you do that part?  Inquiring minds.  

It was pretty good...needed some salt.  It was a creamy slaw and yes, it came dressed in a plastic container in a cooler type thing with ice packs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, heidih said:

I meant from bees that gather from the plants or mixed in fruit in some form. Like when we say clpver or orange

Just asked the owners.  They are from bees that gather from the plants though they also do some infused honey.  They said they are constantly moving the hives around and use limited hives in an area.  Course in south Jersey its easy to find acres of blueberries to glean from.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

27 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie always wants Mac &Cheese with steak.  The steaks were in the freezer waiting for an event that didn't happen.   We also had squash stuffed with rice, onion, corn, poblano pepper and cheese. 

I'll just take that squash as my meal :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Husband asked for naked sliced cucumber which he would address

348967307_photo1-1.thumb.JPG.5569a3d5c864935899c0c25ef0ccbee2.JPG

He had designs on Blenheim apricot balsamic and blood orange olive oil brought by recent dinner guests.    I didn't get a taste...so I guess it worked.

Sausage and pepper pasta.   

275979947_photo2-1.thumb.JPG.9a2f5ca8876fc81aa9eec74e751bc005.JPG

Excellent.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

12 hours ago, Raamo said:

We like AB's Shakshuka so much we've made it a few times.

20200117_180427.thumb.jpg.21e5531f582879dbc18c8bd8a70423b8.jpg

This is just my 3 eggs, my wife eats 2 eggs.  We only put 5 in.

It makes more then the 2 of us can eat so we save the left over sauce and eat with Nan and it's very tasty.

That's looks delicious, the recipe also seems to be well spiced (thought personally, I'd skip the lemon).

Shakshuka sauce keeps well, I always makes double or triple batches. Makes a great weekday dinner - just throw in an egg :)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

That's looks delicious, the recipe also seems to be well spiced (thought personally, I'd skip the lemon).

Shakshuka sauce keeps well, I always makes double or triple batches. Makes a great weekday dinner - just throw in an egg :)

I love the preserved lemon, would not skip it!

• Like 3

Saturday evening: family wanted to go for Thai. Searched for a decent restaurant, found it, made reservations and was getting ready to leave. Wife returns from the cellar, still unpacking boxes from Hong Kong, and had found our Raclette grill, so ... change of plans - and actually a quite happy one, as we had copious amounts of cheese and cold cuts at home !

3D476A4D-063F-4B43-9B6E-A96EDC40C530.thumb.jpeg.5cadfde69a13f6aff8f12631491c4daa.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Actually my onion rings were breaded and oven baked 😊

Still not healthy by any means. But I am not brave enough to deep fry anything at home. 

Would love to hear more about your method!  They look fantastic.

I have tried a few times to do baked onion rings (fries I have down pat) but have had mixed results...

@Duvel 

is this the Raclette-ie

thing of a mageegie ?

[ pls excuse spelling  ]

well

how does it work ?

Ive studied Your Complete Table'

one Id not just like

but gobble up

no Rain in my comment :

what's the situation in your area 

for Tongue ?

various T's ?

miss it myself

razor thin 

in the Top of the Line

sandwich 

cheers

• Like 3

You put whatever you like (e.g. cold cuts, fruit, potatoes, mushrooms) into individual little pans and top them with raclette cheese (or other varieties). Then you put it into the raclette grill, which is a broiler with a strong top heating element, that will melt the cheese over the content of your pan. The broiler coil is directly under the metal cover, which in turn gets pretty hot and is used for roasting bread, or frying bacon ...

Ox tongue (cured and boiled) is easily available at any butcher. I do love it as waferthin slices piled on top of rye bread with some dijonnaise or sometimes horseradish mayo ...

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tonight's dinner: Chicken Marbella variation (using just chicken breast, and done as a saute dish) with steamed corn (with nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and umeboshi vinegar) on the side.

83479651_548456409213551_8368859237861818368_n.jpg

• Like 7

It snowed here last night so I made soup for supper.  Two kinds, because of course no one can agree on what ingredients they like 🙄  Creamy chicken, mushroom, and mini gnocchi

963640867_chickensoup.thumb.jpg.ac5ab39d235c420d02d8a2789f2ce8e6.jpg

Pumpkin and apple with bacon-pumpkin seed granola

1723410327_pumpkinsoup.thumb.jpg.1d4061869bdbec88a8123227bd4240fd.jpg

Both recipes from the Half Baked Harvest cookbooks

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

No photos, dinner at home last night also. Pan seared tuna that I had briefly marinated in soy/lime/ginger, oven roasted broccoli and garnet sweet potato (microwaved sweet potatoes until softened a bit, cut in to 1/2" thick circles, sprinkle of ancho chili, salt, and one drop of honey on top of each before roasting).

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Noma Seefood Season

I like Seafood and even more to Seefood and we decided to hit Seafood Season at Noma post NYE festivities to start 2020 on a high.

Copenhagen was cold - wet and windy and I was jet lagged and sleepy but the show must go on as instructed by my loving wife....... and you have not met my MIL yet......

Noma

w8zeDve.jpg

The Seafood menu

ixf2AFp.jpg     

The offerings pics in no particular order

2E7xEww.jpg     

6cwfwqZ.jpg

zteB3qG.jpg

L4fqo6a.jpg

rRYuXI5.jpg

YLpHf6M.jpg

IAaYCAu.jpg

aeDssMx.jpg

2DXwiTI.jpg

FePkKIS.jpg

a7lLQAD.jpg

YNE0LjC.jpg

ciPEMM4.jpg

39V9iJX.jpg

pBAxPTr.jpg

pMDqvmq.jpg

Next stop will be in a small French restaurant with an Argentinian Chef: Le Mirazur.....here we come.......

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2