• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

More recipes from Half Baked Harvest.  Vegetable stuffed potstickers (I used cabbage, shiitake mushrooms, broccoli and carrots) with spicy sesame dipping sauce. My shaping skills could use some work. 

potstickers.thumb.jpg.d572804fb0b71a6e3828d0ceb2e062ba.jpg

Garlic butter ramen with greens and egg.  I doubled the greens because I had a bunch of collards in the fridge to use up

ramen.thumb.jpg.20f0337a2e1acd1ee6d18b998ca89ff0.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 12

My mom and step dad gave me a gift cert. from Zingerman's for Christmas.  I've always wanted to try their corned beef sandwich kit.  I decided to do it and received it Tuesday.  Came in handy last night because I needed something easy to make for dinner.  They say it's the best corned beef ever.  It really was very good.

I didn't get a pic of every thing but it comes with all the things you need.  Loaf of rye bread, mustard, the meat, dressing, swiss cheese, cole slaw, kraut, half sour pickles, brownies, coffee cake, tater chips, place mats, napkins.  You name it, it came with it.  'Twas a fun meal.

thumbnail_IMG_7301.jpg.3a634daa68b1d03490cfaf6964cbc76f.jpg

This mustard is really really good

thumbnail_IMG_7302.jpg.43e9eb822802be555ed2dd45b44abffe.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7304.jpg.27693b5ab8dfed3d099668a1f189f1bd.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

It was my first time eating that--it is GOOD.  I left it out all day but my house is cold and it didn't get as runny as it should have, but still very good.  Both cheeses were a splurge but we don't go on vacations or anything so I figure we can do some cheese now and then. 😁  And I have an obsession with runny cheeses.

Be on the lookout for Reblochon - if you have not had it already.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Adding this to my list.  Thank you!

Pleasure.  Though do not blame me for your new obsession or your lighter pocket book 😛

Oh, and that mustard rocks - obviously - it's Canadian! 😁

• Haha 5

20200115_184957.thumb.jpg.8a51ee53f19f2ab7a26b8ca1ebea3561.jpg

The aforementioned potato corn chowder, topped with diced ham. Asparagus salad on the side, sans pecorino, which I forgot. Fruit salad, not pictured, for dessert.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Braised rabbit with mushrooms & meatballs, quick one-pot farfalle & peas with butter and parmigiano. This is the little ones plate, as the adults were demolishing their plates before any proof could be recorded ...

94C86BF3-38F4-4813-B423-6BB3260E208A.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Braised rabbit with mushrooms & meatballs, quick one-pot farfalle & peas with butter and parmigiano. This is the little ones plate, as the adults were demolishing their plates before any proof could be recorded ...

Time for rabbit - been a while. Interesting combination - what meat were the meatballs?

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Time for rabbit - been a while. Interesting combination - what meat were the meatballs?

Classic Catalan dish: this time I used pork. But veal is fine as well ...

@Shelby - I'm so sorry you've been sick!  I'm glad you feel like the worst may be over.  You are a trooper.

I’ve had a craving for tomato soup and grilled cheese for a few days.  So, I made Quick Tomato Consommé and grilled Cheddar and Provolone on sourdough:

DSCN0596.JPG.6a9be02c705ad7229592fd506c902a94.JPG

DSCN0598.JPG.dfee01d2b977ba7e193eccf5c16051c6.JPG

Another night, I did the Butter Poached Shrimp and Orzo that @Anna N introduced us to.  Got a nice emulsification of my water and butter:

DSCN0600.JPG.c96479513d3755f8dd2b25ceddb4e370.JPG

Salad with greens, homemade croutons, Craisins, and my Daddy’s paprika dressing:

DSCN0601.thumb.JPG.72e0047df2aa84566f58705800d3f723.JPG

Finished shrimp, spinach, and orzo:

DSCN0602.JPG.6eb54570f5da7f11b3a8f22536b99f5c.JPG

This was very, very rich.  It tasted good, but I felt like the balance was off between shrimp and orzo.  Another half dozen shrimp and this would have served 4 people, I think.  As it was, the two of us finished all the shrimp (1/2 lb.) and had a LOT of orzo and spinach left over.  Someone somewhere here mentioned the possibility of doing this with olive oil instead of butter.  I cannot even begin to imagine the over-unctuousness that would result in doing so.  

Last night was a Carolina dog (slaw and chili), kraut, baked beans and mashed potatoes:

DSCN0607.JPG.0e8d8b2eb7e0bd411d248d3057b11964.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

@Shelby,  hope you are feeling better soon.  

Johnnybird has been between here and there and he just left for three places in 10 days a

few hours ago.

All of a sudden he decided he likes  Black Forest ham and Finlandia lacey swiss cheese roll ups(YES those are required … no other meats or cheese allowed).   Sent him off with them.  

I was hungry for breakfast … oatmeal with cranberries, cranberry honey and almonds.

Still hungry so t.wo hard scrambled eggs with some chopped ham and white pepper.   

Very happy now

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

34 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Unexpectedly snowing outside.   Hunkered down.   Same old, same old short order dinner.

Iceberg

1211240799_ScreenShot2020-01-16at6_05_06PM.thumb.png.039b85e7958125a9db4b13be24bed6c1.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=1b5586c5b8cfb2a2

Pork schnitzel

418506782_ScreenShot2020-01-16at6_05_20PM.thumb.png.a127a83f2ab8fd2031437e6f77758eab.png

Not short order in my house.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, heidih said:

???

Cranberry honey from Cape May Honey Farm...and blueberry  … and sage … and butterbean … and ……………………...

When we go down in the fall I try to hit up this place then go visit Mrs. Rea for my jellies and jams, pickles and fresh limas.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Cranberry honey from Cape May Honey Farm...and blueberry  … and sage … and butterbean … and ……………………...

When we go down in the fall I try to hit up this place then go visit Mrs. Rea for my jellies and jams, pickles and fresh limas.

I meant from bees that gather from the plants or mixed in fruit in some form. Like when we say clpver or orange