• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

solids don't get smashed flat im a chamber vac.

Ive firmed up burgers in the freezer first for a while , not frozen of course

but it didn't seem to matter very much

Never tried hamburger but chicken gets mashed flat to my experience.  And why would it not?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker 

you must be getting some strange chicken.

Ive done tons of SV CkBr 

and they stay more or less w the same geometry they had before they get in The Bag.

softer items  might flatten a little 

its been said that you don't want to ' pull ' a full vacuum w fish , as it would get smooshed 

but cod hasn't for me , but its a firm fish.

if you vac's a poached egg sans shell , then one might see a different geometry in 

the vac's bag.

Spiced lentil soup (cumin, garlic, paprika, hawaij , turmeric, bay leaves), carrot, caramelized onions, celery, tomato. With crisp fried noodles. Gremolata of parsley, garlic, lemon zest, chili, olive oil. 

Pickled beetroot raita, with fennel seed, pepper, chili, cumin. Toasted sesame and nigella.

Lachuch.

IMG_20200104_204930.thumb.jpg.34ccc5b697898d8eebfd6c3774c021b2.jpgIMG_20200104_191822.thumb.jpg.421692c56987389b3de23e82d68fb5f5.jpg

IMG_20200103_142703.thumb.jpg.5d23f46e66c674378be5f80d7ad2b22a.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

Pizza.  I tried a new dough recipe which was not as cooperative as my usual, so ended up with some weird shapes.  Butternut squash, apple butter, prosciutto, carmelized onions, sage, thyme and cheese

1053376654_butternutsquashpizza.thumb.jpg.c2652ddb565f2fa60141457409399590.jpg

standard margharita

2144073089_margaritapizza.thumb.jpg.320e51fdb24aa8d4ebbae25358c52854.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

weird shapes.

Pizza with character! What’s wrong with that I ask you. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

My son’s birthday yesterday.  He loves lamb so....

BJ’s had the fattest pair of shanks in their meat  case.   They were huge, plenty of leftovers 

2D252C8A-B4DA-4590-9F39-298F7F236EC8.jpeg

But that looks like more than two shanks.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

rPjWAyy.jpg?1

Porrusalda.  This is a Basque homestyle dish, stew or soup - you be the judge, and one which I encountered at Ernesto's recently.

Of course, it's basically a simple leek and potato soup, here supplemented by carrots, the leeks sweated in both duck fat and olive oil.  In Basque Country, they might add soaked salt cod to the dish before serving, to make it more substantial. 

It's classically water based (as is the leek and potato soup I often make), but the cup or so of chicken stock I had sitting in the fridge, was added and certainly didn't detract from the dish - it added to it.  

Oh yeah, it's topped with a sprinkle of espelette, a la Ernesto's.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

39 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Porrusalda.  This is a Basque homestyle dish, stew or soup - you be the judge, and one which I encountered at Ernesto's recently.

That just looks so good.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thai style vegetable curry with coconut milk and crispy chickpeas.  Veggies were broccoli, peppers and carrots, plus a mango and pomegranate seed garnish.  Quite nice and a decent level of heat.  Recipe from the Half Baked Harvest cookbook.  I guess Half Baked Harvest is a food blog.  I have never read the blog, but I like the cookbook.  Most of the things I am making this week are coming from it.  

983620393_veggiecurry2.thumb.jpg.4c986b609327d12eebf144c5f3258d83.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Thai style vegetable curry with coconut milk and crispy chickpeas.

This looked so good that I forced my eyes to avoid those words “crispy chickpeas” and went off to find the blog and to look up the book. I shall be following closely what you make this week before deciding whether or not to spend my precious Christmas gift certificate on the book. But please don’t feel pressured. 😂

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Crispy Pork Carnitas Taco with Onion, Cilantro and Salsa Verde - one of two!

Yes, please... but my brain doesn't comprehend tacos in numbers smaller than six and generally prefers larger numbers than that. :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I come to look at all the nice food and then contribute nothing but a sandwich. :P Needed food for the college football championship game last night and didn't want a lot of work or a big mess. The game was in New Orleans and with Bama not in it, I decided to stick with the SEC and was pulling for LSU so the muffuletta seemed like the perfect solution. Instead of the traditional giant sandwich, I went with individual sized on ciabatta buns.

muffuletta2.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

two (2) meatballs

Three meatballs in the picture.  Three meatballs more with the second helping.

• Haha 5