• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

Squid with  snow peas - a classic Chinese pairing with garlic, ginger, chilli Shaoxing wine and oyster sauce. Served with orzo because I'm probably the only person in China who doesn't have any rice! I knew I had forgotten something at the market this morning!

2044719763_20200108_2011451.thumb.jpg.6930d3ce346a42e9271f1df10bfaa42f.jpg

1083250769_20200108_2011561.thumb.jpg.1ac263784067f87df086d9cec4881206.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Squid with  snow peas - a classic Chinese pairing with garlic, ginger, chilli Shaoxing wine and oyster sauce. Served with orzo because I'm probably the only person in China who doesn't have any rice! I knew I had forgotten something at the market this morning!

I hear you. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to go back into the store for the one thing I'd specifically intended to buy when I walked in...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

As part of a Secret Santa gift exchange I participated in this Christmas, I received a lovely box from my Secret Santa.  It arrived yesterday afternoon. 

It  contained a number of products from Anson Mills in South Carolina.

190886139_SecretSantaGiftJanuary7th2020.thumb.jpg.0764fcaa2d09b86d5e07a7d231015524.jpg

One of the items was their COLONIAL STYLE FINE CLOTH-BOLTED PASTRY FLOUR.

The flour is described as:

"Screened to a silken finish from the finest Red May wheat, this flour is an exact reproduction of the pastry flour of the Colonial South, which has been out of production since the 1850s. Esteemed historically for its crisping properties, Red May wheat represents crisping nonpareil when it is stone-milled gently, and then sifted immediately by hand through a fine silk bolting cloth at 100% bran extraction. Its texture is so fine that when rubbed between the fingers, it feels almost like cream (historically, the flour was known as “crema”). Red May pastry flour is loaded with whole wheat germ flavonoids and nutrients. It is soft enough to make biscuits tender and pie dough flaky, but strong enough to support buttery layers in laminated doughs like Danish or croissant."

Just from this description alone, I  couldn't resist baking a pie immediately. 

239545582_ApplePieJanuary7th20201.thumb.jpg.1c4cb8be4530d3fbca53397dcd9f4833.jpg

Thankfully I had just enough apples.

The pastry was wonderful. Easy to work with and the finished crust was light and flaky.

2004602784_ApplePieJanuary7th20203.thumb.jpg.6bdeeabac2405e79e0f204516c0207ff.jpg

I'm posting it on the dinner thread because Moe talked me into cutting the pie while it was still warm and having it as our dinner. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

Wow, what a gift!!

I bought some of their products awhile back.  Not cheap when one considers you have to order a certain amount and by the time one pays shipping from down south...it's a pricey endeavour...one that I will be repeating once I use what I have.  They are in the freezer as directed.  

Wonderful products and I love the story.  Be sure to check out their recipes.  The wife of the founder is a trained chef; she worked in America's Test Kitchen and she formulates and tests all the recipes.  The cooking method for the Carolina Gold Rice is perfect.  https://ansonmills.com/recipes

Enjoy.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Must be a male thing....DH went to the store for two things:  beer and sour cream.  Yup...no sour cream in the grocery bag.  I don't get it!  I do love him, although sometimes he makes it very hard😍

Priorities 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Must be a male thing....DH went to the store for two things:  beer and sour cream.  Yup...no sour cream in the grocery bag.  I don't get it!  I do love him, although sometimes he makes it very hard😍

Fair enough, but who really needs sour cream if you have BEER 😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Lipton onions mix and our cream is a really good onion dip for chips.  Does anyone have a recipe for onion dip not using the mix?

Have not tried it, but this might work https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-french-onion-dip/

28 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Lipton onions mix and our cream is a really good onion dip for chips.  Does anyone have a recipe for onion dip not using the mix?

Not quite, but you might like this onion/mayo grilled toast.    Onion/mayo toasts used to be our early poverty midnight snack.    So easy, so fast, so cheap, so delicious.   eta, we never added the cheese.

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Sometimes, you do what you gotta do. 

I was craving tamales and chili, but the closest good Delta tamales are 100 miles away. So I picked up a half-dozen at Lost Pizza, which purports to get its tamales made in Greeneville, MS, in the heart of Delta tamale country. Then picked up the requisite can of cheap grocery store chili, grated some cheese, chopped some onions for Child A, nuked the tamales and the chili, and assembled.

Enjoyed with an appetizer of Rolaids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have made Ina Garten's pan fried onion dip and it was very good.  Here is a link: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pan-fried-onion-dip-recipe-1940693

I baked a batch of pita bread this evening without knowing what I wanted to do with it.

pita.thumb.jpg.0c61a9470a5a8120a5c9f2943d5ebe8e.jpg

After some dithering around I made a chipotle-sun dried tomato tuna salad from the Half Baked Harvest cookbook, piled it on a pita with some avocado, arugula and red onion and a little sharp cheddar and stuck it under the broiler.  The salad uses mashed avocado instead of mayonnaise to bind the oil packed tuna with the chipotles and sun dried tomatoes.  I liked it, but it was a bit rich for what I was in the mood for,  I probably should have skipped the cheese.

1584650643_tunamelt.thumb.jpg.1eb4f71a474c2446d31dd2a546085d92.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Pure laziness led me not to cook tonight (although I did prepare tomorrow's dinner which will marinade overnight) , so I went to the local Japanese place. It's not great to be honest, but...

20200109_193613.thumb.jpg.946b403b2f4dea995d2bfc2a1874bd0d.jpg

Shashimi

20200109_192427.thumb.jpg.ca490ba61bf65d0f198cea683e8f759b.jpg

Sushi - Tuna, Salmon, Japanese Amberjack

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Ronnie does this all the time, but he always explains that the store was out of whatever is missing.  Last time it was sugar 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie does this all the time, but he always explains that the store was out of whatever is missing.  Last time it was sugar 🤷‍♀️

I learned a long time ago, that sending Moe to the grocery store was not a good idea.  

Last night's dinner.  Made a second batch of sourdough on Sunday, at 82% hydration.  Left it in the fridge until yesterday.

Pizza two ways with sourdough crusts.

Moe and I had our typical sausage and mushroom

375774781_SourdoughCrustSausageandMushroomreadyforthestoneJanuary8th2020.thumb.jpg.d9f717d0176ebf4e348e253b57abbd18.jpg

35481097_SourdoughCrustSausageandMushroomPizzaJanuary8th20201.thumb.jpg.628360d78e76897998870d3b198b368a.jpg

1094222703_SourdoughCrustSausageandMushroomPizzaJanuary8th20204.thumb.jpg.2299ee86cf48325599048fd113276b61.jpg

and Matt made his own Greek Pizza. 

1887628976_SourdoughGreekPizzaJanuary8th2020.thumb.jpg.9203c0acfbfa24e754a78f3c9216216b.jpg

1113793449_SourdoughGreekPizzaJanuary8th20201.thumb.jpg.4a79ee28c1d90765288c53e3106be803.jpg

26765079_SourdoughGreekPizzaJanuary8th20202.thumb.jpg.7d6e7c61db152936a2056b4f0e3a2548.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

@Shelby At least they were 'out' of sugar.  Once I sent DH to the grocery store for potatoes.  He did come home with potatoes but most of them were rotten 😯  Then the most unbelievable thing happened when I took them back to the store with the bill from the previous day....the produce guy said 'so what if they are rotten'!  Must be a male thing.  Maybe he'd like to join DH for some green mashed potatoes.  I have to say that was a long time ago and DH is way better at choosing produce.  He is in charge of shopping just now with me recovering from surgery and nothing rotten has come in the door.  He even didn't buy something because it didn't look good.    Houston, we have progress. (tongue firmly in cheek). 😁

• Haha 7

@Ann_T  Your pizza crust is just out of this world.  I have the recipe.

Do you make it quite thin before toppings go on?  I see the edges are nice and thick which is my favourite.  What temperature do you cook them at?  Now I am craving pizza.😍