• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

14 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

Yes, that's my go-to lasagne recipe, though like you I only make it about once per year. I love his suggestion of layering alternating spinach and plain noodles, the slices are striking:

DSC_8183.jpg

This also is my go to recipe.  Have made it many, many times and also with the alternating spinach layers.  It's not so bad if one does it over a few days...making the sauce and letting it 'mature' in the fridge.  The pasta can be made and blanched ahead also....this really helps.

I found the recipe on-line from "Recipe Secrets" https://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/recipe-exchange/30194-lasagne-al-forno.html

I compared it to the book recipe and pretty well spot on.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Cauliflower Crust Pepperoni Pizza

49335061423_cca6f085f7_b.jpg

49335064473_1019cf2681_b.jpg

Occasionally, I do enjoy cauliflower crust pizza as well. Your „dough“ looks very different to mine: is that a coarse grind or is that grated cheese in the crust ? What are the non-white particles ?

• Like 1

@Duvel--  I make my own C rice,   I break it down to 1/2 the size of a BB.    I micro wave that for about 6 mins.  I cooled it and then squeeze all the water out.  To that I had shredded Mozzarella  and grated Parm.   I added Italian seasoning ( looks black flakes ).  Mix all together,  then I add a room temp beaten egg..lightly toss all together.  Press out on a parchment lined sheet pan, cook for about 20 min's @400 F  ---add warmed sauce and Shredded Moz on top.. cook anothe 10 mins. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Its good to have Morels

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

This also is my go to recipe.  Have made it many, many times and also with the alternating spinach layers.  It's not so bad if one does it over a few days...making the sauce and letting it 'mature' in the fridge.  The pasta can be made and blanched ahead also....this really helps.

I found the recipe on-line from "Recipe Secrets" https://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/recipe-exchange/30194-lasagne-al-forno.html

I compared it to the book recipe and pretty well spot on.

One difference, Bugialli has one cook the chicken breast in the sauce and then remove and chop the chicken near the end.  Unless possibly the recipe is different in different editions of the book.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

One difference, Bugialli has one cook the chicken breast in the sauce and then remove and chop the chicken near the end.  Unless possibly the recipe is different in different editions of the book.

You are right my friend...I didn't go to page 178 to check the method on the sauce making.

• Haha 1

Brunswick stew tonight. I finally broke down the Boston butt we ate bits of Saturday. 3 1/2 pounds of meat, plus what went in the stew (about another pound?) stashed in the freezer. Better than half of this stew will go in the freezer as well. Tomorrow, I'll attack the ham, portion it out and vac-pack and seal it, and grind up the big chunks to freeze for deviled ham or ham croquettes, and freeze the hambone for future stock. Come the apocalypse, if we can keep the freezer powered up, y'all come on down. There will be plenty to eat.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

39 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

roasted broccoli, brown rice and avocado bowl with shichimi togarashi, spicy chili crisp condiment and ponzu

1293398893_broccolibowl2.thumb.jpg.257cbfe0f5fc12db1978ebfd750b98db.jpg

Beautiful presentation!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dante said:

Tonight's dinner:ground pork pies with corn-and-edamame succotash sprinkled with nutritional yeast on the side.

I grew up with Adelle Davis on the bookshelf so I kinda scream "oh gosh" when I see nutritional yeast. More recently it has become an umami golden child particularly in vegan cuisine. I need to re-acquaint myself. 

Edited by heidih (log)

14 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

roasted broccoli, brown rice and avocado bowl with shichimi togarashi, spicy chili crisp condiment and ponzu

1293398893_broccolibowl2.thumb.jpg.257cbfe0f5fc12db1978ebfd750b98db.jpg

Another lovely bowl. You have the prettiest dishes.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Two recent dinners.  These may be my last dinners/cooking for many weeks as I am going in for major back surgery tomorrow and will limited as to what I can do during the recovery period.  But I will be lurking!

Lamb chops, served with steamed Brussels Sprouts in butter:

lamb-chop.thumb.jpg.500ad5adc51492e4aaecce48e189ee2e.jpg

Meatloaf, served with snap peas in butter.  The bottom slice kinda came apart on the way to the plate.

meatloaf-snap.jpg.2e4e69aa2504eb927e0c31869ecda232.jpg

• Like 14

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

18 hours ago, heidih said:

I grew up with Adelle Davis on the bookshelf so I kinda scream "oh gosh" when I see nutritional yeast. More recently it has become an umami golden child particularly in vegan cuisine. I need to re-acquaint myself. 

It's not a bad ingredient,if used correctly. My rules are:

- Use good quality product.

- Always cook it if using more than a pinch (cooking breaks its smell).

- It is not a cheese substitute. It's more akin to msg.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

19 hours ago, heidih said:

I'm a great fan of the stuff, and that came out of my studies of vegan cuisine, but I love using it on veggies, or as a flavour for sauces and such.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Two recent dinners.  These may be my last dinners/cooking for many weeks as I am going in for major back surgery tomorrow and will limited as to what I can do during the recovery period.  But I will be lurking!

I hope you have a successful surgery and a full and fast recovery!

Dinner was another bowl meal.  I'm trying to up my veggie intake to make up for a very indulgent rich food holiday period of eating.  Between this for dinner and a smoothie with two cups of spinach in it for breakfast I did OK today.  This bowl is brown rice, black beans, garlic sautéed collard greens, and smoked paprika roasted acorn squash with aji sauce and jalapeños.

1380406728_beanbowl.thumb.jpg.d6144bf12be37e1c15ad55847b6d4eae.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, mgaretz said:

Best of good wishes for your recovery.

• Like 1