• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2020

JoNorvelleWalker

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

He doesn't really care THAT much...any more.

No, it just makes it easier for him to come and get you.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Khoresh bademjan. Eggplants, split yellow peas, tomatoes, onion, spices (inc. garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon). Persian dried lime, orange zest. Yogurt, almonds, mint, pomegranate molasses.

Khoresh sabzi. Beans, chard, spianac, parsley, cilantro, onion. Persian lime, spices (inc. garlic, turmeric, fenugreek, coriander, cumin).

Rice.

IMG_20191227_152943_1.jpg

IMG_20191227_152959.jpg

• Like 12

~ Shai N.

@shain  I don't think we did a new years cooking resolution topic. What I would like is to bring in so many flavors and textures with shain's inspiration as regards vegetarian cuisine.  Heidi Swanson (101 cookbooks) does it but not in such a captivating way.  Usually cooking for myself.  I have to figure out a pantry method that has depth and breadth and retains freshness.  Thank you!

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4068587A-974B-42A0-8820-607E1E51681C.thumb.jpeg.61024e367caf957b97d4665f1ebd4242.jpeg

Seriously loaded or perhaps over loaded baked potato— Butter, stilton cheese and caramelized onions. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, shain said:

Khoresh bademjan. Eggplants, split yellow peas, tomatoes, onion, spices (inc. garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon). Persian dried lime, orange zest. Yogurt, almonds, mint, pomegranate molasses.

Khoresh sabzi. Beans, chard, spianac, parsley, cilantro, onion. Persian lime, spices (inc. garlic, turmeric, fenugreek, coriander, cumin).

Rice.

IMG_20191227_152943_1.jpg

IMG_20191227_152959.jpg

I see the dried lime is left whole on the plate.  Were they cooked with any of the components?  Does one tear into it and eat with the dish?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I see the dried lime is left whole on the plate.  Were they cooked with any of the components?  Does one tear into it and eat with the dish?

I puncture and soak them, then squeeze into the pot and add them along with the soaking water, to be cooked. One should avoid squeezing or eating the cooked lime, as the bitter interor is now soft and can easily get out.

I'd avoid serving it to unsuspecting guests :P

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

~ Shai N.

Last nights dinner was based on a trip to the back of the frig.  I reheated beef ribs (under the broiler) which I had separated from  a rib roast prior to serving for Christmas dinner and served them  with other remnants of meals from the past week.  The ribs had been vacuumed bagged and had held up quite well.

IMG_20200103_182658190.thumb.jpg.5fa0e7189b7409cfebaff451d55d2c15.jpg

New years dinner included all the usual suspects with the addition of a roasted beet and satsuma salad that was really refreshing.

IMG_20200101_125611943.thumb.jpg.95e17619417bd41eedb47371f9cad180.jpg

A few other dishes that were incorporated over the holidays included mirlition, sausage and cornbread dressing

IMG_20191215_180312280.thumb.jpg.2e885ed886a3d892d860ff36c198cba4.jpg

A delicious rutagaba, turnip and butternut  squash gratin from a Southern Living recipe

1229772691_IMG_20191215_180300353(1).thumb.jpg.946dd2a571e4d30b8ef6a0c26efd1d22.jpg

A 9-inch cake pan surface area is the equivalent to 2 x 4-inch and 2 x 5-inch so I made these White Chocolate and amaretto cheesecakes to serve and also to gift. The bread is overnight white from Ken Forkish.

IMG_20191221_190108751.thumb.jpg.1ff45dd29bff9939886e3b714d870662.jpg

• Like 16

Stir fried chard and shitake mushrooms, with oyster sauce, garlic and black vinegar.

Tea braised eggs and tofu, with cinnamon, star anise, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, fennel seeds, dark soy sauce.

Rice , zha cai.

IMG_20191228_141946.jpg

• Like 8

~ Shai N.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:04 PM, rotuts said:

@kayb  

what is GF cheese biscuit crust?

im a big fan of casseroles 

like this one  

that's what one does intelligently w left overs

new , and better the before.

I went looking for a gluten-free Cheddar Bay biscuit mix I was pretty sure I had, but  couldn't find it. I had my mouth set for that as a crust, so I used some gluten free baking mix, added shortening, cheese, eggs and milk (eggs? in biscuits? go figure), and made up a biscuit dough I dolloped on top of the filling. It was a bit thinner than regular biscuit dough, thus the flat appearance. Brushed it when it came out of the oven with some garlic-herb butter. Worked like a charm.

I still have a big chunk of roast left. I may stick it in the freezer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Leftover, over-salted Bugialli lasagna al forno.  Though through some culinary forensics I think I've found the problem.  The way it is written this is a maddeningly* complicated procedure, referring to two other recipes for execution but not for the list of ingredients.

Long story short, Bugialli calls for adding the salt, reducing the sauce; and then, then, at the last minute** adding the chopped ham.  This afternoon at work I had a sandwich made from the same ham.  The ham was unbearably salty.  Why have the poor cook adjust the salt to perfection before adding a salt bomb?

*I forgot what this footnote was supposed to be but I'm sure it was something awful.

**literally.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Leftover, over-salted Bugialli lasagna al forno.  Though through some culinary forensics I think I've found the problem.  The way it is written this is a maddeningly* complicated procedure, referring to two other recipes for execution but not for the list of ingredients.

Long story short, Bugialli calls for adding the salt, reducing the sauce; and then, then, at the last minute** adding the chopped ham.  This afternoon at work I had a sandwich made from the same ham.  The ham was unbearably salty.  Why have the poor cook adjust the salt to perfection before adding a salt bomb?

*I forgot what this footnote was supposed to be but I'm sure it was something awful.

**literally.

Perhaps Bugalli was using a Euro ham, which I believe are less salty. 

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Perhaps Bugalli was using a Euro ham, which I believe are less salty. 

Bugialli calls for "prosciutto or boiled ham".  I was at the mercy of what Jeff would ship to me.  I chose Principe San Daniele:

http://www.principefood.com/eng/san_daniele.htm

Be that as it may, other than this attempt being a little over salty, lasagne al forno is an exceptional recipe, even without my cherished bay leaf.  Stink bug (now departed) on my neck at dinner not withstanding.