• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

20 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Not kidding on the "tasty" mold :S 

When my mom was a kid, one of her jobs in the kitchen (helping her older sister who raised her) was to mix the yellow food coloring into the margarine. She was a margarine maven from then on. I eventually introduced butter into her original recipe Chex Mix and her Christmas cookies. My siblings were floored by the flavor difference between margarine and butter. 

Today, I have both butter and margarine in my kitchen and it depends on what I am cooking or eating as to which one I use.

I just never told when I switched to butter - they just thought my skills improved over time, But yes I come from making laminated pastries with "Fluffo" (colored yellow v. Crisco which looks like lard.  http://moirashome.blogspot.com/2013/12/goodbye-crisco.html

Oh and Mike Wallace on the video!!!  Before fame...

heidih

heidih

15 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Not kidding on the "tasty" mold :S 

When my mom was a kid, one of her jobs in the kitchen (helping her older sister who raised her) was to mix the yellow food coloring into the margarine. She was a margarine maven from then on. I eventually introduced butter into her original recipe Chex Mix and her Christmas cookies. My siblings were floored by the flavor difference between margarine and butter. 

Today, I have both butter and margarine in my kitchen and it depends on what I am cooking or eating as to which one I use.

I just never told when I switched to butter - they just thought my skills improved over time, But yes I come from making laminated pastries with "Fluffo" (colored yellow v. Crisco which looks like lard.  http://moirashome.blogspot.com/2013/12/goodbye-crisco.html