• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ambra

ambra

typo!

A lot of deliciousness these days! Many compliments for all of your food!

Happy belated @Shelby

This weekend I made Ribollita. The Tuscan vegetable and bread soup. It really looks terrible, in the bowl and in photos, but it's a favorite in my house. It’s basically minestrone enriched with more white beans and black kale. Stale Tuscan bread is then added. This dish is the reason I bring the bread back to Lombardy when I go to Tuscany. It’s not just about the no salt, but the consistency. You can’t use regular bread in it, it becomes gummy.  After it is made, it is reboiled (hence the name) the next day.

IMG_9556.jpg.3d170f21d1a32e440a1aaa9770006870.jpg

I'm still not out of my cooking funk. The most exciting thing I made (so not exciting at all) was an old-school spinach salad. In Italy, they sometimes talk about dated dishes.  There are a few that come to mind, like Farfalle with Smoked Salmon or even Penne alla Vodka. Obviously, people still make what they like. And no one cares if a dish is out of style. 😀

This gets me thinking about American dishes that are old – at least dishes that I only ate back in the day, that my parents made.  Today, for me, that dish was an old-school spinach salad with bacon, eggs, mushrooms and a warm dressing. I couldn’t remember how my mom did the dressing really -- (I feel like the eggs were part of the dressing?) so I just riffed off a few recipes I Googled. It was perfectly satisfying and brought me warm memories of my mother’s kitchen. It was her birthday and I always cook her dishes to remember her.

IMG_9541.jpg.704f02fcdad806c88a557833535d805d.jpg

ambra

ambra

A lot of deliciousness these days! Many compliments for all of your food!

Happy belated @Shelby

This weekend I made Ribollita. The Tuscan vegetable and bread soup. It really looks terrible, in the bowl and in photos, but it's a favorite in my house. It’s basically minestrone enriched with more white beans and black kale. Stale Tuscan bread is then added. This dish is the reason I bring the bread back to Lombardy when I go to Tuscany. It’s not just about the no salt, but the consistency. You can’t use regular bread in it, it becomes gummy.  After it is made, it is reboiled (hence the name) the next day.

IMG_9556.jpg.3d170f21d1a32e440a1aaa9770006870.jpg

I'm still not out of my cooking funk. The most exciting thing I made (so not exciting at all) was an old-school spinach salad. In Italy, they sometimes talk about dated dishes.  There are a few that come to mind, like Farfalle with Smoked Salmon or even Penne alla Vodka. Obviously, people still make what they like. And no one cares if a dish is out of style. 😀

This gets me thinking about American dishes that are old – at least dishes that I only ate back in the day, that my parents made.  Today, for me, that dish was an old-school spinach salad with bacon, eggs, mushrooms and a warm dressing. I couldn’t remember how my mom did the dressing really -- (I feel like the eggs were part of the dressing?) so just riffed off a few recipes I Googled. It was perfectly satisfying and brought me warm memories of my mother’s kitchen. It was her birthday and I always cook her dishes to remember her.

IMG_9541.jpg.704f02fcdad806c88a557833535d805d.jpg