• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

20 hours ago, ambra said:

This is Baccala' Mantecato. I guess it's like Brandade but without the potatoes. It is baccala that has been steeped with some flavorings (like peppercorn, onion, bay leaf and the rest) and then whipped with olive oil. We like it enough that it has its own designated bowl. 😃 It's usually served atop crispy fried polenta crostini, but we didn't have the patience for that this weekend! 

IMG_9377.jpg.f43ffa39912e3d9d2f9be8cb59c57ce2.jpg

Ahhh - one of my favorite dishes, and one I haven't made in a loooooong time.  

Way different than brandade, because as well as no potatoes, it was originally made with dried stockfish, which was air-dried but not salted, if my memory serves me correctly.  And something which is virtually impossible to obtain nowadays, as is good salt cod, I suppose. (Unless you're lucky enough to live in or near the Veneto!)

And it does:

In Italy, the term baccalà usually refers to salt cod, however in Venice it’s used to mean Norwegian stockfish. This recipe works equally well with either. If you get the dried variety you will have to soak it in water for three or four days to hydrate it, changing the water occasionally. Luckily, you can usually buy it ready hydrated.

As well as in Saveur:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Creamed-Stockfish/

weinoo

weinoo

20 hours ago, ambra said:

This is Baccala' Mantecato. I guess it's like Brandade but without the potatoes. It is baccala that has been steeped with some flavorings (like peppercorn, onion, bay leaf and the rest) and then whipped with olive oil. We like it enough that it has its own designated bowl. 😃 It's usually served atop crispy fried polenta crostini, but we didn't have the patience for that this weekend! 

IMG_9377.jpg.f43ffa39912e3d9d2f9be8cb59c57ce2.jpg

Ahhh - one of my favorite dishes, and one I haven't made in a loooooong time.  

Way different than brandade, because as well as no potatoes, it was originally made with dried stockfish, which was air-dried but not salted, if my memory serves me correctly.  And something which is virtually impossible to obtain nowadays, as is good salt cod, I suppose.

And it does:

In Italy, the term baccalà usually refers to salt cod, however in Venice it’s used to mean Norwegian stockfish. This recipe works equally well with either. If you get the dried variety you will have to soak it in water for three or four days to hydrate it, changing the water occasionally. Luckily, you can usually buy it ready hydrated.

As well as in Saveur:  https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Creamed-Stockfish/