• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

Decided to be a bit creative and create a Chinese flavored take on hummus. Just to be clear, this is not hummus - hummus is only hummus if made from chickpeas and tahini.

I made a paste of yellow split peas (which I know are used in Yunnan, not sure about their popularity in the rest of China). I added sesame paste and peanut paste for richness, some rice vinegar, garlic, five spice mix, chili, MSG, a pinch of sugar.

Topped it with more unblended peas; peanuts, home made chili oil and a bit of light soy sauce; douchi with garlic and black vinegar; spicy pickled mustard stem; and a bit more five spice and toasted peppercorn.

Served warm with fluffy pita. Not bad at all :P

PXL_20200925_105932423.jpg

shain

shain

Decided to be a bit creative and create a Chinese flavored take on hummus. Just to be clear, this is not hummus - hummus is only hummus if made from chickpeas and tahini.

I made a paste of yellow split peas (which I know are used in Yunnan, not sure about their popularity in the rest of China). I added sesame paste and peanut paste for richness, some rice vinegar, five spice mix, chili, MSG, a pinch of sugar.

Topped it with more unblended peas; peanuts, chili oil and a bit of light soy sauce; douchi with garlic and black vinegar; spicy pickled mustard stem; and a bit more five spice and toasted peppercorn.

Served warm with fluffy pita. Not bad at all :P

PXL_20200925_105932423.jpg