• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scamhi

scamhi

added a tag to the question

14 hours ago, David Ross said:

Bringing back my Caesar Salad recipe that I make a few times a year.  It's fairly close to the original, anchovies and coddled egg included.  I think even better than the salad are the homemade croutons.

Caesar Salad 1.JPG

Ingredients-

For the Garlic Olive Oil-

2 cups extra virgin olive oil

10 cloves garlic, minced

For the Croutons-

1 loaf French bread

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup garlic olive oil

For the Dressing-

1 1/2 cups garlic olive oil

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 oz. can flat anchovy filets

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. chopped capers

3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

1 egg lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

For the Salad-

6-8 romaine hearts torn into large pieces

1 small head butter lettuce, torn into pieces

black pepper to taste

croutons

Instructions

Preparation-

Start by making the croutons. Heat the oven to 375. Cut the bread into thick slices, then into large cubes.  Spread the croutons in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 6 minutes so they start to crisp. Remove and let cool.

Put the croutons in a large bowl. Combine the melted butter and 1/2 cup of the garlic olive oil in a bowl and drizzle over the croutons and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Return the croutons to the baking sheet and bake again until they toast and turn golden, about 8-10 minutes.

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  It's best to whisk the dressing by hand as a food processor is too fast and will thicken the dressing like a mayonnaise.

Just before serving, place the romaine and butter lettuce in a large serving bowl.  Add about 3/4 cup dressing, some croutons and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.  Season with lots of black pepper.  Serve with extra croutons and Parmesan cheese on the side.

@David Ross how much of this dressing do you actually use at one time?  I find that garlic gets stronger as it sits.

scamhi

scamhi

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

Bringing back my Caesar Salad recipe that I make a few times a year.  It's fairly close to the original, anchovies and coddled egg included.  I think even better than the salad are the homemade croutons.

Caesar Salad 1.JPG

Ingredients-

For the Garlic Olive Oil-

2 cups extra virgin olive oil

10 cloves garlic, minced

For the Croutons-

1 loaf French bread

1/2 cup melted butter

1/2 cup garlic olive oil

For the Dressing-

1 1/2 cups garlic olive oil

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 oz. can flat anchovy filets

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. chopped capers

1 egg lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

For the Salad-

6-8 romaine hearts torn into large pieces

1 small head butter lettuce, torn into pieces

black pepper to taste

croutons

Instructions

Preparation-

Start by making the croutons. Heat the oven to 375. Cut the bread into thick slices, then into large cubes.  Spread the croutons in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 6 minutes so they start to crisp. Remove and let cool.

Put the croutons in a large bowl. Combine the melted butter and 1/2 cup of the garlic olive oil in a bowl and drizzle over the croutons and toss to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.  Return the croutons to the baking sheet and bake again until they toast and turn golden, about 8-10 minutes.

Combine all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  It's best to whisk the dressing by hand as a food processor is too fast and will thicken the dressing like a mayonnaise.

Just before serving, place the romaine and butter lettuce in a large serving bowl.  Add about 3/4 cup dressing, some croutons and Parmesan cheese and toss to combine.  Season with lots of black pepper.  Serve with extra croutons and Parmesan cheese on the side.

how much of this dressing do you actually use at one time?  I find that garlic gets stronger as it sits.