• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TicTac

TicTac

Grammar!

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've bought some Indian mangoes in NYC before. I'm always disappointed by them - just like you say -stringy and the flavor nothing like what it should have been.

You guys need a better mango hook-up!

In late spring/early summer we go to the local Indian grocery stores for cases of their Alphonso's, Kesar and Neelam mangoes.  Pricey, but sooooo worth it!

Strange that you find them stringy, as I would say the complete opposite - really good Indian mangoes are far from stringy (unlike say, the Hayden mango from Hawaii - which was unreal, BTW - but a totally different mango) but far more creamy (and perfume'y!)

TicTac

TicTac

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've bought some Indian mangoes in NYC before. I'm always disappointed by them - just like you say -stringy and the flavor nothing like what it should have been.

You guys need a hood mango hook-up!

In late spring/early summer we go to the local Indian grocery stores for cases of their Alphonso's, Kesar and Neelam mangoes.

Strange that you find them stringy, as I would say the complete opposite - really good Indian mangoes are far from stringy (unlike say, the Hayden mango from Hawaii - which was unreal, BTW - but a totally different mango) but far more creamy (and perfume'y!)