• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

@weinoo @TicTac I've made HTK's chicken rice - it's really good - but keep in mind that that is a Thai version.... chicken rice exists in basically every country in Asia (I don't know about Japan/Korea, but definitely China and every SE Asian country I can think of).  In each country (or even in a region in a country) it varies - sometimes varying a lot to what's found in other countries.  The Singapore/Malay version uses a chili sauce made with lots of ginger and usually a sweet soy sauce is on the table if you want to add it. In Central Vietnam, they typically add a bit of turmeric to the rice, add some black peppercorn, sliced raw onions and some rau ram on top, and there is no chili sauce - but instead, they will use the accompanying soup as a dipping sauce.  Pai's version found in HTK is what's commonly found in Thailand - or atleast it resembles what I had in Bangkok - I don't know if it varies throughout Thailand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

KennethT

KennethT

I've made HTK's chicken rice - keep in mind that that is a Thai version.... chicken rice exists in basically every country in Asia (I don't know about Japan/Korea, but definitely China and every SE Asian country I can think of).  In each country (or even in a region in a country) it varies - sometimes varying a lot to what's found in other countries.  The Singapore/Malay version uses a chili sauce made with lots of ginger and usually a sweet soy sauce is on the table if you want to add it. In Central Vietnam, they typically add a bit of turmeric to the rice, add some black peppercorn, sliced raw onions and some rau ram on top, and there is no chili sauce - but instead, they will use the accompanying soup as a dipping sauce.  Pai's version found in HTK is what's commonly found in Thailand - or atleast it resembles what I had in Bangkok - I don't know if it varies throughout Thailand, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.