• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

On 8/14/2020 at 2:21 AM, MetsFan5 said:

@BKEats I have that same bacon in my fridge. 

Is it similar to the actual bacon served at Lugers? I was going to grill it in the BGE but maybe it’s not as thick as the bacon while dining at Lugers. 

The bacon is delicious, it's smoky and it's thick but, it's definitely not the bacon they serve there... Your best bet is to buy slab bacon and cut it yourself... I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon... Maybe ask for a 2 pound chunk.. Then you can cut  1 inch  slices, or have them do it at the butcher.  But, yeh, the lugers bacon is much closer to an inch or more thick, where this is just thick bacon.  the commercial package is like 2 ounces per piece..  Or an 1/8th of a pound, i would guess you want at least 2.5 to 3 x's that.. 

This is lugers restaurat:

50228877757_88fa33f0c4_z.jpg

maybe three times or 2.5 times bigger.. .So, I would guess each slice of bacon is like 5 to 6 ounces.. 

50222319552_7780bfeb2a_z.jpg

BKEats

BKEats

Is it similar to the actual bacon served at Lugers? I was going to grill it in the BGE but maybe it’s not as thick as the bacon while dining at Lugers. 

The bacon is delicious, it's smoky and it's thick but, it's definitely not the bacon they serve there... Your best bet is to buy slab bacon and cut it yourself... I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon... Maybe ask for a 2 pound chunk.. Then you can cut  1 inch  slices, or have them do it at the butcher.  But, yeh, the lugers bacon is much closer to an inch or more thick, where this is just thick bacon.  the commercial package is like 2 ounces per piece..  Or an 1/8th of a pound, i would guess you want at least double that.. 

maybe three times or 2.5 times bigger.. .So, I would guess each slice of bacon is like 5 to 6 ounces.. 

BKEats

BKEats

The bacon is delicious, it's smoky and it's thick but, it's definitely not the bacon they serve there... Your best bet is to buy slab bacon and cut it yourself... I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon... Maybe ask for a 2 pound chunk.. Then you can cut  1 inch to 1 1/2 slices, or have them do it at the butcher.  But, yeh, the lugers bacon is much closer to an inch or more thick, where this is just thick bacon.  the commercial package is like 2 ounces per piece..  Or an 1/8th of a pound, i would guess you want at least double that.. 

BKEats

BKEats

The bacon is delicious, it's smoky and it's thick but, it's definitely not the bacon they serve there... Your best bet is to buy slab bacon and cut it yourself... I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon... Maybe ask for a 2 pound chunk.. Then you can cut  1 inch to 1 1/2 slices, or have them do it at the butcher.  But, yeh, the lugers bacon is much closer to an inch or more thick, where this is just thick bacon.  the commercial package is like 2 ounces per piece..  Or an 1/8th of a pound, i would guess you want at least double that.. 

BKEats

BKEats

The bacon is delicious, it's smoky and it's thick but, it's definitely not the bacon they serve there... Your best bet is to buy slab bacon and cut it yourself... I use to buy the schaller and weber slab bacon... Maybe ask for a 2 pound chunk.. Then you can cut  1 inch to 1 1/2 slices, or have them do it at the butcher.  But, yeh, the lugers bacon is much closer to an inch or more thick, where this is just thick bacon.