• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting pesto tips. Do you find that not mixing it in give a brighter taste?

I find that basil and olive oil both have volatile aromas, so adding them late allows the pasta to be cool slightly, which prevents overheating (I like my pasta hot, so letting it intentionally cool more than it does by plating is a no-go). Also, and perhaps more importantly, by mixing on the table, the initial aroma is released just in front of the eaters.

Same goes for margarita pizza - I add the basil and olive oil only after baking. Even in Napoli, some pizzerias cook the basil and oil (and others don't), I think that this brings forth the oil-soluble flavors of the basil and tomatoes, but still I prefer the fresh notes.

5 hours ago, TdeV said:

Define briefly. An hour?

Depends on how you pack it, it should freeze solid. An hour should suffice.

shain

shain

3 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting pesto tips. Do you find that not mixing it in give a brighter taste?

I find that basil and olive oil both have volatile aromas, so adding them late allows the pasta to be cool slightly, which prevents overheating (I like my pasta hot, so letting it intentionally cool more than it does by plating is a no-go). Also, and perhaps more importantly, by mixing on the table, the initial aroma is released just in front of the eaters.

Same goes for margarita pizza - I add the basil and olive oil only after baking. Even in Napoli, some pizzerias cook the basil and oil (and others don't), I think that this brings forth the oil-soluble flavors of the basil and tomatoes.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Define briefly. An hour?

Depends on how you pack it, it should freeze solid. An hour should suffice.