• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

So this was from the other day.. whats better than the smell of onions frying...well, you better say nothing, especially when I am frying up three whole onions (vidalia) in a kitchen with just a small charcoal filter fan in it.. 😅  The smartest thing I ever did was put a commercial hood in my house, a hood that vents directly outside.  my house is landmarked and this took an extra 6 months for approval.. So, we literally lived without a kitchen in our house for about a year when we first moved in.. When I say without a kitchen, i mean we had two induction burners, a toaster oven stacked, by fed into one outlet that would constantly blow if more than two things were being operated, a bbq grill and a smoker.. the hard part was not having a kitchen sink.. But, i digress...  The onions were from a local farm and well, it's early spring upstate considering it just snowed last week so, not a ton of products.. but, onions, are sweet and delicious.   I had smoked a few last week and they were just so good. 

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.  and when I say a little, it's either a little clove or it's too much clove. you will have the whole dish tasting like purple.. (some times i taste things in colors and clove, all i can see is purple)

49920895648_9712ca4e26_z.jpg

Tuna:

49921714127_fb6f3ae4d8_z.jpg

tuna:

salt and flour:   

49921413666_a22696586d_z.jpg

cook the tuna in a little oil... then cover with the vinegar onions... oh, i added some mint to the onions at the end.. 

i love this dish.. i love vinegar.. like, love vinegar..  this dish is best eaten, well, not best, but, i prefer, eaten cold the next day.. or not cold but, let this sit and get to room temp after cooking and eat it in a few hours.. or put in the fridge, take out, let get to room temp and eat it for lunch the next day.. which, i did and three days later may eat for lunch today. 

49921713917_7c19fb8601_z.jpg

prior to this, i made a scampi.. tons of garlic, paprika, wine, chile, i think that's it. maybe a tomato or tomato paste. 

ok, looks like i used olive oil and butter:  Ha!

49928057503_f360453360_z.jpg

added some spaghetti to the pan when it was done and married it all together.. probably added some more wine and definitely pasta water.. maybe lemon, or lemon rind. 

49932027763_3eb3bcc006_z.jpg

BKEats

BKEats

So this was from the other day.. whats better than the smell of onions frying...well, you better say nothing, especially when I am frying up three whole onions (vidalia) in a kitchen with just a small charcoal filter fan in it.. 😅  The smartest thing I ever did was put a commercial hood in my house, a hood that vents directly outside.  my house is landmarked and this took an extra 6 months for approval.. So, we literally lived without a kitchen in our house for about a year when we first moved in.. When I say without a kitchen, i mean we had two induction burners, a toaster oven stacked, by fed into one outlet that would constantly blow if more than two things were being operated, a bbq grill and a smoker.. the hard part was not having a kitchen sink.. But, i digress...  The onions were from a local farm and well, it's early spring upstate considering it just snowed last week so, not a ton of products.. but, onions, are sweet and delicious.   I had smoked a few last week and they were just so good. 

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.  and when I say a little, it's either a little clove or it's too much clove. you will have the whole dish tasting like opium 

Tuna:

tuna:

salt and flour:   

cook the tuna in a little oil... then cover with the vinegar onions... oh, i added some mint to the onions at the end.. 

i love this dish.. i love vinegar.. like, love vinegar..  this dish is best eaten, well, not best, but, i prefer, eaten cold the next day.. or not cold but, let this sit and get to room temp after cooking and eat it in a few hours.. or put in the fridge, take out, let get to room temp and eat it for lunch the next day.. which, i did and three days later may eat for lunch today. 

prior to this, i made a scampi.. tons of garlic, paprika, wine, chile, i think that's it. maybe a tomato or tomato paste. 

added some spaghetti to the pan when it was done and married it all together.. probably added some more wine and definitely pasta water.. maybe lemon, or lemon rind. 

BKEats

BKEats

So this was from the other day.. whats better than the smell of onions frying...well, you better say nothing, especially when I am frying up three whole onions (vidalia) in a kitchen with just a small charcoal filter fan in it.. 😅  The smartest thing I ever did was put a commercial hood in my house, a hood that vents directly outside.  my house is landmarked and this took an extra 6 months for approval.. So, we literally lived without a kitchen in our house for about a year when we first moved in.. When I say without a kitchen, i mean we had two induction burners, a toaster oven, a bbq grill and a smoker.. the hard part was not having a kitchen sink.. But, i digress...  The onions were from a local farm and well, it's early spring upstate considering it just snowed last week so, not a ton of products.. but, onions, are sweet and delicious.   I had smoked a few last week and they were just so good. 

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.  and when I say a little, it's either a little clove or it's too much clove. you will have the whole dish tasting like opium 

Tuna:

tuna:

salt and flour:   

BKEats

BKEats

So this was from the other day.. whats better than the smell of onions frying...well, you better say nothing, especially when I am frying up three whole onions in a kitchen with just a small charcoal filter fan in it.. 😅  The smartest thing I ever did was put a commercial hood in my house, a hood that vents directly outside.  my house is landmarked and this took an extra 6 months for approval.. So, we literally lived without a kitchen in our house for about a year when we first moved in.. When I say without a kitchen, i mean we had two induction burners, a toaster oven, a bbq grill and a smoker.. the hard part was not having a kitchen sink.. But, i digress... 

Tuna:

tuna:

salt and flour:   

BKEats

BKEats

So this was from the other day.. whats better than the smell of onions frying...well, you better say nothing, especially when I am frying up three whole onions in a kitchen with just a small charcoal filter fan in it.. 😅  The smartest thing I ever did was put a commercial hood in my house, a hood that vents directly outside.  my house is landmarked and this took an extra 6 months for approval.. So, we literally lived without a kitchen in our house for about a year when we first moved in.. When I say without a kitchen, i mean we had two induction burners, a toaster oven, a bbq grill and a smoker.. the hard part was not having a kitchen sink.. But, i digress... 

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.  and when I say a little, it's either a little clove or it's too much clove. 

Tuna:

tuna:

salt and flour:   

BKEats

BKEats

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins.  sugar and vinegar, the base of many sweet and sour or agrodolce dishes.    I have never tried it but, i bet a little clove in here would be fun.

Tuna:

tuna:

salt and flour:   

BKEats

BKEats

Onions frying, then sugar, then vinegar, i used a champagne while the sicilians use i think white wine vinegar.. i have never been to sicily but, had two cancelled trips due to unfortunate circumstances which make me not want to try a third time.. then those on the vine raisins. 

Tuna:

tuna:

salt and flour: