• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

yesterday, we had 12 people over and we had a bit of a feast... 3, 3 lb steaks that I reversed seared... Essentially, cook at 225 until the internal temp hits 90... i was impatient so like 87.. then blast on the grill to print to temp... i took the steaks off at 118.  I also grilled lobsters with a tarragon butter.  It was the first time two 11 year old girls ate lobsters and well, they lost their minds... so, that was fun... one went from not wanting to try to eating 2.. So, sorry to the dad but, happy to introduce it to them. roasted more beets for another beet salad and crispy brussel sprouts with sriracha/honey dressing.. if you have not had them this way, i will find the recipe and i  think everyone should make them.. my wife makes them. 

The steaks:

No joke:

49928041208_0295bb2c27_z.jpg

Bone in, pretty.. 

49928040153_0a0afbf190_z.jpg

Lobsters... there were a bunch.. initially i wanted 3 lbers but, the place we are could only get 2 lbs... oh well, we recovered quickly... i melted butter in a microwave then added cut up tarragon.. I butchered the lobster, split them in half, removed the claws.. poured the butter in the cavity and the tails of the lobsters... then i boiled the claws for 6 minutes... I cracked the claws in three places so people didn't have to do work.. i then poured the butter in the cracks of the claws.. 

Then I grilled the lobsters cut side down for 4 minutes and 2 minutes on the other side.. i was working with an extremely hot grill it was over 800 degrees.. like, i have no hair on right hand or arm. 

First batch goes on the grill.. I usually cut myself when dealing with lobsters.. I usually justify it as, well, that's their revenge... But, this  time was completely seamless and pretty easy with zero mess..  

49928040158_c3923cfc81_z.jpg

Finished product platter one:  claws off somewhere

49928040983_67a2fca5d9_z.jpg

so, upsetting in that, i left the meat shots to someone at the table and well, they didn't really come through... i should explain that they are older, not on instagram and have no idea what egullet is, so, i dont think they understand the importance of the money shot!  Haha, but, yeh, outside of that. i had photos and video of the cake being blown out, of the kids all laying together in one bed watching a movie, a photo of the birthday boy and some fun candid shots but, not one decent shot of the platter of 9 lbs of beef I cooked... Anyway, it was freaking delicious.

roasted beet salad with tomatoes, feta and these awesome croutons. i resmoked the beats early in the day... 

49928040193_9c31da7217_z.jpg

and while the grill was on, i made pizza:

it was from a 72 hour pizza dough that I mistreated.. the fermentation flavor was there, i just don't think i put in enough yeast: or something prevented it from rising.. but, i made like 4 pizzas

49928878452_533cab5650_z.jpg

so steak, perfect.. internal temp 117 off the grill 

my shot

49928013868_b641e6acf5_z.jpg

this is a three pound piece of meat mind you... There is there one an only shot.. 

49930025017_bd325ae08c_z.jpg

And then this is someone else's photo:  Anyway, it was on that huge plates, three steaks sliced, salted, bones arranged.. it was freaking beautiful...  Don't worry, i have recovered and the birthday boy was shielded from the offense as to not have tarnished the event 🤣  We we just have to wait until he turns 81 to give it another try.

49928040698_bb1f2c400a_z.jpg

cheese and pate before,   key lime pie and homemade whipped cream to finish.  Now, i go for run.

BKEats

BKEats

yesterday, we had 12 people over and we had a bit of a feast... 3, 3 lb steaks that I reversed seared... Essentially, cook at 225 until the internal temp hits 90... i was impatient so like 87.. then blast on the grill to print to temp... i took the steaks off at 118.  I also grilled lobsters with a tarragon butter.  It was the first time two 11 year old girls ate lobsters and well, they lost their minds... so, that was fun... one went from not wanting to try to eating 2.. So, sorry to the dad but, happy to introduce it to them. roasted more beets for another beet salad and crispy brussel sprouts with sriracha/honey dressing.. if you have not had them this way, i will find the recipe and i  think everyone should make them.. my wife makes them. 

The steaks:

No joke:

Bone in, pretty.. 

Lobsters... there were a bunch.. initially i wanted 3 lbers but, the place we are could only get 2 lbs... oh well, we recovered quickly... i melted butter in a microwave then added cut up tarragon.. I butchered the lobster, split them in half, removed the claws.. poured the butter in the cavity and the tails of the lobsters... then i boiled the claws for 6 minutes... I cracked the claws in three places so people didn't have to do work.. i then poured the butter in the cracks of the claws.. 

Then I grilled the lobsters cut side down for 4 minutes and 2 minutes on the other side.. i was working with an extremely hot grill it was over 800 degrees.. like, i have no hair on right hand or arm. 

First batch goes on the grill.. I usually cut myself when dealing with lobsters.. I usually justify it as, well, that's their revenge... But, this  time was completely seamless and pretty easy with zero mess..  

so, upsetting in that, i left the meat shots to someone at the table and well, they didn't really come through... i should explain that they are older, not on instagram and have no idea what egullet is, so, i dont think they understand the importance of the money shot!  Haha, but, yeh, outside of that. i had photos and video of the cake being blown out, of the kids all laying together in one bed watching a movie, a photo of the birthday boy and some fun candid shots but, not one decent shot of the platter of 9 lbs of beef I cooked... Anyway, it was freaking delicious.

roasted beet salad with tomatoes, feta and these awesome croutons. i resmoked the beats early in the day... 

it was from a 72 hour pizza dough that I mistreated.. the fermentation flavor was there, i just don't think i put in enough yeast: or something prevented it from rising.. but, i made like 4 pizzas

my shot

this is a three pound piece of meat mind you... There is there one an only shot.. 

And then this is someone else's photo:  Anyway, it was on that huge plates, three steaks sliced, salted, bones arranged.. it was freaking beautiful...  Don't worry, i have recovered and the birthday boy was shielded from the offense as to not have tarnished the event 🤣  We we just have to wait until he turns 81 to give it another try.

BKEats

BKEats

The steaks:

No joke:

Bone in, pretty.. 

Then I grilled the lobsters cut side down for 4 minutes and 2 minutes on the other side.. i was working with an extremely hot grill.. like, i have no hair on right hand or arm. 

my shot