• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, shain said:

Sesame noodles for us as well.

I didn't make noodles from scratch this time, but rather added the baked baking soda to the boiling water of plain old spaghetti. From my experience, both methods are quite effective, but the fresh noodles are bouncier. Also, if the soda is in the water, it can't be added to the dish (it's an italian technique, but I often utilize it to asian noodles), Sesame noodles obviously require no extra thickening, so no problem here.

Good info. I have never done alkaline noodles myself and will give this a go as my entry point. I can buy them easily but the Pandemic is limiting shopping.

heidih

heidih

58 minutes ago, shain said:

Sesame noodles for us as well.

I didn't make noodles from scratch this time, but rather added the baked baking soda to the boiling water of plain old spaghetti. From my experience, both methods are quite effective, but the fresh noodles are bouncier. Also, if the soda is in the water, it can't be added to the dish (it's an italian technique, but I often utilize it to asian noodles), Sesame noodles obviously require no extra thickening, so no problem here.

Good info. I have never done alkaline noodles myself and will give this a go as my entry point. I can buy the, masily but the Pandemic is limiting shopping.