• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

@Kim Shook Thanks!

Cippolini- cut off ends but don't peel (yet) boil x 5 min or so (longer for bigger ones, I don't think you can go wrong boiling longer, but shorter results in less glaze absorption). Let cool, peel off ugly stuff. Lay butt side down in the smallest baking dish that will hold them (Big ramekin?) salt and put in enough saba + red wine 50:50 to be a couple mm deep. Bake at 375 x ~20-30 min. Flip over midway. keep an eye on them that they don't over cook

Sprouts- halve and blanch for 5 min or so, then fry in a skim of oil face down till nicely browned. Toss in a bit of Saba or reduced balsamic. Saba has the advantage of being right there in a bottle

Pork loin butterflied with two cuts so its a big flat piece of meat . Salt it. ( Cut the top third nearly to the end, then cut the bottom 2/3 in the middle almost to the end).

Take a handful of frozen spinach and squeeze the water out of it. Mix with sauteed garlic 3/4 tsp and finely chopped rosemary 3/4 tsp. Don't overdo the garlic. This is pretty garlicky as it is. Spread the green stuff over the pork, roll and tie. SV x 3 hours at 140F.  I've done it with pureed chopped roasted peppers in place of the spinach, that adds a nice bit of flavor. and you can serve it with a romesco sauce to match.

(This time I used transglutaminase to glue the thing, but it's not needed. I don't usually use it. It does make slicing intact easier).

The sauce was more than gourmet chicken demi + a 1/2 tsp dijon in 50:50 apple juice /water. (maybe a half cup total) Simmered, salted and thickened by whisking in a couple pats of butter.

gfweb

gfweb

@Kim Shook Thanks!

Cippolini- cut off ends but don't peel (yet) boil x 5 min or so (longer for bigger ones, I don't think you can go wrong boiling longer, but shorter results in less glaze absorption). Let cool, peel off ugly stuff. Lay butt side down in the smallest baking dish that will hold them (Big ramekin?) salt and put in enough saba + red wine 50:50 to be a couple mm deep. Bake at 375 x ~20-30 min. Flip over midway. keep an eye on them that they don't over cook

Sprouts- halve and blanch for 5 min or so, then fry in a skim of oil face down till nicely browned. Toss in a bit of Saba or reduced balsamic. Saba has the advantage of being right there in a bottle

Pork loin butterflied with two cuts so its a big flat piece of meat . Salt it. ( Cut the top third nearly to the end, then cut the bottom 2/3 in the middle almost to the end).

Take a handful of frozen spinach and squeeze the water out of it. Mix with sauteed garlic 3/4 tsp and finely chopped rosemary 3/4 tsp. Don't overdo the garlic. This is pretty garlicky as it is. Spread the green stuff over the pork, roll and tie. SV x 3 hours at 140F.  I've done it with pureed roasted peppers in place of the spinach, that adds a nice bit of flavor. and you can serve it with a romesco sauce to match.

(This time I used transglutaminase to glue the thing, but it's not needed. I don't usually use it. It does make slicing intact easier).

The sauce was more than gourmet chicken demi + a 1/2 tsp dijon in 50:50 apple juice /water. (maybe a half cup total) Simmered, salted and thickened by whisking in a couple pats of butter.