• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

37 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Mitch, all those dishes look lovely. Sigh. How do you get the duck fat so clear? Or is it broth?

Thank you!

It is indeed duck fat, and I didn't really do anything special to it - just spooned it out of the roasting dish without picking up any of the detritus, after I put the duck legs on a rack over a little roasting pan to crisp them up.

If I had  truly confited the duck, I'd even be keeping all the weird stuff that ends up at the bottom of the pot, but in this case, it was not worth it. 

weinoo

weinoo

34 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Mitch, all those dishes look lovely. Sigh. How do you get the duck fat so clear? Or is it broth?

Thank you!

It is indeed duck fat, and I didn't really do anything special to it - just spooned it out of the roasting dish without picking up any of the detritus, after

I put the duck legs on a rack over a little roasting pan to crisp them up.

If I had  truly confited the duck, I'd even be keeping all the weird stuff that ends up at the bottom of the pot, but in this case, it was not worth it.