• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BKEats

BKEats

I marinated skirt steak,.. I have a default one, or one that I use often as Alicia requests it. But it's lime juice, fish sauce, soy, brown sugar, garlic, oil, cilantro and I think that's it.  Oh jalapenos.   But, the quar has supplies all over the place.. I have been doing a pretty good job actually.. I haven't thrown anything out, nothing has gone rotten on me and well, my diet has been varied and rather delicious. 

Anyway, so I gathered my supplies to get started..  Brown, Fish Sauce, Soy all worked out.. Garlic, we are out. Cilantro, nope, lime, well, there is like a half a lime and some weird lime juice my daughter brought home from college that I am not messing with..   So, i added what lime I could, I added all the other ingredients and then I added Bull Head BBQ Sauce.  It's my secret for good dumpling sauce.. it's that tin can with the red top... The main ingredient is brill fish.. But there is a lot of umami and there is some spice and well, let's do it.. I did it.  

I had made a dal the previous night.. It came out so well.. I fried tomatoes and onions with spices and added the lentil that I boiled for 10 minutes before straining and tossing into my onion tomato mixture.. I had gotten some fun spice packets from Kaluystan's about a month ago, so, everything was bright.. 

49766586051_81a8e797b6_z.jpg

Let me see if i remember.. Mustard, cumin even though the garam had it, garam masala, west indian curry powder, then chopped ginger, garlic and onion. 

I had rice leftover that I just crisped in a single layer in a pan for like 15 minutes. 

49771590046_4422afd90b_z.jpg

3.5 minutes per side.. that seems to be my default.. 

49771054673_2128d50541_z.jpg

I think i nailed it:

49771589656_7a4f918322_z.jpg

That was from the other piece:

49771588751_75c69ff9f7_z.jpg

I marinaded the meat this morning. Right before dinner, I get a beer and lime delivery...So, i was able to make lime onions and also serve lime with the steak... The addition of the bull head bbq was intense.  Where the thai marinade I am use to is a lot more lime, a lot of garlic, there is  also the spice from the jalapeno.. This was just dark and rich and sugary and that fish umami.. It was so damn good.. And the hit of lime was just perfect..  So yeh, new marinade.   Also, dal and steak, a wonderful combination. 

49771913982_f9beee148f_z.jpg

BKEats

BKEats

I marinated skirt steak,.. I have a default one, or one that I use often as Alicia requests it. But it's lime juice, fish sauce, soy, brown sugar, garlic, oil, cilantro and I think that's it.  Oh jalapenos.   But, the quar has supplies all over the place.. I have been doing a pretty good job actually.. I haven't thrown anything out, nothing has gone rotten on me and well, my diet has been varied and rather delicious. 

Anyway, so I gathered my supplies to get started..  Brown, Fish Sauce, Soy all worked out.. Garlic, we are out. Cilantro, nope, lime, well, there is like a half a lime and some weird lime juice my daughter brought home from college that I am not messing with..   So, i added what lime I could, I added all the other ingredients and then I added Bull Head BBQ Sauce.  It's my secret for good dumpling sauce.. it's that tin can with the red top... The main ingredient is brill fish.. But there is a lot of umami and there is some spice and well, let's do it.. I did it.  

I had made a dal the previous night.. It came out so well.. I fried tomatoes and onions with spices and added the lentil that I boiled for 10 minutes before straining and tossing into my onion tomato mixture.. I had gotten some fun spice packets from Kaluystan's about a month ago, so, everything was bright.. 

49766586051_81a8e797b6_z.jpg

Let me see if i remember.. Mustard, cumin even though the garam had it, garam masala, west indian curry powder, then chopped ginger, garlic and onion. 

I had rice leftover that I just crisped in a single layer in a pan for like 15 minutes. 

I think i nailed it:

I marinaded the meat this morning. Right before dinner, I get a beer and lime delivery...So, i was able to make lime onions and also serve lime with the steak... The addition of the bull head bbq was intense.  Where the thai marinade I am use to is a lot more lime, a lot of garlic, there is  also the spice from the jalapeno.. This was just dark and rich and sugary and that fish umami.. It was so damn good.. And the hit of lime was just perfect..  So yeh, new marinade. 

BKEats

BKEats

Let me see if i remember.. Mustard, cumin, garam masala, west indian curry powder, 

I think i nailed it:

I marinaded the meat this morning. Right before dinner, I get a beer and lime delivery...So, i was able to make lime onions and also serve lime with the steak... The addition of the bull head bbq was intense.  Where the thai marinade I am use to is a lot more lime, a lot of garlic, there is  also the spice from the jalapeno.. This was just dark and rich and sugary and that fish umami.. It was so damn good.. And the hit of lime was just perfect..  So yeh, new marinade.