• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Speaking about fresh seafood - I am curious...

I am headed to the seafood market today as we need fish (and I want to freeze some)!

I am contemplating buying a large amount of live clams - I would like to preserve them - the question is...

- Do I freeze them on a sheet tray alive - in shell, and use in future dishes from frozen?

or

- Do I quickly cook them in a bit of butter/garlic and then place in jars, top with olive oil and freeze?

Which would offer the best result (not looking for long term storage, just the best tasting product from frozen)?

i have successfully frozen clams.  I steam them open, shuck, and cover them in the cooking liquid then freeze.  They are goo for things like clam pizza, linguini and clams etc.

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

2 hours ago, TicTac said:

Speaking about fresh seafood - I am curious...

I am headed to the seafood market today as we need fish (and I want to freeze some)!

I am contemplating buying a large amount of live clams - I would like to preserve them - the question is...

- Do I freeze them on a sheet tray alive - in shell, and use in future dishes from frozen?

or

- Do I quickly cook them in a bit of butter/garlic and then place in jars, top with olive oil and freeze?

Which would offer the best result (not looking for long term storage, just the best tasting product from frozen)?

i have successfully frozen clams.  I steam them open, shuck, and cover them in the cooking liquid.  They are goo for things like clam pizza, linguini and clams etc.