• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

23 minutes ago, scamhi said:

yesterday's lunch eaten at my desk.

You are definitely eating a rainbow. It looks delicious not to mention healthy!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

96344D0B-32B0-4C0E-B93C-8F0892EE4E3F.thumb.jpeg.5210ef9518159761dcf5980ad493f170.jpeg

Rotisserie chicken on toasted rye with kewpie mayonnaise and some gherkins on the side. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Margaret Pilgrim 

You betcha !

many times , if not all times

Left over Dinner

makes a fine soup 

w a tasty stock.

Im pleased to see you also have a Crunchy Piece of Bread.

Soooo excellent.

Im sending you 2 Kudos.

dose not work so well when the Temps go way up.

and cold Animal + Animal fat soups dont do that well then either

Enter the Freezer , in your basement.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday I hosted some friends for an afternoon card party.

i made a gorgeous layered salad made with iceberg lettuce, English cucumber, radish, red onion, beets, red pepper, green peas, mayo and cheddar.  It was beautiful as were my sourdough rolls that I served alongside,

Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of it all.

My friends enjoyed it very much.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

One of the Staffordshire oatcake toppings in The Modern Cook's Year is mustard, capers & rocket.

DF79D709-3D10-4623-84FE-A67910BB3BFF_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d90ac71355e751c8e71648510e2d870c.jpeg

Whole grain mustard gets mixed with crème fraîche and cheddar cheese before being spread on the oatcakes. I had no arugula on hand so I used radish tops. I have never fried capers before and they spattered all over my stove. I'm not sure that step was worth the clean up. I left the oatcake in the toaster oven a little too long so it wasn't as soft as the others but it still worked fine and I like the crispy edges.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

making scalloped potatoes with pimento and a green salad with cucumbers, yellow grape tomatoes, red onion and some of that Momokuko ranch I just made with some clabbered buttermilk I made.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Hot dog lunch:

DSCN0693.JPG.8ab909d67cf523612189f1dffe33c2a9.JPG

kraut and mustard, Utz Special extra dark pretzels.  Some really good pears we’ve been getting:

DSCN0694.JPG.01a4f37a15bfc6243581aa41f26f33be.JPG

Sunday!  Considered “little Easter”!  We gave up eating at restaurants for Lent, but we can eat at restaurants on Sunday.  Mr. Kim was being driven insane by the Arby’s commercials, so we went and got fish sandwiches:

IMG_1505.jpg.815bc4542fac70e74cecc5116f1fb032.jpg

Very good.  MUCH better than McD’s (and I actually quite like the McD sandwich).  On the rare days when we are in the mood for a fast food fish sandwich, we’ll most likely end up at Arby’s. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

On 3/8/2020 at 8:39 PM, Kim Shook said:

Hot dog lunch:

DSCN0693.JPG.8ab909d67cf523612189f1dffe33c2a9.JPG

kraut and mustard, Utz Special extra dark pretzels.  Some really good pears we’ve been getting:

DSCN0694.JPG.01a4f37a15bfc6243581aa41f26f33be.JPG

Sunday!  Considered “little Easter”!  We gave up eating at restaurants for Lent, but we can eat at restaurants on Sunday.  Mr. Kim was being driven insane by the Arby’s commercials, so we went and got fish sandwiches:

IMG_1505.jpg.815bc4542fac70e74cecc5116f1fb032.jpg

Very good.  MUCH better than McD’s (and I actually quite like the McD sandwich).  On the rare days when we are in the mood for a fast food fish sandwich, we’ll most likely end up at Arby’s. 

I quite agree.  

FWIW, hunger struck early on our ride up here yesterday so we stopped at a heretofore untried Carl's Jr. and risked a Beyond Burger.     Ordered one combo, and clerk asked if we wanted it cut in half.   Sure.    And register receipt showed that request so it is apparently not uncommon and now programmed into the system.    This one was fresh, properly cooked and excellent. 

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

We were out travelling over lunch and decided to stop at an A & W which was beside an IGA we needed to go to.  We don't eat fast food.....last time was maybe 10 years ago.  But I had a hankering for onion rings.  We both had the chubby chicken burger, two small fries, one onion ring and a milk.  It was very good.  Hot and nicely cooked.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  But, $27 for fast food in the car?  That shocked me.

• Like 1

No kidding. My kids didn't acquire a taste for fast food because I just plain couldn't afford to give it to them often.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

$27 for fast food in the car?  That shocked me.

We do fast food, including taco trucks, at least once a month en route to the country.    And I'm with you!    Our bill at Carl's Jr. yesterday was just over $10.   It was just over $12 at a  taco truck last trip.   

$27 and you will be able to hear me yelp in BC, CA!  You have to remember that I can remember when McDo was born and hamburgers were 19cents.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

A typical burger combo up here in will generally run in the $7-$10 range, depending on the chain. They can be less, of course, especially with LTOs.

Still, if you allow for taxes and any extras, $10-$12 per person is a good rule of thumb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning