• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

36 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Salmon with pan fried broccoli 

Nice job on the skin.  Wondering how tender the broccoli gets as the color is quite green tough I see lovely char spots.. 

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice job on the skin.  Wondering how tender the broccoli gets as the color is quite green tough I see lovely char spots.. 

Thank you.  Skin was indeed very crisp.  I cook salmon on skin side the entire time and cover the pan with lid for the last couple of minutes so the top will finish cooking.  Broccoli had some snap to it but was tender enough.  I cut florets into rather small pieces.

Chana gajar chaat. Chickpeas and cooked carrots in yogurt sauce. Flavored with homemade tamarind-dates-ginger chutney, chaat masala, amchor, toasted fennel seeds. Topped with tomatoes, onion, mint, cilantro, pomegranate, peanuts, sev, puffed rice.

PXL_20201004_130920079.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

A local Canadian expat sells his own smoked salmon.  It is quite luscious!  

This is my go-to use for it.  Quesadillas with local goat cheese and caramalized onions, yellow pepper, poblanos.  Not shown is the Big Squeeze of straight chipotle and handful of chopped cilantro.  

I grill them until the cheese gets very smoooshy.  Mmmmm.

smkdsal.jpg

beforefold.jpg

salq.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

@heidih  I hear you!  I am usually in the category of, fish+cheese = no thanks.  But at a restaurant we were served a pasta dish with smoked salmon and goat cheese...liked it so much I usurped much of the dish into the quesadilla recipe.  

When I get smoked salmon I buy enough for 2 meals; the q's shown above; and also a cold plate that I serve with a olives, pickled onions, chutney, apple or pear slices, deviled eggs, good bread, mustard, horseradish, etc.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gulfporter said:

@heidih  I hear you!  I am usually in the category of, fish+cheese = no thanks.  But at a restaurant we were served a pasta dish with smoked salmon and goat cheese...liked it so much I usurped much of the dish into the quesadilla recipe.  

It is hot, I am sluggish. Later I remembered Jonathan Gold's review of our beloved Mariscos Chente (Coni's) where he describes with enthusiasm: But you can't leave without at least a taste of the tacos stuffed with smoked marlin and cheese  A palate we trusted.

Edited by heidih (log)

15 hours ago, heidih said:

It is hot, I am sluggish. Later I remembered Jonathan Gold's review of our beloved Mariscos Chente (Coni's) where he describes with enthusiasm: But you can't leave without at least a taste of the tacos stuffed with smoked marlin and cheese  A palate we trusted.

There are a few places in San Luis, Mexico that marlin tacos with cheese are a specialty. Very nice.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@BeeZee – I have to say that, considering the pizza desert I live in, that greasy office pizza looks really good. 

@gulfporter – that salmon looks incredible.  Does he hot-smoke or cold-smoke it?  I love the thick chunks. 

Lunch today:  

IMG_3790.jpg.3e6e50f396236aaf36baea1e9d70f7bb.jpg

Just ham and cheese on multi-grain toast with tortilla chips and my favorite Chi-Chi’s mild Salsa (not pictured). 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@BeeZee – I have to say that, considering the pizza desert I live in, that greasy office pizza looks really good. 

@gulfporter – that salmon looks incredible.  Does he hot-smoke or cold-smoke it?  I love the thick chunks. 

Hot smoked salmon.  And very smoky with a complex rub, on the sweet side.  Personally I can't stand the mouth-feel of cold smoked, ala lox.  

• Thanks 1

In addition to all the other stuffed cooked yesterday (see dinner and pandemic threads), I had to make lunch.

592146892_Pastawithgreenbeansandtomatoes10-16.thumb.jpeg.9c6308e668471f0854fb312c1ded219e.jpeg

Casarecce with onions, garlic, green beans, heirloom cherry tomatoes, Parmesan. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 10/11/2020 at 1:26 PM, heidih said:

I blanch then roast broccoli till browned.  Tender but not mushy

Veggies and dips for a late lunch yesterday

87AF0685-8A51-44F5-BD35-9C9C2623B957_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7ab8ae4958aa739db1b06461b21bd8af.jpeg

Bottom left is a spicy chickpea dip and upper right is lima bean and basil dip, both from Indian-ish, with chapatti chips from Made in India.

First time trying them and I thought both dips were quite good.  The cilantro, lime juice and hot fresh chile in the chickpea dip makes it distinct from hummus.  I used holy basil in the lima bean dip, which went well with the generous amount of fresh ground black pepper and gave the dip a unique flavor that I enjoyed.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Fig season is ending, the kakis are arriving.

yFUuUkp.jpg

Pig's liver and mushrooms in cream. Paprika-garlic butter sauce.

jS5mGte.jpg

hHRve4f.jpg

On 10/11/2020 at 6:00 PM, heidih said:

I like the folding style on your dumplings. My hands are not so nimble anymore so looks simpler than pleating, yet appealing. The fig/cheese combo  :)

Thanks. I copied Turkish-style manti (which is not completely closed at the tip and is filled with lamb mince). You'll get a hang of it after about 5. Bring opposite corners together, press and seal. (Wet wrappers with water first.)

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I had half a swordfish steak left over...

2033592266_Swordfishsalad10-17.jpeg.c4d76bb903ed845ba61b0e12264433bd.jpeg

So I made a swordfish in the style of lobster salad salad. And served it on a Martin's roll - well, half of one for each of us. The rest alongside more salad, with bits of leftover potatoes and eggplant. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A late lunch/early dinner plate assembled from the Indian-ish buffet in my fridge:

IMG_3186.jpeg.a592612f0afe009c971f89be1d97b795.jpeg

Clockwise from the papad at 1 o'clock:  Chile peanut rice (made with cashews), Priya's dal, Tamarind, fig and cumin chutney, Cucumber raita, Cilantro chutney, Lauki sabzi (bottle gourd), all from Indian-ish and, in the center,  Lime-pickled onions from Made in India

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin Really enjoying your Indianish dishes. Her dal seems more solid than I am used to. Sure you heard her talk with Ed Levine ( series I fear is gone) but i'll post the link for those who might be interested  https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/priya-krishna-on-special-sauce-how-indian-ish-came-to-be-1-2/id1054509922?i=1000440177600 

• Like 1

Working lunch today.

1890506015_20201020_1154021.thumb.jpg.3b990be0b9391c41ce8fc571058c39a7.jpg

There was also some lumpy stuff.  I had a burger patty left over from last night, so yet another burger. No picture. I was in a rush to get back to my work. I mean Guinness.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Another mostly Indian-ish plate for me today:

IMG_3190.jpeg.9cb2fe172e645ed486b934bf48e124f6.jpeg

From 12 o'clock:  Black cardamom rice from Mowgli Street Food, Priya's dal, Basic kachumber, Squash raita, Cilantro chutney, Red chile potatoes, Brussels sprouts & leeks from Modern Spice and Lime-pickled onions from Made in India

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1