• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Lunch 2020

Just now, Smithy said:

Thanks, @kayb. I usually get the fisheye if I try to work squash into our diet, but I may try to sneak some in via this method. ;) 

I really think he would like it.  I've used sour cream, Laughing Cow cheese or shredded sharp cheddar.  All are very good.  I have been known to eat it cold for breakfast the next morning.  But, I'm kinda weird.

• Like 1

I suspect it would be good with zucchini, too. I plan on trying it with eggplant this week when mine get big enough.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I found a small cured pork belly in the freezer and decided to roast it low & slow ...

C7BB00DD-A985-4F07-B83F-88E6CB5A5FD4.thumb.jpeg.c112583e44a7d69a09420f076d63e707.jpeg

And, in order to fit it into the tiny glass form, I had to trim it generously and made steam-fried dumplings with the leftovers and cabbage ...

202456AD-E053-4626-BEED-5E50BC4CE440.thumb.jpeg.a49a70a6c95f40a69d44e26e2baebc1e.jpeg

C0FA416C-5EA6-40B2-B925-6F3D242769FE.thumb.jpeg.efa42cd0c05079ff692f90e4b5fc08f8.jpeg

At the end, I will have to eat the full pork belly by myself, as my family went exclusively for the dumplings 😉

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

@Duvel  Lovely crackle. Nice use of trim. I'd probably take the dumplings like your family and snag some of the crisp skin as well. 

• Thanks 1

Not my usual sort of lunch, but was too busy to cook.

Grana Padano cheese, industrial ham, cornichons (pickled with coriander and onion). tomato, sea salt and black pepper. There was also bread and butter. The plate was reloaded after I ate this lot.

20200702_131014.thumb.jpg.45700c97a63c604221421542bb9196c6.jpg

• Like 5

30671041_Tamales06-30.jpeg.11941237e34f49fbd49c1c4c0ee97ffb.jpeg

Our first takeout in 3 1/2 months. I was on an early lower east side walk a few days ago, and happened by Factory Tamal on Ludlow Street. No one in there, the whole counter area sheeted with plastic, so I popped in and bought 4 just-made tamales. Along with some Rancho Gordo home cooked beans and a salad, a nice lunch was had.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@robirdstx 

Wow   Im so jealous

MLS's are on the Pantheon of

Best Sandwiches Ever !

the Triple Crown of Sandwiches is of course :

( in no particular order , you get the arrange the 3 to your liking .  or have all three at the same time )

Bread in these Sandwiches is very critical .  good crumb , massive Br aroma etc :

the BLT  , w mayo of your choice .  no Miracle Whip too sweet

Turkey Club   or Turkey Sand. , leave out the extra bread

MeatLoaf Sandwich however you like it .    Lettuce , good tomato , mayo never hurt this sandwich 

of course , you might consider the Roast Beef Sandwich 

as above for bread , lettuce , mayo , tomato

but , Three is always more interning than 4

that's been well understood for Eons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Olive studded sourdough from the freezer (toasted up nicely) open face tuna (pouch) with a drizzle of balsamic glaze...nice offset to the salty. I'm not a fan of mayo.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

@robirdstx– I’ve had meat loaf on the menu list for weeks now.  I believe that sandwich just pushed it up front! 

@rotuts – I agree with your Triumvirate of Sandwiches, though I would add ham to the club (just isn’t a club down here in the south without TWO kinds of pig).  And if you are going to make it four, that roast beef has gotta have horseradish! 😁

Lunch:

IMG_2687.thumb.jpg.2a9e365aa66ef86ffc63b640449059e9.jpg

Fried egg on frozen hash brown patties.  That egg was gorgeous coming out of the pan.  It was @Ashen's method of doing what looks like a sunny side up egg, but without the snot.  You separate the egg, cook and flip the white and then set the yolk on top of the white and cover for a minute.  The white is completely done and the yolk warm, but very runny (as you can see).  But my yolk didn’t adhere to the white properly and slid right off and broke when I tried to set the egg on top of the patty. 😠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pressed grilled cheese with cheddar, chives, dill, garlic. Omelette with smoked paprika and chives. Eastern European style pickles (with dill flowers, garlic and mustard). Sour cream and Dijon for dipping.

IMG_20200624_222155.jpg

• Like 3

~ Shai N.