• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

A take on what I call pita margarita: fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, olive oil, and the addition is roasted eggplant slices.

Wrap in a dump towel and microwave briefly (MW is the best tool to heat soft breads).

For this to work you need a really good pita breads, we buy those only every once in a while, because if we have them on end we will end up eating them all in a heart beat, often with just some olive oil and salt; tomato and oil; or tahini sauce.

PXL_20201207_144521943.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

3 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Bread looks good to me, @Kim Shook. So do the Funyuns.

In this house, the only possible choice for turkey sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, and grilled cheese is white bread.  For the first two, it must be fluffy white bread (milk bread is perfect), for the last is can be more of a rustic loaf.  😊

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Spaghetti with ground bison and dried porcini sauce.  Kinda sorta like a Bolognese... kinda.

I think the term just refer to in the style of Bologna and bison I like as a flavorful meat choice. What was your tomato inclusion? The dried porcini well "come to mama" - thanks.

• Like 1

Picked up lunch from a local sandwich shop.  Mr. Kim got a double cheeseburger with bacon:

IMG_4580.jpg.417aa28c6fa9b1c64fa793eca9038256.jpg

I got the Italian sub with ham, salami, and provolone:

IMG_4581.jpg.966ebe2ba193dd9d39fc98cb8bf08f8f.jpg

We shared onion rings and their fantastic fries:

IMG_4582.jpg.815762910bfce1e5252c83513432786d.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg.d738fcf41b18e54e367755aefdcd3ef3.jpg

I’m not a huge fan of batter dipped onion rings – I prefer crumb coated, but these are pretty good.  Those fries, though.  Maybe the very best in Richmond. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

I think the term just refer to in the style of Bologna and bison I like as a flavorful meat choice. What was your tomato inclusion? The dried porcini well "come to mama" - thanks.

This was a relative express Bolognese - tomato was in 2 forms -a little paste and then some Rao's marinara sauce...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KennethT said:

This was a relative express Bolognese - tomato was in 2 forms -a little paste and then some Rao's marinara sauce...

I find tomato paste to be under appreciated. I love the stories of the tomatoes worked and sun dried in Italy.  Even the cheap little generic can from the grocery store can elevate fresh or canned tomatoes remarkably.  https://www.elizabethminchilli.com/2017/02/making-tomato-paste-sicily/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heidih said:

I find tomato paste to be under appreciated. I love the stories of the tomatoes worked and sun dried in Italy.  Even the cheap little generic can from the grocery store can elevate fresh or canned tomatoes remarkably.  https://www.elizabethminchilli.com/2017/02/making-tomato-paste-sicily/

I've always been ambivalent about it, because - at least for the dozen or so brands I've tried over the years - I find it always has a strong and distinctive metallic taste, unless it is carefully caramelized before I use it. Everyone's palate is different, of course.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I've always been ambivalent about it, because - at least for the dozen or so brands I've tried over the years - I find it always has a strong and distinctive metallic taste, unless it is carefully caramelized before I use it. Everyone's palate is different, of course.

I agree - I always "toast" the tomato paste.  Usually I'll saute the onions/garlic, then bank them around the sides of the pan while I toast the paste in the middle of the pan in a little oil.  Once it's most of the way there, I'll mix it all together and let it go a little longer till the paste is done, then start incorporating liquids.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I agree - I always "toast" the tomato paste.  Usually I'll saute the onions/garlic, then bank them around the sides of the pan while I toast the paste in the middle of the pan in a little oil.  Once it's most of the way there, I'll mix it all together and let it go a little longer till the paste is done, then start incorporating liquids.

Yes that is how I was taught.

• Like 1

My wife loves Mexican food  - but nothing very spicy....  so I made this for her, red chile chicken tacos.  Chicken was cooked in a sauce made from rehydrated ancho chiles, plus 1 or 2 dried chipotle (not in adobo) defanged, some fire roasted tomato, sweated onion/garlic, mexican oregano, cumin and chicken stock.  Added bonus - I have enough sauce leftover for at least one more meal!

IMG_20201231_132830.thumb.jpg.f9a078daac171dfbbe418ec672254f0c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1