• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

With leftover Chicken and Rice from supper 2 nights ago, I made Congee / jook / rice porridge. Love it with preserved egg, pork floss, fuyu, cilantro, and crueller.

1532247657_ChickenCongee2861.jpg.f56c3ff74ccb5a49351d239f39b83d26.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Office "Holiday Lunch" - COVID style. Box lunches eaten in everyone's own office. I had chicken salad on a brioche roll, it was good (white meat chicken, not too much mayo). Came with cut up melon, homemade potato chips, brownie, and pasta salad ("bruschetta style" - and the pasta was cooked properly). Too much food, I'll be taking half of it home.

box lunch.jpg

• Like 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

We took a Day Trip today to the Brazoria NWR and then drove down to the Gulf Coast and took the Blue Hwy. to Galveston Island for a late lunch at Nate’s West End.

A2A084C6-D795-4A1E-A13C-1DDB82ABC654.thumb.jpeg.f8c17e0a16988853625d5142443e3e77.jpeg

We satisfied our cravings! He had a Burger and I had the Shrimp Poboy.

FB2D3F08-828C-4832-B8D2-C06EAD98A279.thumb.jpeg.4b6d6c5c37c5901abe2ffde770fa3f19.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Found lovely fresh watercress at one of the grocery stores yesterday, and huge persimmons! They need some time to ripen but I do have a couple in a brown paper bag with bananas.

Toasted sandwich with Thai Sesame and Ginger mayo (Hellman's) - love the bite of the cress.

1906122570_TomatoCressSandwich2876.jpg.6446b867ba4be04fd59090c7f5fb3095.jpg

289377726_Persimmons2866.jpg.7befb4c7e3b257e324ffd46d1759e219.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

27 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I think I should have left out the fenugreek. I didn't use much but it was still overpowering.

Which did you use? seeds? fresh? Or methi - dried leaves. I love methi. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

seeds that I toasted, then added to my masala mix and ground.

Thanks I think that explains things. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, scamhi said:

spicy garlic noodles. 10 minute great recipe.

recipe here

Interesting that the recipe stresses cooking the noodles in salted water. Not something usually done to an oriental noodle is my understanding. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Interesting that the recipe stresses cooking the noodles in salted water. Not something usually done to an oriental noodle is my understanding. 

I didn't cook in salted water but my "gourmet master shanxi fresh noodles" were made without salt. The noodle sauce was salty enough.

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I, too, was of the understanding that Asian noodles were not cooked in salted water.  With that being said, whenever I make noodle soups using the fresh Shanxi knife peeled noodles, I cook them in salted water so that I don't have to oversalt the soup to compensate... If I don't, the soup will taste great when tasted before adding to the noodles, but soon after, it will taste flat.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, scamhi said:

I didn't cook in salted water but my "gourmet master shanxi fresh noodles" were made without salt. The noodle sauce was salty enough.

And that is the way that I have always understood the reason why oriental noodles are cooked in unsalted water. I wonder if @liuzhoucan cast any light on this at least from the point of view of Chinese cuisine. 

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

And that is the way that I have always understood the reason why oriental noodles are cooked in unsalted water. I wonder if @liuzhoucan cast any light on this at least from the point of view of Chinese cuisine. 

Indeed. Noodles and rice are normally cooked without salt. The are intended to be a neutral background to the sauces or other dishes served.

When I first came to China, one of my Chinese friends was horrified to see me salt the rice water. I've never done that since.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Indeed. Noodles and rice are normally cooked without salt. The are intended to be a neutral background to the sauces or other dishes served.

When I first cam to China, one of my Chinese friends was horrified to see me salt the rice water. I've never done that since.

Udon especially seems to contain plenty of salt, same with with most Asian noodles, fresh or dried, at least to my tastebuds. When I buy fresh wheat noodles in Chinatown, whether egg or plain, they don't need salt either. But I definitely salt the water for Italian pasta. The first time I ever cooked dried udon I think I salted it; lesson learned. Look at the ingredients list and the salt level can be frightening.

8 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Udon especially seems to contain plenty of salt, same with with most Asian noodles, fresh or dried, at least to my tastebuds. When I buy fresh wheat noodles in Chinatown, whether egg or plain, they don't need salt either. But I definitely salt the water for Italian pasta. The first time I ever cooked dried udon I think I salted it; lesson learned. Look at the ingredients list and the salt level can be frightening.

I just checked the locally made and the imported Japanese udon noodles I have in stock. Although both do contain salt it's the last listed ingredient (the lists being in order of amount by law), so not very salty. Same with the ramen noodles I have.

I, too, always salt Italian pastas.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I just checked the locally madeand the imported Japanese udon noodles I have in stock. Although both do contain salt it's the last listed ingredient (the lists being in order of amount by law), so not very salty. Same with the ramen noodles I have.

I, too, always salt Italian pastas.

Yeah, but how many ingredients are there? And whatever is in the ramen flavor packet does double duty if the noodles themselves aren't salty enough.

Isn't it morning where you are? Don't you have anything better to do than check your udon packages? If you are slurping wonton soup I'm totally envious. I'm just settling in for an evening of The Great British Baking Show, from which I learn a great deal, although mostly not about baking. Cheers! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Yeah, but how many ingredients are there? And whatever is in the ramen flavor packet does double duty if the noodles themselves aren't salty enough.

Isn't it morning where you are? Don't you have anything better to do than check your udon packages? If you are slurping wonton soup I'm totally envious. I'm just settling in for an evening of The Great British Baking Show, from which I learn a great deal, although mostly not about baking. Cheers! 

9 in total.

My ramen noodles are not the dried ramen with flavour packs you are talking about. These are fresh vacuum packed noodles with nothing else. I add whatever I fancy, thereby controlling the salt levels, although it's not something I obsess about.

It's 1 pm here on Sunday and being retired, I do whatever I want, whenever I want (with due regard to local laws). Anyway, checking the ingredients on a pack of noodles took up a whole 15 seconds of my life.

No wonton noodles today. Have other plans.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1