• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

I'm going to bore you with my husbands lunch boxes because I have nothing else going on in my life 😂

20201211_204614.thumb.jpg.4f5ee0e5b6ed396337bcfa32c06c8d03.jpg

Tomorrow he has D.I.Y Nachos with Salsa, Sour Cream, Cheese and Pickled Jalapenos. Carrot Sticks and Humus and some Pickle and Ham Sticks with Mustard. 

Inspiration/Ideas always welcomed. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

Yesterday’s Lunch - Microwave Nachos with a dollop of Sour Cream

Edited 1 hour ago by robirdstx (log)

I want to make nachos but every time I think I will do so I discover I am short at least one critical ingredient. 😂

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I want to make nachos but every time I think I will do so I discover I am short at least one critical ingredient. 😂

At our house, we eat a lot of "almost" foods.    "Almost nachos". "almost tacos", "almost Greek salad",.    As well as cross cultural concoctions: Italo-Sino stir fry, Mexi-Indian quesadillas.    Usually delicious, always "interesting" and no one to judge.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

Japanese lunch with a little helper: Menchi-katsu ...

Mixing ...

04109801-25FC-412A-9BC8-7E36E5CD8566.thumb.jpeg.26b4508a59f472aecf3aa77800cdb84f.jpeg

Being proud of producing a proper panko coating ...

34BA9EBA-D8D1-4310-A623-D1EA90E1B12B.thumb.jpeg.425e90529ff7b7a3a9164beea3ff8e31.jpeg

The hardest part: letting them rest for an hour 🤤

3B594CD3-4029-4BFD-844F-D6BEE87E5CEC.thumb.jpeg.71cb746a9eadc8fe7fc56786997257a7.jpeg

With side salad and sauce ...

F6BAB17B-88B9-4F8F-A769-583209D88F0B.thumb.jpeg.9b3e190bcc5ddff6b031ccdc5e450af0.jpeg

Piping hot and juicy ! Helper was delighted, too ...

FE6A5A10-5F8E-4FCF-A4F2-1CF1D6F66615.thumb.jpeg.6e66ef5e37ba808960a929d46b520b0d.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

Had leftover baked tater and canned corn = Boston Clam Chowder, topped with fresh dill and Tajin seasoning. Can't find oyster crackers here, so I thought I'd toss in a couple of waffle pretzels. Nope...way too crunchy! 😄

708203377_ClamChowder2784.jpg.6305fc2308c37a3889cfb45c53be34aa.jpg

Made a big pot of Hot'n'Sour soup today, to take to our daughter in the city next week, and to share with our son and friends in town.

199036557_HotnSourSoup2794.jpg.ecfd32fb71cfc344318c77e2312fc86c.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

For the 2nd time ever we made New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice, only this time we doubled the recipe and bagged 8 additional bags to reheat later.

I also cooked the sausage separately sous vide and added them whole and will cut up when go to reheat,  this keeps small bits of pork from hiding since my wife wants none of it :)

We use a smoked ham hock that gives it some awesome flavor, and that's enough porky-ness for my wife.

20201214_111640.thumb.jpg.d7f06f764a3514a145b09bdfebae2276.jpg

• Like 6

I was getting tired of the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, and the boring dishes I was making.  But then I remembered my chicken salad sandwich recipe and realized turkey would be delicious in this sandwich.  And of course, homemade mayonnaise makes the difference. Slivered almonds and sliced grapes are also delicious in this sandwich.  

Roast Chicken Salad Sandwich.JPG

4 cups chopped, cold roast turkey or chicken meat

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tbsp. capers, chopped

2 tbsp. caper juice

2 tbsp. dill relish

3/4 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped green onions

salt and pepper to taste

6 tbsp. soft butter

8 thick slices of crusty bread

1 cup thinly sliced red radishes

butter lettuce leaves

Pull the meat off the chilled roasted chicken, discarding the skin and bones.  Place the meat in a food processor and quickly pulse to finely chop the chicken meat. Place the chopped chicken in a large bowl and add the mayonnaise, capers, caper juice, dill relish, celery and greens onions and mix to combine.  Add additional mayonnaise as needed to make a creamy chicken salad.  Season with salt and pepper.

Butter one side of each slice of bread.  Heat a skillet over medium heat and toast the bread, butter side down, until golden, about two minutes.

To assemble the sandwiches, place one piece of bread, buttered side down for the bottom layer.  Add some butter lettuce, then a layer of sliced radishes.  Spoon some chicken salad on top of the radishes, then top with a slice of bread, toasted side up.  Serve with chips and fresh radishes or pickles.

Fresh-Mayonnaise.jpg

For mayonnaise I like to use Greek olive oil, but some may not like the bold flavor, so I sometimes use grapeseed oil or avocado oil.

Homemade mayonnaise-

2 large eggs

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1-1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano

Place the eggs, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste in a blender. Process just until ingredients are combined, about 20 seconds.

With blender running at low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil in a slow steady stream. Continue to add enough oil until the mayonnaise thickens. This will take about 3-5 minutes. 

Refrigerate the mayonnaise at least one hour before using to allow it to cool and the oil to set.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

33 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Had to look this up.  Can you share your recipe?

Look forward to @Paul Bacino recipe. In the meantime this video is close to what they do at local farmers market, Various fillings are offered Some just bean & cheese, one swaps out chorizo for the pork shoulder (my favorite). The curtido (cabbage/carrot pickle) is essential along with your favorite hot sauce.  https://tasty.co/recipe/salvadoran-pupusas-as-made-by-curly-and-his-abuelita  They show a large quantity  - but easy to cut down 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Look forward to @Paul Bacino recipe. In the meantime this video is close to what they do at local farmers market, Various fillings are offered Some just bean & cheese, one swaps out chorizo for the pork shoulder (my favorite). The curtido (cabbage/carrot pickle) is essential along with your favorite hot sauce.  https://tasty.co/recipe/salvadoran-pupusas-as-made-by-curly-and-his-abuelita  They show a large quantity  - but easy to cut down 

@Heidih @Shelby _- that is the dough recipe I use/  Now  these things u can basically add different stuff/  here I used a black bean .  But I will also add carne or pork to it also/  use the similiar cabbage recipe/  I try to cut down on Mexicam oregano..  cuz it can be over whelming.

Salsa Roja--  was similiar two roma's  ( I think I have some left over diced stuff )/ onion/ clove of garlic/ serrano/ we bit of mexican oregano/ s and p tt/ blend

Most of the time I free balling it.  Just kidding..   Usually just adapt recipes that i have stuff for

Cheers and happy Holidays

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its good to have Morels

C608A703-2D48-4392-843E-616F37F5E16E.thumb.jpeg.85637d819c3ed723dd2ac241803396e2.jpeg6

Mini garlic naan with tomato sauce, artichokes and cheese. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Yesterday we picked up lunch at Popeye’s after my PT:

IMG_4298.jpg.808bf0ee71e97bd2273869b6682342bd.jpg

Today:

IMG_4310.jpg.695472b5f57dcf3f406f81422d573f4a.jpg

I love little snack plates like that. I often do those around 3 or 4pm to fortify myself before cooking something hot for dinner.

• Like 1