• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Ever since lockdown I’ve been carbing  it up, and naan flatbread with shrimp and pesto has been my jam. A flavor bomb of deliciousness. My low carb substitute is low carb tortilla, mozzarella, shrimp, and Calabrian chili oil for some heat. I’m not complaining. 

F079E6B4-F022-460D-B07A-8DEC5AB01027.jpeg.52f7d50dc8670073064e613e475684dd.jpeg

Edited by patti (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Cannibal sandwich made from the chain that runs alongside venison tenderloin.  Raw venison, raw onion, salt, pepper, parsley, a bit of olive oil and some parsley on pumpernickel.  I'm stuck at home isolating so no worries about the bad breath.

File_000 (2).jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

The one. The only.

IMG_2919.thumb.jpeg.ef13624bc5a078d22d30b04b5317063d.jpeg

The original. One of the few coal burning pizza oven pizzerias in the city.

Don't order a small - order a large pie, still under $15. (They don't make a small.)

Light, airy, delicious, with a fine sauce:cheese ratio.

The original in Harlem?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KennethT said:

The original in Harlem?

You know it! I was "uptown" yesterday, and after I was done with the appointment (which I drove to), I swung by and picked up two pies.  Gave one to the guys in our garage. I think it was $26 for both and I tipped $4.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lunch on Wednesday was a pick up from a favorite restaurant – known for having the best chili dog in the city.  Ergo - chili dogs, fries, and a small Caesar for Mr. Kim:

IMG_4139.jpg.1650b2187f104b2997f1c784eeb8e14c.jpg

Chili is so good that I took a bite in spite of the presence of raw onions.

Egg salad, fries, and the other half of the salad for me:

IMG_4140.jpg.5eb5c1bddb56594d505b5f5000a1fcc5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 3

Our new fave delivery restaurant sends dinner rolls with our order (even if we only order appys).  We normally don't eat a lot of carbs, but these rolls are quite good (herbs mixed into dough).  If we order a 'wet' dish like a birria (stew) or chamorro (falling apart pork shank braised in a chile liquid) having a roll for sopping is quite welcome. 

Problem is, they send a lot....as in 7 to 10 each time.  Before you suggest I ask them to send fewer.....well, you've probably never lived in MX.  If I were to ask for less, I will get none.  That's just the way it is here. 

The other day I used some in a 'lite' stuffing for portobellos.  Today i used as slider rolls.  I still have 17 left in the freezer.  

sliders.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Our new fave delivery restaurant sends dinner rolls with our order (even if we only order appys).  We normally don't eat a lot of carbs, but these rolls are quite good (herbs mixed into dough).  If we order a 'wet' dish like a birria (stew) or chamorro (falling apart pork shank braised in a chile liquid) having a roll for sopping is quite welcome. 

Problem is, they send a lot....as in 7 to 10 each time.  Before you suggest I ask them to send fewer.....well, you've probably never lived in MX.  If I were to ask for less, I will get none.  That's just the way it is here. 

The other day I used some in a 'lite' stuffing for portobellos.  Today i used as slider rolls.  I still have 17 left in the freezer.  

sliders.jpg

Oh, my goodness.  Texture-wise would they work in a savory bread pudding?

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Oh, my goodness.  Texture-wise would they work in a savory bread pudding?

Yes.  But I am married to a carb-hater.  I made a BLT Panzanella this summer which he liked since the ratio of bread to the rest of the dish was low.  Actually...just realized these will make great croutons!   

• Like 1

Linguine with garlic crumbs and smoked sprats

u9DVCZT.jpg

i4WEH2e.jpg

How Austrians use up leftover dumplings:

cdogtgP.jpg

Slice and fry in (Speck) fat. Popular additions are (scrambled) eggs, Speck, mushrooms etc.

WOYXvIB.jpg

The rest of the dumplings

HC1fp0t.jpg

@Dejah, (Turk's) turban squash: middle one, orange top.

Btw, I used the whole squash for all the pancakes.

KS0dUoo.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 12/3/2020 at 11:37 AM, weinoo said:

The one. The only.

IMG_2919.thumb.jpeg.ef13624bc5a078d22d30b04b5317063d.jpeg

The original. One of the few coal burning pizza oven pizzerias in the city.

Don't order a small - order a large pie, still under $15. (They don't make a small.)

Light, airy, delicious, with a fine sauce:cheese ratio.

What kind of a monster buys NYC pizza, then only shows a picture of the box, without a picture of the pie?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

7 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

What kind of a monster buys NYC pizza, then only shows a picture of the box, without a picture of the pie?

Allure and mystery as in fashion ;)

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, weinoo said:

You know it! I was "uptown" yesterday, and after I was done with the appointment (which I drove to), I swung by and picked up two pies.  Gave one to the guys in our garage. I think it was $26 for both and I tipped $4.

Angelo's on West 57th is coal fired, no? It was a half block from my Mom's apt. but she wasn't a big pizza eater so I only had it a few times. I don't remember it being stellar, though. But it's been a while.

7 hours ago, pastameshugana said:

If I  showed that pie to you, I'd have to...well, you know the rest.

6 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Angelo's on West 57th is coal fired, no? It was a half block from my Mom's apt. but she wasn't a big pizza eater so I only had it a few times. I don't remember it being stellar, though. But it's been a while.

Well, they'd like you to think that. And indeed it is (coal fired), but it's not one of the fab four...

coal-fired pizza is on the upswing, thanks to new, gas-assisted oven models and cleaner-burning coal. Despite conventional wisdom that coal-fueled ovens have been outlawed, the DEP’s proposed revisions to air-pollution codes call these chambers “previously unregulated sources of particulate matter” and only require that new ones employ control technology. 

So sorta like with barbecue places in the city, they have to put in very expensive "scrubbers" in the exhaust system.

Psssst.... @pastameshugana ...

1779663878_Patsys.thumb.jpeg.55d939291b1bc868d754dc3e0e0afcdc.jpeg

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 minutes ago, patti said:

Yesterday’s lunch, sausage, peppers and onions, with mustard. 

Looks quite delicious and reminds me of my favourite pepper and sausage dish. 
This.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't post here often but I do make lunch 8 days a fortnight for the hub (obvs every day for the child). I usually pack him a mix of fresh and leftovers. He leaves at 4am and returns at 6. 

Tomorrow he has a ham and salad wrap (fresh). Some pulled smoked beef (freezer find) with pickles and some ginger/soy/honey wings (fresh). I will also chuck in some fruit. 

Lunch boxes for life not just for children 😂

20201209_202935.thumb.jpg.a6d6659b2c4c223649d20ac577ac5bec.jpg

• Like 5

Mondongo Stew

Recent trip to DR  was really hoping to get a taste of some National dish stuff.  Really didn't happen.

Not sure if the Dominican people really eat this stuff.  But I made it

https://www.dominicancooking.com/685-mondongo-stewed-tripe.html

50692254732_88087dc53a_z.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 5

Its good to have Morels

@CantCookStillTry – I would very much like you to pack my lunch. 🍽️

We went out at lunch today to pick up raw peanuts from one of those little neighborhood candy and nut stores that used to be in every little town, but now barely exist.  I wish I’d taken my phone in because they still roast their peanuts in the store in a beautiful old Planters roaster.   You can get classic candies, ice cream, and fresh popcorn, too.  We had a parking lot lunch at a new BBQ place in town.  It is unusual for VA in that it is pork-free (though not Kosher because they do cheeseburgers):

IMG_4241.jpg.6154cea24165bcd75577e680a3706866.jpg

Mr. Kim got a very, very good sliced brisket and Brunswick soup (as opposed to stew):

IMG_4243.jpg.58337b2b2a5a7e470659cb81cb10fa5c.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg.5ec0a558d3be960537a9c545f6016d63.jpg

The soup was very obviously house-made and really good.  It was looser than a stew, which big chunks of potatoes and lots of chicken pieces. 

I got a big, honking bologna burger with a tangy BBQ sauce on it and excellent mac and cheese:

IMG_4245.jpg.db627b797bda4ff91390b5f2935b05d4.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg.fa31fbbaaa626bd132ddfb5831c22176.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5