• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

dāo xuē miàn  dāo xuē miàn  dāo xuē miàn 

Knife cut noodles (刀削面 dāo xuē miàn) are from Shanxi (山西), not Shaanxi (陕西.) Confusing, I know.

Whoops! I didn't realize that they weren't the same place with different anglicised spellings.

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

Whoops! I didn't realize that they weren't the same place with different anglicised spellings.

No. Two different, but adjacent provinces. I get confused even though I lived in one of them for a year! Shaanxi.

There is no confusion in Chinese. Well, there is a huge amount of confusion about Chinese, but not over these two provinces' names.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

With the bones from the shoulder of lamb the other day, I made Scotch broth - very satisfying brunch today!

1760417452_RoastedLambBone2615.jpg.1c809f00d657de8b7b3c5150b53d1b66.jpg

1785939451_ScotchBroth2638.jpg.bacc3aa3b733094675e272b7d309dff3.jpg

Threw in some leeks and turnips, carrot, peas, oregano, thyme, barley, whole black peppercorns, and topped with parsley

326715464_ScotchBroth2644.jpg.728c48f35591eb1955d6b3164bdf9f8b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

46 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Threw in some leeks and turnips, carrot, peas, oregano, thyme, barley, whole black peppercorns, and topped with parsley

Only place that barley belongs in my mind! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Only place that barley belongs in my mind! 

Okay, barley brain. My barley would be cited for contempt of court if it didn't end up in the Scotch Broth. However, I would consider leaving those turnips out. So you can be Barley Brain and I will be Turnip Head. Wow, I'm really enjoying being a couch potato the day before Thanksgiving. Pie is out of the oven and looking very good. Nothing left to do today except eat some of it while it is still a little warm. There was testy moment when my husband doubted the pie crust would be any good, since it was a new recipe for him. Live dangerously!

• Haha 2

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Since it was just the two of us I chose to make a nontraditional meal. Duck Kefka Tagine with Tarte Alsacienne for dessert (Made by my wife). With the duck I opened a 2012 Syrah from HDV, not pictured, but paired very well.

The Duck Kefka is one of my favorite meals hands down, and the tarte is amazing as well.

127587373_10225087593443940_7072951682212873478_o.thumb.jpg.7b17204aa8546ffe71aa1595f745c404.jpg

127002979_10225087599884101_4134136797822303945_o.thumb.jpg.03cae816634316c454be20f76ab75374.jpg

• Like 10

This was inspired by @Dejahand her Scotch Broth up-page, although it's nothing like Scotch Broth. I wanted to do Scotch broth but there is no lamb in the markets at the moment. Nor could I find the essential barley. The nearest I could get was Job's Tears, which are often substituted for barley, but are no relattion. Instead my eyes fell on some green mungbeans. That'll do.

So this is mungbean soup in a duck stock with leek, carrot, mushroms and further sinified with some "small bowl" black wood ear fungus. Made for a warming lunch on a cold day - the temperature has dropped from 26C to 7C in a week. Brrr!

1824755683_20201129_0900191.thumb.jpg.03d365028108ef053246b2974d70d0de.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Pointed cabbage

A0r9V6A.jpg

Based on a Hungarian dish called kaposztás tészta (but I don't have the specific pasta shape).

FaKMXb0.jpg

x5g0QF7.jpg

Beer and Polish curd cheese

0HlmkiR.jpg

Lunch 2: (Turk's) turban squash, kakis and Polish curd cheese.

2vwNKjk.jpg

Squash puree and cheese went into the pancakes. 20 of them.

7R4Vnj6.jpg

Kakis and some squash chunks were pureed together to make a sauce. And crispy fried Speck on the side.

r5FHYhe.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, liuzhou said:

This was inspired by @Dejahand her Scotch Broth up-page, although it's nothing like Scotch Broth. I wanted to do Scotch broth but there is no lamb in the markets at the moment. Nor could I find the essential barley. The nearest I could get was Job's Tears, which are often substituted for barley, but are no relattion. Instead my eyes fell on some green mungbeans. That'll do.

So this is mungbean soup in a duck stock with leek, carrot, mushroms and further sinified with some "small bowl" black wood ear fungus. Made for a warming lunch on a cold day - the temperature has dropped from 26C to 7C in a week. Brrr!

1824755683_20201129_0900191.thumb.jpg.03d365028108ef053246b2974d70d0de.jpg

Now I want green mung beans. Might have to make a dessert soup with peanuts, etc. Supposed to be a cooling ingredient?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

On 11/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, BonVivant said:

Pointed cabbage

A0r9V6A.jpg

Based on a Hungarian dish called kaposztás tészta (but I don't have the specific pasta shape).

FaKMXb0.jpg

x5g0QF7.jpg

Beer and Polish curd cheese

0HlmkiR.jpg

Lunch 2: (Turk's) turban squash, kakis and Polish curd cheese.

2vwNKjk.jpg

Squash puree and cheese went into the pancakes. 20 of them.

Kakis and some squash chunks were pureed together to make a sauce. And crispy fried Speck on the side.

You called these Turkish squash?  They are the same as Hachiya persimmons?
They really make your mouth pucker when not ripe. So would grilling make them better?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

You called these Turkish squash?  They are the same as Hachiya persimmons?
They really make your mouth pucker when not ripe. So would grilling make them better?

The persimmons are “kakis” in French.    And, yes, you leave them out at room temp until they are almost day-glo orange and somewhat translucent at which point you eat the insides with a spoon or use them in baking, cookies, quick bread ms or steamed pudding.

• Thanks 2

eGullet member #80.

44 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

The persimmons are “kakis” in French.    And, yes, you leave them out at room temp until they are almost day-glo orange and somewhat translucent at which point you eat the insides with a spoon or use them in baking, cookies, quick bread ms or steamed pudding.

They are very reasonable at the moment, so I had picked up several 2 lb bags @3.98! There are usually 5 - 6 persimmons in each bag. They are kept in the fridge and I pull them out a few at a time. When they are soft, we enjoy them out of hand.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, Dejah said:

Supposed to be a cooling ingredient?

Yes, if you believe such things.

I'm not a fan of sweet soups, but know that mung beans often feature.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, if you believe such things.

I'm not a fan of sweet soups, but know that mung beans often feature.

I was just recalling what my Mom said. It's good enough to know as it gives me opportunity to make and enjoy these foods! Another cooling ingredient is Bitter Melon and watermelon, which we love. Durian is yeet hai - hot ingredient, but we love it too!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie was at his cousins house when he took delivery of a large box of seafood. It made him hungry for a crab boil type dinner so that is what we had tonight.

20201130_173340.jpg

Quite a nice "get" in Kansas! Looks great.

• Thanks 1

The one. The only.

IMG_2919.thumb.jpeg.ef13624bc5a078d22d30b04b5317063d.jpeg

The original. One of the few coal burning pizza oven pizzerias in the city.

Don't order a small - order a large pie, still under $15. (They don't make a small.)

Light, airy, delicious, with a fine sauce:cheese ratio.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?