• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@KennethT nice. I prefer chivo (goat) but duck hits that profile. Ya gotta - really you do - sip the broth alongside. The essence that ties it all together.  Some inspiration perhaps https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-where-to-eat-birria-in-la-tacos-20190515-story.html

Editing to add J Gold's birria tribute https://www.laweekly.com/birria-forever-and-ever-and-ever/

we dunked the tacos in the broth....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weinoo said:

1538039822_Grilledcheeseandprosciutto11-15.jpeg.d81cbf43c9231d7041a7fb01c643ce0d.jpeg

Dragged the old boy out of the pantry.  Pressed comté and prosciutto on buttered white Pullman loaf, from Pain d'Avignon.

Scrumptious!   Thanks for reminding me to also drag the press out of the cupboard.   Fontina and garlicky spinach is one of my favorite combinations.  

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, shain said:

I missed on posting this one. We had roasted sweet potatoes with a glaze of miso, butter, five spice powder, soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic and brown sugar.

Interesting additions to sweet potato which can be one note. I do enjoy them with Korean gochujang. Do you generally toast your sesame seeds before sprinkling on? I see toasted ones for sale but one experience of rank ones put me off. Also I like the look of the black ones. Is it in my mind or is there a discernible taste difference to you?

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Interesting additions to sweet potato which can be one note. I do enjoy them with Korean gochujang. Do you generally toast your sesame seeds before sprinkling on? I see toasted ones for sale but one experience of rank ones put me off. Also I like the look of the black ones. Is it in my mind or is there a discernible taste difference to you?

I love sweet potatoes paired with nutty flavors - tahini and thyme, cream cheese and pecans, coconut (for example Indian chutneys, particularly with methi). Here the dream is mostly for the looks. I usually toast it in a pan before usage. It has a wide range of flavors depending on the darkness it is roasted to. Light it is sweet and nutty like Lebanese tahini and halvah. Reddish, it is carmely and sweet-bitter like Asian sesame paste and some of the darker tahini pastes. On the extreme it is almost burnt and tastes like more like sesame oil, this is often the level used for zaatar and the one achieved on breads like kaak and simit.

Black sesame tastes very different, it shares herbal-bitter notes with poppy seeds and black quinoa. In my opinion they are not interchangeable (at least not without making the dish something new). It works very well in sweets.

I love gochujang, I'd make sure to try and use it with sweet potatoes.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3

~ Shai N.

1130815233_Tamalericebeans11-16.thumb.jpeg.fd1872687f29e73b2fb4a3a15fe2544b.jpeg

Chicken and salsa verde tamale from Factory Tamal.  "Mexican" Rice from the Japanese rice cooker. Green chile Beans from the Napa Valley purveyor with green chili sauce from New Mexico.  Always nice to see how many miles my lunches travel.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

23 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Chicken and salsa verde tamale from Factory Tamal.  "Mexican" Rice from the Japanese rice cooker. Green chile Beans from the Napa Valley purveyor with green chili sauce from New Mexico.  Always nice to see how many miles my lunches travel.

Great tamal place with tradition respect. What "Mexicanized" your rice? 

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

image.png.69cdad491f504e6b197d2dcdb3850905.png

I am genetically unable to deal with milder green peppers though I know Rotel is beloved by many. My observation of the kitchens in old school Mexican restaurants here (pre the Alta California reclaim of tradition) is the jar of Caldo de tomate to cook the rice with maybe a teensy hint of cumino. https://www.mexgrocer.com/2685.html

Cold and overcast so for first meal of day a simple broccoli soup with a touch of onion & browned butter (so not the pristine Gordon Ramsey but hey Rebel Rebel) and my 1/2  whole wheat and half white bread with a bit of melted brie. Very happy.

• Like 2

Had a leftover baked yam in the freezer, defrosted in micro, cut in half, and put in the toaster oven to give it some texture. A little dab of apricot preserves mashed into the flesh. I think I may experiment with this, plus some white miso, to add some savory notes.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

58 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Had a leftover baked yam in the freezer, defrosted in micro, cut in half, and put in the toaster oven to give it some texture. A little dab of apricot preserves mashed into the flesh. I think I may experiment with this, plus some white miso, to add some savory notes.

Along those lines somewhere the other day  saw the sweet potato cut side down in  hot pan on the cut side down.to carmelize a bit. Similar flavoring as you mention. Bought one yesterday to give it a spin. Kind of like this. https://food52.com/recipes/84388-baked-sweet-potatoes-with-maple-crme-frache-recipe

I spied a serving's worth of fresh pasta that I'd stashed in the freezer.  Cooked it up, tossed with zucchini, sugar snap peas, roasted red pepper, a dab of Vivian Howard's Herbdacious pesto-like stuff made with mixed herbs and roasted garlic, and a sprinkle of feta.

IMG_3343.thumb.jpeg.4f5eac08d01c026228762699508b5a68.jpeg

Hit the spot!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

Thai-ish noodle soup concoction.  This is the last of my Thai chicken stock (I'm planning to make more on the long weekend), made into soup with Shaanxi knife cut noodles, duck confit meat and some little choy; pile of herbs for adding in the background - mint (it is overgrowing the garden, even though it is theoretically contained in its own pot), rau ram, thai basil and sawtooth coriander. Duck skin crisped in the CSO - 275F convection bake for about a half hour.

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20201122125507656_COVER.thumb.jpg.74940b7d5f10251601c585d680ec482a.jpg

• Like 8

dāo xuē miàn  dāo xuē miàn  dāo xuē miàn 

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Shaanxi knife cut noodles

Knife cut noodles (刀削面 dāo xuē miàn) are from Shanxi (山西), not Shaanxi (陕西.) Confusing, I know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto