• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

1 hour ago, robirdstx said:

34D5F401-D445-464C-B5A1-612FA10E1F79.thumb.jpeg.7d20ea801e896237e7d2821a147913dc.jpeg

Homemade Pork Egg Rolls with Mae Ploy Sweet Chilli Sauce

I would LOVE to have your recipe for those.  It's been years since I've tried to make egg rolls and I remember that my problem was getting them full enough or tightly wrapped enough.  But I wasn't a terribly experienced cook in those days.  

7 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I would LOVE to have your recipe for those.  It's been years since I've tried to make egg rolls and I remember that my problem was getting them full enough or tightly wrapped enough.  But I wasn't a terribly experienced cook in those days.  

Credit for the egg rolls goes to @Shelby for sharing the recipe and method she uses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you to you and to @Shelby, then!  

Thank you. Let me elaborate. The first time I made these egg rolls was back in April and I used the Spring Home wraps as recommended in the recipe. When I wanted to make them again, I decided not to go to the Asian market for the frozen wraps, and instead bought the fresh Nasoya ones in the produce section of my grocery store. The fresh ones are thicker, but were stretchy enough to make good rolls. There is a definite difference in the finished roll. The Spring Home wrapped rolls were shatteringly crisp, while the Nasoya were a bit chewy. I liked both.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Duck soup. Stock made from Beijing Duck carcass. Duck breast, leeks, garlic, scallions and white pepper. Baguette for dunking.

Quite, quite jealous. Looks delicious. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday's late lunch, after a late breakfast and before a late dinner:

IMG_3693.jpg.27657641322e3978162fb26b7fb80f04.jpg

Cheeses are Point Reyes Bay bleu and Murray’s Brie Fermier.  The Brie was the stinkiest Brie we’ve ever eaten.  It was sitting on the kitchen counter and we could smell it around the corner in the dining room.  Good, though.  Served with fig salami, crackers, fig jam, and some Golden Syrup.  The syrup was a gift from Jessica, bless her heart.  I have no idea why anyone would buy this in the cans anymore.  Yes, they are beautiful.  When this one is empty, I'll wash it and put it on a shelf to show off in my kitchen.  And then I will only ever buy the squeeze bottle.  What a freaking mess the can is to serve from.  Nothing helps - you can't spoon or pour from it.  And if you're going to transfer it to another dispenser, you might as well buy the squeeze bottle in the first place!  Rant completed.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Yesterday's late lunch, after a late breakfast and before a late dinner:

IMG_3693.jpg.27657641322e3978162fb26b7fb80f04.jpg

Cheeses are Point Reyes Bay bleu and Murray’s Brie Fermier.  The Brie was the stinkiest Brie we’ve ever eaten.  It was sitting on the kitchen counter and we could smell it around the corner in the dining room.  Good, though.  Served with fig salami, crackers, fig jam, and some Golden Syrup.  The syrup was a gift from Jessica, bless her heart.  I have no idea why anyone would buy this in the cans anymore.  Yes, they are beautiful.  When this one is empty, I'll wash it and put it on a shelf to show off in my kitchen.  And then I will only ever buy the squeeze bottle.  What a freaking mess the can is to serve from.  Nothing helps - you can't spoon or pour from it.  And if you're going to transfer it to another dispenser, you might as well buy the squeeze bottle in the first place!  Rant completed.  

This reminds me of a story from about 15 years ago - my wife and I were heading to visit her father and flying by Jet Blue.  We had somewhat recently returned from a vacation in France and were on a French cheese kick.  We thought it would be a great idea to get a nice Camembert and baguette for lunch while on the plane... anyway, to make a long story short, while we're sitting in our seats waiting for takeoff, the plastic bag containing the wrapped cheese sitting on the floor under our seat, we start to smell something a little... funky.  The Camembert was nice and ripe indeed and was announcing its presence on the plane.  We were mortified - we had no idea that it would be that pungent.  It was delicious, but we really felt bad for all those sitting around us...

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, lindag said:

So are you the guy who cooks fish in the office microwave?

worse... shrimp paste....  just kidding - my work lunches are always the same thing - some pasta with Rao's tomato sauce... that's why they've never (and will never) appear on this thread!!

• Haha 2

I'm not a fan of faux meat, I usually prefer to choose dishes that are vegetarian by nature, or those in which meat is a secondary flavoring/texture agent (i.e. mapo tofu) and can therefore be substituted.

But sometimes one just feels for a specific dish.

Setian meatballs not-meat-cubes ( :P ) bound with eggs, parmesan, smoked paprika, garlic, herbs, dark malt syrup, chili, pepper. I bake them like a meatloaf and cut into cubes. They doesn't taste like, but they are quite good.

Simple tomato sauce with butter, onion, garlic, sage and chili flakes.

PXL_20200928_121022966.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, KennethT said:

This reminds me of a story from about 15 years ago - my wife and I were heading to visit her father and flying by Jet Blue.  We had somewhat recently returned from a vacation in France and were on a French cheese kick.  We thought it would be a great idea to get a nice Camembert and baguette for lunch while on the plane... anyway, to make a long story short, while we're sitting in our seats waiting for takeoff, the plastic bag containing the wrapped cheese sitting on the floor under our seat, we start to smell something a little... funky.  The Camembert was nice and ripe indeed and was announcing its presence on the plane.  We were mortified - we had no idea that it would be that pungent.  It was delicious, but we really felt bad for all those sitting around us...

You didn't share?

• Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Minimum spices, maximum flavour- boeuf bourgignon... a bit of FXCuisine, a bit of Julia Child and a few of tricks I picked along the way. Smells and tastes far  better than it looks. (A thing I should have done is either to thicken or reduce the sauce, but I left it as is to make reheating easier... it can always be done when reheating.)

bourgignon.thumb.jpg.92be9ec5ad4e2b1ab8fb8c5255142b1e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

Made a Guinness stew for John to take up to Poughkeepsie.  Pulled out potatoes, carrots, onions and parsnips and made a mushroom gravy for myself.

Meatballs are in production for baking for later; shrimp for roasting are thawing.

Made a pile of John's pasta so he can heat up whatever he wants when he gets home later.

Meat ball sub or lunch later...

Also had made tuna salad for a sandwich as well as mixing with some macaroni salad.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Done folding and sealing.

bkNJNio.jpg

Cooked gyoza-style

7JMU8hB.jpg

yOvSwKh.jpg

Simply steamed

pVLccd4.jpg

The filling is the squash is the big one in bottom photo and on back seat of the bike, pink salmon colour . Deep orange flesh, and sweet.

YMQ6Dvi.jpg

On my 5th tray of Bursa black figs

Ew47wM7.jpg

Warm soft tofu with ginger-honey syrup

wtaORDg.jpg

JmIXOO2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

20 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Done folding and sealing.

bkNJNio.jpg

Cooked gyoza-style

7JMU8hB.jpg

yOvSwKh.jpg

Simply steamed

pVLccd4.jpg

The filling is the squash is the big one in bottom photo and on back seat of the bike, pink salmon colour . Deep orange flesh, and sweet.

YMQ6Dvi.jpg

On my 5th tray of Bursa black figs

Ew47wM7.jpg

Warm soft tofu with ginger-honey syrup

wtaORDg.jpg

JmIXOO2.jpg

I like the folding style on your dumplings. My hands are not so nimble anymore so looks simpler than pleating, yet appealing. The fig/cheese combo  :)

Edited by heidih (log)