• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2020

liuzhou

Leftovers from here.

878BF824-41E5-43C4-BF4B-4B966C9843BE.thumb.jpeg.241776de358959216c666f27550e833b.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today at home my wife mostly recreated a dish we had in Napa at Round Pond last week:  

Burrata Cheese, Pesto, Cherry Tomatoes, Roasted Corn, and some lemon flavored olive oil:

20200820_110602.thumb.jpg.bf89b06754fe81d3e9abcbae9a6e114c.jpg

The original had roasted squash, For me addition of something crunchy would help (I ate some spicy chips along with this toward the end).

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Rarely do I make an appearance in the lunch thread - not because I do not consume the meal, but rather it is typically not that exciting but equally, I rarely recall in time to capture the moment!  Not so yesterday as I thought some of you would like this one ( @Anna N in particular!) 

49DFEFCA-BCA7-458B-956C-B8B5382971D1.thumb.jpeg.b877b91741b1872ef60946c4d850e704.jpeg

cherry tomatoes, st agur blue, pickled onions, baby lettuce, cracked pepper.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

cherry tomatoes, st agur blue, pickled onions, baby lettuce, cracked pepper.  

Fabulous. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today for lunch, from one of Mary Berry's cookbooks: Individual Cheese, Tomato, & Thyme Tartlets.  

20200823_112255.thumb.jpg.66de84b904e56c6751099ef45ccb0721.jpg

For the two I ate, my wife put way less cheese in, and it was amazing (I don't like gooey cheese).

Paired nicely with the 2004 HDV Pinot - I coravinned another glass.

Edited by Raamo
Added in amazon link for Cookbook. (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@TicTac – thank you for posting that lovely sandwich.  Very inspiring.  I’ve got a little bit of Cambozola in the fridge and some lovely tomatoes.  I think that will be lunch tomorrow.

@BonVivant – are the sous vide yolks used as a spread under your shrimp?  I really think that I need to do this.  I’m thinking as a spread on a BLT. 

@Raamo– do you know which of Mary Berry’s cookbooks that tart recipe came from?  I’d really love to try that.    

Yesterday we were out running errands, so we got a late lunch/early dinner car meal at Pa’s Dogs & Ma’s Burgers – a tiny little joint with a six seat counter and outdoor seating.  We aren’t eating inside places yet and it was 80F+, so we ate in the car.  I got the Slim Jim:

IMG_3217.jpg.62a2b77af20ecfac42567d9a33dc359e.jpg

Ham, Swiss, lettuce, and special sauce.  I hadn’t had one in years.  As a kid in Northern VA, I used to get them at Hot Shoppes and Bob’s Big Boy.  I didn’t know anyone made them anymore.  Mr. Kim got the chili-cheese burger:

IMG_3218.jpg.5257e77c6c644aab7730f040b9728408.jpg

We shared some fries:

IMG_3219.jpg.cff1ef6c08bac0f43e6f0d6012da5553.jpg

They even threw in a whoopie pie:

IMG_3229.jpg.040484509de17448b8eb47d617c16a3f.jpg

Which was really nice of them.  Except I detest whoopie pie filling (love the cakes) – it leaves a film on the tongue and is just sweet without much in the way of flavor and I hate when it gets hard.  I much prefer something creamy or marshmallow-y. 

For some reason, I can't find a thread on produce stands, so I'll post our haul from yesterday here - 

IMG_3223.jpg.f2f85a175f7c397742fd5f26eff959d0.jpg

This was our first visit to this stand.  We also got dry scallops and NC shrimp.  They have Rappahannock oysters, too.  Hoping they are still open and have the oysters in October so that I can get some to freeze for Thanksgiving stuffing.  We were really pleased with our first visit.  They had a great assortment of produce and baked goods. They were really friendly and helpful.  And everyone was masked.  Unlike the last stand we were going to. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

Rigatoni with previously frozen rosé sauce (tomato and cream). A few blistered cherry tomatoes and a lot of chives (which works great with this sauce).

IMG_20200818_160450.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 5

~ Shai N.

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Rose sauce?  Made with rose water?

As in rosé. This is the term we use in Israel for what is better known as "vodka sauce". I guess it is derived from Italian "salsa rosa". However I'm pretty sure that Italians don't use this term for the sauce.

Google suggest "pasta al baffo" for a version with ham. I wonder what lead to it being named after "mustache" (baffo)...

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, Raamo said:

Thanks so much.  As I was looking for that book online, another book came up called Classic Home Cooking and Mary Berry's co-author was @marlena spieler (an eG'er that used to post here a lot).  It's funny, but a couple of years ago, Marlena's name would have been the only one I recognized.  I had never heard of Mary Berry until The Great British Baking Show.  I went ahead and ordered it ($6.99).  At $31, the one that you linked to will have to wait a bit! 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

" Missed it by that Much "

Power Bread/grilled mortadella/Nasturtium Flowers-  were my demise for a good soft yolk/  medium egg cooked in Black vinegar/ lava salt

Did you eat the nice peppery flowers? Grow yourself?

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

Did you eat the nice peppery flowers? Grow yourself?

Yep-- also grew them my self/  Love the taste/  the grean leaves make a great pesto

So I went to get the flowers as my egg was poaching/ only to come back to a rolling boil with my egg  ( Ooops there goes another soft yolk again )   :)   

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

13 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Yep-- also grew them my self/  Love the taste/  the grean leaves make a great pesto

So I went to get the flowers as my egg was poaching/ only to come back to a rolling boil with my egg  ( Ooops there goes another soft yolk again )   :)   

Do you pickle the seed pods for "poor man capers" - they are great  I do it every year  https://www.gardenbetty.com/poor-mans-capers-pickled-nasturtium-pods/

• Like 1

One of the last 2 meals (from other than our own kitchen) pre-confinement was a pizza from a quite local pizzeria, Scarr's. They grind their own flour, etc. etc.

For lunch one day earlier in the week on my daily walk, I stopped by, ordered, and took this home...

1964838982_ScarrsPizza08-25SOGH2203.jpeg.bd876683b6855522a6a6f06d4c993238.jpeg 

And it was so freakin' good.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Sunday lunch for the family:

20200830_122505.thumb.jpg.7499ac66f0c57ae876ec7bf2c77637eb.jpg

Baked penne pasta with marinara and meatballs; Parmigiano green beans, fried okra, peas.

20200830_125320.jpg

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com